Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Healing 10-Speed Build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Healing 10-Speed Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-17, 05:26 AM
sgbarrell

Bikes: Healing 10 Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Healing 10-Speed Build

Hi guys, wanted to share my Healing build with you all. Let me know what you think

So first is the photo from TradeMe(like eBay):

I took her for a quick spin, then promptly stripper her down (Pic 2)

Some of you may have spotted that I cut off and ground all of the cable guides as she's going to be a front brake only, fixed gear... purists look away! (pic 3)

After hours of sanding, the frame and forks are almost completely bare metal(just a few tricky spots to get). I'll post pics once its done and hopefully I'll start priming tomorrow afternoon(weird, futuristic NZ time).

Aaaaand I cant post URLs until I have 10 posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Side.jpg (66.2 KB, 356 views)
Frame.jpg (97.4 KB, 353 views)
Cable Guides Ground.jpg (51.8 KB, 352 views)
Old 05-11-17, 06:11 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Liked 1,373 Times in 865 Posts
Why the insistence on front brake only, which admittedly is at least far better than rear brake only? Even with a fixed gear, I would appreciate the redundancy and slightly shorter stopping distance of a dual brake system.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-11-17, 06:27 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,475 Times in 1,971 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Why the insistence on front brake only, which admittedly is at least far better than rear brake only? Even with a fixed gear, I would appreciate the redundancy and slightly shorter stopping distance of a dual brake system.
Besides, it gives you another hand position. I know I appreciate having two brakes on my fixed gear bike, especially on century rides. By the end of a hundred miles, my legs are pretty tired and it's nice to spread the braking effort out.
Old 05-11-17, 06:48 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,637 Times in 1,532 Posts
When riding a fixed gear, your legs are at least as good as a rear brake, so a front caliper brake suffices to give two brakes. Even when riding with a freewheel, I hardly ever use my rear brake.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-11-17, 06:56 AM
Kilroy1988 

Liked 1,858 Times in 614 Posts
I'm with @noglider on this one, but I'm also young and have only been hit by a car once while riding a bicycle (it was not a fixed gear). So maybe I fall into the impetuous category. I almost always stick to just a front brake on my fixed gear rides, and when I do have two set up I virtually never use the rear. If I were to ride a century, as mentioned above, I might think twice, especially for the sake of my knees.

Anyway, I think we're going to scare away this promising member if we keep up like this! Welcome to Bike Forums, where every conversation does not rapidly degenerate to semantics or safety... Stick around. Hope to see how your bike turns out.

-Gregory
Old 05-11-17, 12:45 PM
sgbarrell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I just read/assumed that with a fixed gear rear brakes weren't really necessary but if it turns out to be preferable then I will definitely throw one on. The stock guides on the frame were not nice so they had to go.
Old 05-11-17, 01:02 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't understand the desire to permanently damage the frame just so you don't have empty cable guides. It makes no sense to me.

My guess is you won't get much love here for that.

And of COURSE you're converting it to fixed. (Which you'll probably end up riding it as a single speed.) What else would the aspiring hipster do?

"I want my bike to be not practical at all, but at least it'll look cool!"
Old 05-11-17, 01:10 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Liked 635 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
When riding a fixed gear, your legs are at least as good as a rear brake...
Not my legs. Gimme two brakes, every day, all day long

[MENTION=460724]sgbarrell[/MENTION], yes, welcome to the forums. It's your bike and you do what you want with it. But there are a lot of cranky old guys here (like me) who will give you grief for permanently altering an old bike frame, which they self-righteously deem unnecessary. Technically they are right. Try not to take it personally, we're actually a decent lot here.

Lol, and since the brand name of the bike is "Healing" let us now repeat the Hippocratic Oath: "First, do no harm..."
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 05-11-17 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-11-17, 01:18 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 4,983 Times in 2,292 Posts
Modify & paint to your tastes - it's not a historically significant bike.
In fact, congrats on improving the frame's condition.

I don't ride fixed, but I can't think of a downside to 2 brakes, other than possibly offending an unwritten fixie appearance protocol.
Old 05-11-17, 01:23 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Liked 666 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
I don't understand the desire to permanently damage the frame just so you don't have empty cable guides. It makes no sense to me.

And of COURSE you're converting it to fixed. (Which you'll probably end up riding it as a single speed.) What else would the aspiring hipster do?

You just proved your second statement. Nice job, there.

It's the OP's bike, it's not a Masi. The guides were in bad shape according to OP. OP is free to do as he/she wishes. At least they are on a bike.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 05-11-17, 02:49 PM
Big Block

Liked 159 Times in 80 Posts
This classic/vintage section of "This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more."

Many of the comments made to date in this thread have taken a narrow interpretation of the stated aim of this section.

There is a
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear section where readers are guided by "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Although, I would hardly think he would have mangled the spelling of derailleur like that set out in the 'quote'.

You may endure less angst in that section.
Across 'the ditch' there was another Healing brand, which was a different organisation to the NZ variety.

My current project is also a fixed gear, 3 speed variety (Sturmey Archer 3 speed fixed). It will be installed on a 1952 Hobbs of Barbican frame that spent its early life travelling local roads to you
It will have two brakes because I am reluctant to use back pressure to slow as the flanges on the body of the Sturmey Archer ASC hub are very thin alloy. I note that traditionally British fixed gear time trial bikes generally did only have a front brake. Have a look through Classic Lightweight's Time Trials 1940's/1950's
So if you wrote that you were rebuilding your bike boom frame to be of the style of a 1940s/50s British Time Trial bike you would be absolutely correct.
Old 05-11-17, 03:39 PM
sgbarrell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33

It doesn't need to make sense to you. It's my bike and I'll do with it as I please. I like to customize as much as possible to make the bike my own.

This isn't my first bike, I've been riding/modifying/restoring bikes my whole life. I knew the 'hipster' comment was coming eventually, but didn't think it'd come quite this soon. I don't have a beard.

Thanks for your opinion though, maybe just lighten up a bit.
Old 05-11-17, 04:54 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sgbarrell
I just read/assumed that with a fixed gear rear brakes weren't really necessary but if it turns out to be preferable then I will definitely throw one on. The stock guides on the frame were not nice so they had to go.
Well, originally a fixed-gear was often a track bike. Track bikes don't have brakes (or anything else, to keep weight to a minimum), but the riders use special gloves where they can grip the tire to brake. Then again, on the track it is assumed that riders know enough not to do something stupid...
Old 05-11-17, 04:55 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,111 Times in 1,586 Posts
Right on a fixed gear track bike brakes are not necessary or allowed but...if your going to take you fixed gear on the street better safe than sorry.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-11-17, 06:05 PM
sgbarrell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. As I said, I'm definitely going to run a front brake and will decide if I want a rear one after a bit of riding.

Where I live and will be riding is certainly no big city and is fairly flat so I'm not too concerned. I rode brakeless bmx bikes as commuters through my teen years without too much issue but I will see how it goes.
Old 05-11-17, 06:49 PM
clasher

Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I like to have both brake levers since I'm used to riding on the hoods. I've seen people hook up the unused brake lever to a bell. I also have bad knees now and braking with legs hurts them so I don't do it. Cable clamps or clamp-on cable stops are a good way to put brakes back on.
Old 05-11-17, 07:04 PM
sgbarrell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clasher
I like to have both brake levers since I'm used to riding on the hoods. I've seen people hook up the unused brake lever to a bell. I also have bad knees now and braking with legs hurts them so I don't do it. Cable clamps or clamp-on cable stops are a good way to put brakes back on.
Very understandable. Yeah that's the plan if I decide to run a rear brake. I much prefer the look of the cable clamps to the stock guides.
Old 05-11-17, 07:30 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Liked 2,193 Times in 1,191 Posts
It doesn't need to make sense to you. It's my bike and I'll do with it as I please. I like to customize as much as possible to make the bike my own.

This isn't my first bike, I've been riding/modifying/restoring bikes my whole life. I knew the 'hipster' comment was coming eventually, but didn't think it'd come quite this soon. I don't have a beard.

Thanks for your opinion though, maybe just lighten up a bit.
OP, Well said.... it is your bike, it is just a bike and as long as you make it a safe ride do what you please. Enjoy the ride!
Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 05-12-17, 01:06 AM
sgbarrell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
OP, Well said.... it is your bike, it is just a bike and as long as you make it a safe ride do what you please. Enjoy the ride!
Ben
Cheers, Ben!
Old 05-12-17, 01:14 AM
sgbarrell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Filled and sanded the rear brake mounting hole. No need to worry, I can easily punch it out later if I change my mind.
Attached Images
Brake Plug.jpg (48.4 KB, 196 views)
Old 05-12-17, 01:19 AM
sgbarrell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...and here she is after about 5 hours of sanding and wire brushing, as raw as she's going to get... I hung it off a crane cause I'm a super artistic iPhone photographer The forks are done too but they're not sexy.
Attached Images
Raw Frame.jpg (100.2 KB, 199 views)
Old 05-12-17, 01:28 AM
sgbarrell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally, here we are. I've just got done cleaning and priming and this is her current state:

Sorry for the bad quality, lighting in my garage is terrible. I had the main light plus 2 lamps set up to paint.

Also, note the donor/next project in the background. Another Healing 10-Speed I picked up for nothing

Sorry for the dump, I was kinda striving to get 10 posts so I can share URLs (dumb rule?!)
Attached Images
Primed.jpg (80.0 KB, 196 views)
Old 05-12-17, 01:48 AM
john_mct

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love the clean look and SS/FG bikes are fun for non-hipsters alike, but from what I recall Wellington NZ is one of the hilliest cities I've ever been in, I'd certainly want a rear brake to take some of the stress of slowing down downhill off the legs.
Old 05-12-17, 02:06 AM
sgbarrell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by john_mct
Love the clean look and SS/FG bikes are fun for non-hipsters alike, but from what I recall Wellington NZ is one of the hilliest cities I've ever been in, I'd certainly want a rear brake to take some of the stress of slowing down downhill off the legs.
Agreed! It's only hilly in the city. Where I live it's mostly flat and I'd have to go out of my way to ride hills.
Old 05-12-17, 02:43 AM
Big Block

Liked 159 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
Well, originally a fixed-gear was often a track bike. Track bikes don't have brakes (or anything else, to keep weight to a minimum), but the riders use special gloves where they can grip the tire to brake. Then again, on the track it is assumed that riders know enough not to do something stupid...
Fixed gear bikes were not restricted to the velodromes. Fixed gears were common on general bikes as well as road racing bikes. The common way to slow on a velodrome is to use your body weight on the upstroke of the cranks.
Or at least that is what occurs Down Under.

Nice to see good work being done to repurpose an old frame and give it a new life where it will be used.
What components are going back on the bike?

Any decals?

you might get some inspiration from https://fixedgeargallery.com/

Last edited by Big Block; 05-12-17 at 02:48 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.