Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

What are your favorite Clyde bib shorts and why?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-17, 11:06 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've been using the Bontrager Race Bib Shorts for the last few years. They are just what my LBS (back then) had in stock. I've also tried the Specialized Roubaix RBX model, the Aerotech Top Shelf model and I think the Ultra model from Performance bike, but I found myself always using the Bontragers.

I sort of impulse bought some Pearl Izumi Elites yesterday, but haven't ridden in them yet. The pad looks thicker than the Bontrager race pad and with less abrasive stitching. They also have a pro model that they didn't have in stock that has a much thinner pad on it. They said the pro shorts are for longer distances, but I'm wondering how the thinner pad would be better though.

Before just running out and grabbing another 3 pair of the Bontragers, I'm wondering what else is out there that's worth looking at? What do you use? How thick is the pad in it?
Old 05-15-17, 11:49 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
My favorites are Garneau club bibs, which are custom design for my Cycling club. I've never been able figure out what the generic version is, because they always seem different.

I've got a pair of 2015 Performance Ultra bibs, which are great, but they changed the design for later years and the newer ones don't fit me.
Old 05-15-17, 01:14 PM
ahanulec

Bikes: Felt F85, Proflex 757, Proflex 252

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have only ever used two different Voler bibs, Jet and Simplicity and another pair from Hill Killer.
I really like the Voler kit best. The material is so stretchy that I never have a problem with pressure points along the shoulder nor having shifting issues.
Dispute being a tall size, the Hill Killer bibs do not provide enough sizing in the shoulder straps to be comfortable.
Old 05-15-17, 01:17 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,007 Times in 1,257 Posts
If you like them, buy some more quickly. Designs change (and pads get thicker) faster than a mere mortal can keep up with.
Old 05-15-17, 02:15 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
If you like them, buy some more quickly. Designs change (and pads get thicker) faster than a mere mortal can keep up with.
I learned this to my detriment with the Performance bibs. I should have bought a few more pairs when I got these on sale.
Old 05-15-17, 02:38 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
That's the tough part. I need to put a bunch of miles on them to see if they are worth getting more.
Old 05-15-17, 02:51 PM
Gravel.Grinder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Louis Garneau Fit Sensor 2 shorts fit great. Good compression and the straps go over the nips +1.
Old 05-17-17, 06:19 AM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Did my first test ride with the Pearl Izumi Elite bib shorts last night and they passed with flying colors. I need to do a longer ride with them this weekend to see how they feel. If they are good, I might just go ahead and order 2 more pair of these.
Old 05-17-17, 09:44 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Liked 930 Times in 281 Posts
Capo to me has the best pads and use them for longer rides. I have some castelli stuff and sugios, both are good but Capo material is better even on jerseys. My club kits are custom built from Voler with their 6+ hour pads and they work very well.

I've had good luck with PI stuff in the past
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 05-17-17, 03:47 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
The performance ultra bibs have HUGE thick pads IMO. I always feel weird in them and so they get relegated to short (20 mi) weekday rides. Craft also make some very good American sized cycling clothing.

I never really liked the PI Elite stuff for bibs but I haven't worn any for 5+ years, so apply salt.

My favorites, although calling them "clyde" is a stretch, is Castelli free race aero with their progetto whatever it is bib.

Assos Fi Mille bibs are also very comfy (and very generously sized and have THE most comfortable shoulder straps) Currently on sale at excel sports in boulder for 138 or so.

The only bibs I own that I truly dislike are my sugoi bibs. GO figure.
Old 05-19-17, 04:15 AM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
D2D Road Cycling Clothing

Fits great, and the chamois is amazing
Old 05-19-17, 06:39 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravel.Grinder
Louis Garneau Fit Sensor 2 shorts fit great. Good compression and the straps go over the nips +1.
I like the Sensor 3's, but it is performance only model.
Old 05-19-17, 08:31 AM
rlp

Bikes: Franco Kanan, Santana Arriva and Beyond Tandems

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like my Voler "black label", they are a bit expensive but this is one of those contact points that spending some $$ pays off.
Old 05-19-17, 11:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Try Kucharek , sewn in US, Offering many options , including a fly like opening to pee through,
without taking the straps down &, taking the jersey off to do that.
Old 05-19-17, 07:34 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I like my Bellwether in 2x, but they are a club and not a race cut.
Old 05-20-17, 12:53 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Did 45 in the PI Elite's today and they were good. Think I'll order some more.
Old 05-24-17, 02:48 AM
JagR

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac 2017 - TREK Madone - Cannondale CAPO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone have experience w/the FIZIK LINK bib shorts? I ride an ALLIANTE (BULL) saddle and am curious to find out if they work well together? Comfort? Quality?
Old 05-24-17, 07:12 PM
donalson
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
boure classic bib shorts... why?... because the chamois sits where it should... I've had a few other pairs of shorts and bibs (falconi, aerotech design, and another brand I can't recall)... I'm not sure what is off with my fit/proportions other than I have a big rear end... but I run into the issue that most chamois end up having the rear most seam sitting right under my sit bones... OUCH... I talked to Boure and discussed my fit issues, for a small upcharge they will custom sew shorts/bibs for me; we decided we'd start with the largest size they had just for a base line and go from there... they ended up being great needing no changes.

next time I'm due for another set of bibs I'll prob try some other brands... but that'll be a little while
Old 05-24-17, 09:39 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Brands that I like for bibs are Gore and Assos. For shorts I like Assos and PI.
Old 06-18-17, 04:24 PM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
I had to wait to respond to this post, but it was worth the wait. I have Sugoi and Pearl shorts, I have bibs from Hillkiller and Aerotech. The Sugoi shorts are what my butt prefers, but their 2X bibs are not big enough for me-the bottom portion fits, but the straps are elastic band stretched to the max and feel like they are going to comically shoot off at any second (I am long waisted at 6'1 and a 30" inseam).

So I took the Sugoi RS Pro bibs to a seamstress and had 8" added to the straps. A 45 mile ride in 90+ degree heat that stretched into a 6 1/2 hour marathon with 6 flats between 8 riders had me ready to complain about many things, but my bibs were not one of those things. They feel as good as my RS pro shorts, with all the added goodness of bibs. I was actually smart enough to get 2 pairs modified, so with rotating the ones I don't love for short rides, I should be good for a while.
Old 06-19-17, 01:27 AM
JagR

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac 2017 - TREK Madone - Cannondale CAPO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
I've been using the Bontrager Race Bib Shorts for the last few years. They are just what my LBS (back then) had in stock. I've also tried the Specialized Roubaix RBX model, the Aerotech Top Shelf model and I think the Ultra model from Performance bike, but I found myself always using the Bontragers.

I sort of impulse bought some Pearl Izumi Elites yesterday, but haven't ridden in them yet. The pad looks thicker than the Bontrager race pad and with less abrasive stitching. They also have a pro model that they didn't have in stock that has a much thinner pad on it. They said the pro shorts are for longer distances, but I'm wondering how the thinner pad would be better though.

Before just running out and grabbing another 3 pair of the Bontragers, I'm wondering what else is out there that's worth looking at? What do you use? How thick is the pad in it?
Rapha
Old 07-10-17, 05:52 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
And now I can add Primal Prisma bibs to what I will recommend. Slapped on a brand new pair without even washing them and did 55 miles without complaint yesterday. They offer 3X, which fit me pretty much perfectly.
Old 07-17-17, 09:07 AM
Doxeyweb
Rigid Single Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Performance brand bibs have starved me well over the years. Not bad prices on the elites..