Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

NASCAR Drivers are taking up Cycling

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-17, 06:40 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I live in the heart of NASCAR country near Charlotte. We have Charlotte Motor Speedway, the Hall of Fame and lots of NASCAR garages. We car pooled to school with one of the drivers who lives in our neighborhood. I'm not a NASCAR fan but I follow some of the stuff......

Today's drivers are a lot more fitness conscious. A few have become pretty good cyclists. Some of the drivers are even pushing their crew members to ride for fitness and that helps the team.

The Assault on Mt Mitchell (102 miles with 10,000'+ climbing) was held Monday. I saw where 3 drivers rode and did quite well. Jimmie Johnson, Matt Kenneth and Jamie McMurray rode and finished right at 6 hours which is very good. I think the first finisher was just 30 mins faster. George Hincapie and Bobby Julich also rode and I suspect helped the drivers along the way. The finish photos show Hincapie and Johnson crossing the line together.

I've seen lots of local articles and photos of the drivers at the event.

I also read an article where Johnson even got Dale Jr on a bike, spandex and all. I wonder what his Dad would have thought about that.......

When I get time I'll try and link some of the stuff to the post. Just thought I'd mention while I was thinking about it.
Old 05-19-17, 06:57 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 61 Times in 35 Posts

JUNIOR!!!

A lot of them are on Strava too.
Old 05-19-17, 07:00 PM
brianmcg123

Sr. was more of a RAD kind of guy.
Old 05-19-17, 07:02 PM
brianmcg123

Old 05-20-17, 12:10 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123

Sr. was more of a RAD kind of guy.
This is clearly before helmet use became popular.
Old 05-20-17, 12:57 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
I'd rather watch 'em race bicycles. NASCAR is SO boring. Used to be a big fan.
Old 05-20-17, 03:47 PM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Former F1 world champion James Hunt famously took up cycling after he retired.

Indycar driver Tony Kanaan is a very accomplished triathlete - which as a less accomplished triathlete I can acknowledge does not make him a highly skilled cyclist - but he does at least have a high level of bike fitness.

Not sure I can say cycling or auto racing is more entertaining to watch, either way. Grew up in the auto racing world, used to follow it and enjoy watching races but not nearly as much now and never was much of a NASCAR fan. Starting to follow pro cycling a bit more, but can't really say it's super entertaining to watch if you're not a cyclist.
Old 05-21-17, 12:14 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Former World Champion Formula 1 driver Jenson Button is still an active triathlete though he had to take a break to drive the Monaco Grand Prix next weekend while Fernando Alonso (who was, at one time, close to buying a whole Pro-level cycling team) tries to win at Indianapolis.

I follow Jenson Button on Strava and from what I see there he is an excellent cyclist!

Michael Schumacher and David Coulthard were both active cyclists and David still is.

Rick / OCRR
Old 05-23-17, 08:48 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Liked 296 Times in 193 Posts
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1547663

I wonder if he'll enter any crits?
Old 05-23-17, 12:06 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Not Nascar, but Nicky Hayden, former MotoGP world champion died this week after being hit by a car while out on his bike training on the Rimini coast.

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 05-23-17 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-23-17, 12:39 PM
Cassave

Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I was on a club ride in the Santa Monica mountains last month and we came across Jenson riding with a couple of his buds. Fast rider he is.

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Former World Champion Formula 1 driver Jenson Button is still an active triathlete though he had to take a break to drive the Monaco Grand Prix next weekend while Fernando Alonso (who was, at one time, close to buying a whole Pro-level cycling team) tries to win at Indianapolis.

I follow Jenson Button on Strava and from what I see there he is an excellent cyclist!

Michael Schumacher and David Coulthard were both active cyclists and David still is.

Rick / OCRR
Old 05-25-17, 10:38 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
A *lot* of Formula 1 racing drivers are avid cyclists. Button, Hamilton, Ericson, Alonzo, Mark Webber (retired), and many others. Also, quite a few Le Man's drivers are cyclists.

I also follow Button on Strava. He's done a few of the same rides as I have, and my performance matches his quite closely. But he's a triathlete, and I can't swim or run competitively, as he can.