Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Plastic spoke protector behind cassette, DO I NEED IT?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-17, 07:17 AM
hunterr41

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is the protector needed? Mine broke and thru me down on road. I had messed up the front shifter and was working my way home when going up a hill I shifted on the highest cog and the chain caught on the protector and on spoke which stopped me real fast. I was going slow so damage was minimal. Took bike to LBS and they repaired the bike and it works good now but they did not replace the protector. Called the LBS and was told that I did not need it.
IS IT NEEDED????
Old 06-03-17, 07:28 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
It prevented your chain from going into your spokes which would have been a bigger problem. If your limit screw is set properly, then you don't need it. If not, it's an insurance policy.
Old 06-03-17, 07:28 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Liked 407 Times in 255 Posts
It isn't "needed"...so long as you have properly set limit screws on the rear mech.
Old 06-03-17, 07:48 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Set the limit screw and forget about it.
Old 06-03-17, 07:51 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,933 Times in 2,053 Posts
if you take it off you void your bike's warranty .. plus, taking it off breaks several federal laws ... it is like the tag on your mattress and pillows.
Old 06-03-17, 07:54 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Liked 407 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
if you take it off you void your bike's warranty .. plus, taking it off breaks several federal laws ... it is like the tag on your mattress and pillows.
Removing it only breaks laws if you're a retailer, or an employee working for one, modifying merchandise. AFAIK there are no federal laws (and no state laws at least in Nebraska) requiring riders on the street to have them.
Old 06-03-17, 08:41 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Based on what happened in the original post, the guy doesn't know how to tell if the upper limit screw is properly adjusted.

There are 2 limit screws on the rear derailleur, labelled H and L.

One prevents the derailleur from moving too far towards the wheel whenever you shift into the largest cog in the back (lowest gear). If it's adjusted to allow too much movement, the derailleur will hit the spokes. If it's adjusted to allow insufficient movement, the chain won't go onto the largest cog.

Sometimes it may look like the limit screw is correctly adjusted, but actually the cable tension is the only thing preventing the derailleur from hitting the spokes. You can only tell by removing all tension in the cable and setting the limit screw first. Then re-tensioning the cable for correct shifting.

So, yes, a spoke protector is needed, unless you learn how to check this.
Old 06-03-17, 09:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
In a Perfect world... I have one on my touring bike , because its not going to be perfect.

And Trashing your rear shifter and wheel in the boonies can strand you helplessly.

tipping over the bike to the right side and bumping the RD out of alignment
is all it takes to screw up the shifting adjustments, , and have that damage cascade.

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-03-17 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-03-17, 09:19 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
it helps your wheel be more aero just think of what a disc wheel is like
Old 06-03-17, 11:31 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,569 Times in 4,424 Posts
It's called a "Dork Disk" and if your RD limit screw is set properly, you don't need it.

That said, if your bike falls over and your RD hanger gets ever so slightly bent, it could save your sorry ass from shifting the chain into the spokes.

I hope that helps.
Old 06-03-17, 12:03 PM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right. It's not just "set the limit screw". It's:

• Set the limit screw
AND
• Check your derailleur hanger alignment
AND
• Make sure your rear QR/through-axle is tight and properly positioned
AND
• Ensure your rear derailleur is free from damage

Before each ride.

Since most folks won't do any of these, the dork disc sits there as insurance.
Old 06-03-17, 12:38 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 894 Times in 458 Posts
If you have to ask you need it.

If you don't know how to remove it yourself non destructively, you need it.
Old 06-03-17, 12:39 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

And OP it didn't cause your fall. If anything it limited the damage
Old 06-03-17, 12:42 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
No more than you need a helmet.

Old 06-03-17, 12:57 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Liked 380 Times in 259 Posts
My kid has 3 Dura-Ace Di2 bikes (top-end electronic). In the last 4 years we've used the same cassette and hubs on the back.
Two months ago for the first time because he is no longer a junior, he put a Dura-Ace cassette on. It sits a wee bit farther out from the spoke.
Nobody - me included thought anything of it.
He shifted the chain in.
The ruined some spokes on a very nice race wheel. That made for some crazy running around before an important race and racing on some spare spokes at nationals.

Not that he would have had that disc on anyway, but mistakes happen. They of course happen less when paying attention.
Old 06-03-17, 03:06 PM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Removing it only breaks laws if you're a retailer, or an employee working for one, modifying merchandise. AFAIK there are no federal laws (and no state laws at least in Nebraska) requiring riders on the street to have them.
I'm not sure if you took his post seriously.
Old 06-03-17, 03:34 PM
vicbastige

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV, Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whats funny to me is the dork disk on the back is Fred, buck a chain-suck guard on the front is so hot right now.
Old 06-03-17, 03:35 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
If you have to ask you need it.
This.
Old 06-03-17, 07:07 PM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Actually, you may prefer metal. I do.
Old 06-03-17, 07:41 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You don't need it (as long as your derailleurs are adjusted properly). But, if your bike is vintage and came with a pie plate you hate to take it off. I did, when fixing up this old bike and when I switched to a new freewheel I found that I no longer had room to reinstall it. Bummer.

Last edited by Scarbo; 06-03-17 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-03-17, 08:03 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by vicbastige
Whats funny to me is the dork disk on the back is Fred, buck a chain-suck guard on the front is so hot right now.
One works; one doesn't

Plus , depending on gearing, derailleur and chain stay length, it's possible to drop a chain on the inside, even with a well adjusted setup.

A guard to avoid dropping a chain on the inside is light, not unsightly, functional, and guards against an issue not avoidable in som instances by just setting the limit screws correctly.

Dork disc meets none of those criteria
Old 06-04-17, 12:26 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
One works; one doesn't

Plus , depending on gearing, derailleur and chain stay length, it's possible to drop a chain on the inside, even with a well adjusted setup.

A guard to avoid dropping a chain on the inside is light, not unsightly, functional, and guards against an issue not avoidable in som instances by just setting the limit screws correctly.

Dork disc meets none of those criteria
Could you please explain? You say the "dork disc" doesn't work, if I understood correctly?
Old 06-06-17, 10:04 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by Slaninar
Could you please explain? You say the "dork disc" doesn't work, if I understood correctly?
The problem is the derailleur being misadjusted going off the inside of the largest cog. If your rear derailleur is misadjusted to that point, its likely the rear derailleur cage is going into the spokes when you shift like that, which is way more catastrophic than just the chain into the spokes, and the dork disc won't prevent that.

Additionally if the chain comes off the inside, it can jam between the cog and the dork disc about as easily as it jams between the spokes and the cog. Neither one of these things is good.

So a simple, light, unobtrusive chain retainer on the front, works, and prevents dropping the chain on the inside of the small chainring, preventing scratching your frame.

Dork disc offers little to no actual protection, and can cause its own problems jamming the chain between the disc and the cog.

At worst the dork disc gives a false sense of protection.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-06-17, 11:58 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
The problem is the derailleur being misadjusted going off the inside of the largest cog. If your rear derailleur is misadjusted to that point, its likely the rear derailleur cage is going into the spokes when you shift like that, which is way more catastrophic than just the chain into the spokes, and the dork disc won't prevent that.

Additionally if the chain comes off the inside, it can jam between the cog and the dork disc about as easily as it jams between the spokes and the cog. Neither one of these things is good.

So a simple, light, unobtrusive chain retainer on the front, works, and prevents dropping the chain on the inside of the small chainring, preventing scratching your frame.

Dork disc offers little to no actual protection, and can cause its own problems jamming the chain between the disc and the cog.

At worst the dork disc gives a false sense of protection.
I can imagine a chain dropping even off a properly adjusted derailleur - a bump, or a stick pushing it directly. Not a common thing, but can happen IMO. Dork disc does prevent spokes from becoming burred-dented by the chain, doesn't it?
Old 06-06-17, 12:02 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,647 Times in 6,055 Posts
You're supposed to remove it with fire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.