Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Caffeine and other stimulants before riding. Yes or No?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-17, 12:36 PM
PastorJim

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Schwinn Sidewinder 26" Men's (SRAM Max Pro) & Trident TW Bents

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have always had battles with fatigue...it's gotten better, but is a genetic thing which can't be changed. So often before a ride I use caffeine and Beta Alanine. I sometimes use C4 Ripped and/or Amino Energy Optimum Nutrition. I use them to help give me energy to go out on my rides. They seem to help. But I hear people saying no prework powder is necessary or beneficial in cycling. What are your thoughts on Preworkout drinks before or during workout? What would you recommend?

Thanks,
Jim M.
Old 06-03-17, 01:00 PM
PastorJim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Preworkout (Caffeine, etc) for energy boost. Yes or No?

I have always had battles with fatigue...it's gotten better, but is a genetic thing which can't be changed. So often before a ride I use caffeine and Beta Alanine. I sometimes use C4 Ripped (not crazy about all the ingredients) and/or Amino Energy Optimum Nutrition. I use them to help give me energy to go out on my rides. They seem to help. But I hear people saying no preworkout powder is necessary or beneficial in cycling. What are your thoughts on Preworkout drinks before or during workout? What would you recommend?

Thanks,
Jim M.
Old 06-03-17, 01:03 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,255 Times in 631 Posts
Have you ever tried Armour Thyroid?

Old 06-03-17, 01:53 PM
PastorJim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine is not a thyroid issue.
Old 06-03-17, 02:01 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,807 Times in 1,803 Posts
Ditto, the fatigue thing -- mostly due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I'm a slow starter in the morning so I usually have a couple of mugs of coffee, yogurt with cereal and a banana to get me going before a bike ride.

At 59 I have to allow myself more time to warm up. Usually I feel anywhere from blah to miserable the first 20-30 minutes of a ride, and it takes me an hour just to really warm up. After that, if all goes well, I'm good for more riding time and miles.

The main problem I experience with overdoing stimulants is erratic heartbeat and high blood pressure. Usually my BP is under control without meds, but if I take Sudafed for sinus congestion and headache I need to watch my BP, especially if I'm drinking more than a cup of coffee. This past week I needed to take a few days off from riding due to spikes in BP along with erratic heart beat. I felt great for Monday and Tuesday rides. Then took a Sudafed Tuesday evening and by Wednesday my BP was 160/90, unusually high for me, and my heart was skipping erratically. Between that and rain I've taken a few days off.

Haven't tried amino acid supplements, no opinion. I've tried many other types of supplements folks have recommended for joint health, etc., -- glucosamine, chondroitin, shark cartilage, blah-blah-blah -- and never could tell any difference. I take a multi-B vitamin supplement, low dose aspirin and fish oil, but that's all. I'm about to quit the fish oil because it also seems like hokum based on little or no scientific evidence. I only tried it because someone else bought it for me.
Old 06-03-17, 02:10 PM
PastorJim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No thyroid issues here. A genetic issue no treatment. Though eating healthy and exercise (cycling) has helped. So I eat healthy and take caffeine :-( I am slow to get going in the morning my rides are late afternoon to early evening after work. I fortunately do not have high BP or erratic heart beat. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-03-17, 02:29 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,565 Times in 1,028 Posts
Cup of coffee or 2 about 1-2 hours in advance of ride. Not as much for the caffeine, but it kickstarts the digestive system (aka helps me ensure I can take care of business in the bathroom before riding). This and a bowl of oatmeal with some fruit thrown in.

You didn't ask, but during the ride I also get some caffeine.. not a lot. Nuun Energy tab is usually in one of my water bottles, or a clif gel mocha (good stuff!) in my pocket.
Old 06-03-17, 03:49 PM
Fett2oo5

Bikes: '91 Klein Quantum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes.
*** Clinically Tested Nitraflex, Testosterone Enhancing Pre Workout, Watermelon, 300 Gram
If it is too much, or you are weary (of this or others) just take a fraction of the normal serving. Half, or Quarter.
But never exceed recommended serving.
Old 06-03-17, 04:13 PM
redlude97

Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
caffeine has a proven ergogenic(performance enhancing) effect for cycling. I always have it before riding, both for moving the digestion along before the start of the ride, and for the alertness boost.
Old 06-03-17, 04:24 PM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Coffee before riding and beer afterwards. Should be a rule.
Old 06-03-17, 06:12 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Yes to caffeine. Coffee if I can turn on the espresso machine without waking up the house or generic 5 hr energy drink from Costco, or sometimes tylenol migraine pill. (I keep one in the saddlebag)

No caffeine in the morning + increased blood pressure from workout can trigger a migraine.
Old 06-03-17, 06:15 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
Beta alanine before hard intervals, coffee always.
Old 06-03-17, 06:44 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Java before riding into work, Caffeinated gels for longer rides (like 40 mi on trails/paths today). I have hypothyroidism too but it is under control with drugs.
Old 06-03-17, 06:45 PM
HTupolev

Liked 1,299 Times in 630 Posts
Yes caffeine... because coffee pairs well with a bike ride.
Old 06-03-17, 07:30 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Herr Vater, seid doch nicht so scharf!
Wenn ich des Tages nicht dreimal
Mein Schälchen Coffee trinken darf,
So werd ich ja zu meiner Qual
Wie ein verdorrtes Ziegenbrätchen.

J. S. Bach (BWV 211)

So, yes, coffee always.
Old 06-03-17, 07:43 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 4,984 Times in 2,293 Posts
Coffee is at the top of the food pyramid.
Old 06-03-17, 07:49 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
I drink a cup of coffee before a ride and try to drink lots of water during the ride.

Something that seems to make me feel more tired is dehydration in general. I find that a tall glass of water in the middle of the afternoon is more beneficial than a cup of coffee. If you're feeling fatigued all the time, you might think about how much you're drinking in a day.
Likes For Machka:
Old 06-03-17, 08:46 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I drink a cup of coffee before a ride and try to drink lots of water during the ride.

Something that seems to make me feel more tired is dehydration in general. I find that a tall glass of water in the middle of the afternoon is more beneficial than a cup of coffee. If you're feeling fatigued all the time, you might think about how much you're drinking in a day.
Good point, had not thought of it this way. I'm going to give it a go. The water in the afternoon that is. I drink lots of water riding.
Old 06-03-17, 09:06 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Also, a CoQ10 supplement noticeably helps my energy levels when I'm really pushing the training load.

Coffee for breakfast, then ride.
Old 06-03-17, 09:20 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Cup of coffee or 2 about 1-2 hours in advance of ride. Not as much for the caffeine, but it kickstarts the digestive system (aka helps me ensure I can take care of business in the bathroom before riding). This and a bowl of oatmeal with some fruit thrown in.

You didn't ask, but during the ride I also get some caffeine.. not a lot. Nuun Energy tab is usually in one of my water bottles, or a clif gel mocha (good stuff!) in my pocket.
+1

I have a similar routine. My best days start with 2 mugs of coffee, a light breakfast, a trip to the toilet... and a bicycle ride.

I often stop at a favorite coffee-café on the way home too. But no powers/mixes/pills or additives.

Sometimes.... I just don't seem to have it in me for a ride (or a chore). On those days.... I get up and get moving anyway. Many times I literally forced myself to go for a bicycle ride. NEVER.... have I ever regretted a ride.
Old 06-03-17, 10:22 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I usually have two cups of coffee every morning, followed by nature time. If I'm riding in the morning, then there will be coffee before the ride. If it's later in the day...then no. I usually drink a 16 oz glass of water before heading out, two if it's over about 80F.

I've never been a fan of caffeine during a ride, but I'm also prone to anxiety issues if I throw off the coffee balance. On a recent longer ride, though, I had a Mexican Coke (the kind with sugar, not corn syrup) and that was a nice energy source.
Old 06-03-17, 10:33 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
I gave up the booze so coffee has become my go-to reward drink at the end of a ride. I'll sometimes stop for a cup mid-ride if I am doing a lot of climbing because it definitely gives me a boost. Even the end-of-ride reward coffee will usually give me a second wind and I'll roll an extra 10 miles than I originally planned.
Likes For raceboy:
Old 06-03-17, 10:33 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
200mg pill-form caffeine 30 mins before rides of over 2 hours, lots of sugar based foods, usually 100-300 calories of pre-workout food with 1-200 calories per hour of calories suspended in water, usually dextrose and fructose in various forms. coffee freely as I choose. other supplements as normal as they are cycled (fat burners, stimulants, diuretics, tons of water, some salt, lots of carbs, some fat, some protein).

I eat a lot before and during rides, especially hard efforts over 2 hours.
Old 06-04-17, 07:46 AM
Lakerat

Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
I am very caffeine sensitive, so I dose myself carefully with it when needed. It helps for long drives, cycling max efforts, and 80 hour canoe races.
Old 06-04-17, 08:13 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Having coffee, now, may ride the bike later, after breakfast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.