Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First ride after surgery

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

First ride after surgery

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-17, 06:37 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Liked 1,057 Times in 636 Posts
First ride after surgery

After never having been in a hospital or having an operation for 78 years I finally had to go in to have a polyp removed. A colonoscopy revealed a polyp that couldnt be removed internally. I was sent to a young surgeon that did the operation with a Davinci medical robot. The surgeon removed the bottom 5 inches of my ascending colon including the appendix. I have 5 small incisions that are almost totally healed up.

The upshot here is that one day short of 3 weeks I went for a ride of 20 miles without any pain at all. The reason of course is the fact this surgery was done with the Davinci robot, with very small incisions. If it was years ago I would have had to have a huge long incision so the surgeon could get both hands in to do what he did.

I post all this to make everyone aware of this robot procedure and how great it is because of the minimum invasion. I highly recommend that is you need any internal surgery, look into having it done robotically.

Last edited by rydabent; 06-18-17 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-05-17, 07:54 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Liked 552 Times in 159 Posts
Good you are recovering well. I have a friend who is developing remote robotic surgery - i.e., a surgeon in Denver could do a surgery in remote Eastern Colorado (or Nigeria, for that matter) and with the aid of an on-site assistant, do the surgery using a robot and some sort of online imaging. Heck, they fly drones that can attack specified individuals thousands of miles away from the "pilot."
Old 06-05-17, 09:09 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Liked 115 Times in 86 Posts
That is pretty impressive. I keep hoping technology advances like that before I need it. :-) I slid out on black ice on a corner in Feb and had to have my thumb screwed back together. That sounds minor in comparison with your surgery, but the surgeon kept me off the bike for two weeks. And you were off for only a few days more? Nice...

(And in the "a break is better than a sprain" category, I wore the thumb splint only five weeks and the bone was good to go. It's the beginning of June and there's still soft tissue swelling. He said it should get back to normal by July.)
Old 06-05-17, 11:18 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
That is pretty impressive. I keep hoping technology advances like that before I need it. :-) I slid out on black ice on a corner in Feb and had to have my thumb screwed back together. That sounds minor in comparison with your surgery, but the surgeon kept me off the bike for two weeks. And you were off for only a few days more? Nice...

(And in the "a break is better than a sprain" category, I wore the thumb splint only five weeks and the bone was good to go. It's the beginning of June and there's still soft tissue swelling. He said it should get back to normal by July.)
My quick recovery is why I cant say enough good about having any internal surgery done by robot. Then too, I think the doctor running the robot was at the top of his game.
Old 06-05-17, 08:41 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
You are indeed fortunate, the Da Vinci is a remarkable system, one of the members here is a trouble shooter for the company. I had to endure 13 abdominal surgeries in the old school method you avoided, the long scar you described running from my sternum down to the, er, ummm, won't say that here. Glad that you are healing up well, but be careful with the resection of your colon, listen to that young fighter pilot of a surgeon about what to do and when to do things he allows. Good deal on the polyps being done and gone, my mom has had colon cancer twice, you were smart to have things investigated early on.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-07-17, 10:34 AM
rydabent
Banned

I might add here that as I have posted many times before I highly recommend everyone over the age of 50 to get a colonoscopy. Most polyps can easily be snipped out at that time, and prevent colon cancer. Colon cancer is not a pretty way to die, and can pretty much be totally avoided with a colonoscopy.
Old 06-07-17, 01:43 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
+1, Please don't put it off, time is life expectancy added.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-07-17, 02:31 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Last fall when I had appendicitis, I had asked my surgeon to also schedule me for a colonoscopy. That`s because my doctor had already scheduled one at a clinic but the appendicitis ruined the scheduling.

Well, the appendicitis was too advanced for it to be removed so I stayed in the hospital with intravenous antibiotics until the swelling went down.

So just this month I had elected to get the appendix removed after all. The surgeon instructed me to stay off the bike for a month and not to lift more than 10 pounds. In a few days, that month will be over and I`m looking forward to beating the morning traffic again on my bike. I had to look for a creative route through neighbourhood street that would by-pass the traffic congestion.
Old 06-09-17, 12:53 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
assending colon including the appendix
Most apt typo today! Thanks for the chuckle on a serious post. You're point is well timed, as I'm due for a colonoscopy this summer.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 06-10-17, 09:19 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
I'm just glad to be back on the pedals after a fortnight (day before actually) from Open Hernia surgery. It has healed very quickly on the outside at least, and has been as pain free as I could imagine.
Funny thing is, standing on the pedals is more comfortable than sitting . . .But I daren't overdo it yet. Can't challenge those ladies on the bikes down the gym either . . . .