Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Kickstand broke, ideas for replacement

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-17, 04:56 PM
awm72

Bikes: Trek Lift + 2018

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My Life + kickstand looks to have been drop forged. It was mounted on spot in front of back axle. It was a single leg with a rubber foot. I kicked it down into place and an 1/8 inch piece broke off front front of head. That allows leg to travel forward another inch or so, and sets bike at a precarious angle.
there is no name on kickstand as it came with TREK bike I assume its something Bontrager made or ordered from some inexpensive company.
There is a slot for the standard(?) bike kickstand, I'm unsure it would work because this bike weighs about 45 pounds, with gear on add another 10 pounds or so. I have seen pictures of 2 legged stand that are mounted in default hole, but when they are down they block the pedal rotation. I was wondering if anyone has seen a 2 legged on that mounts on back of bike? I need any and all ideas for now it leans against garage wall. I am thinking that 2 legs allow more support than a single leg, hopefully they will last longer. In all my years of riding I have never broken a kickstand. been scarred by them but they never broke and would only drop down while riding after many years of use. any ideas appreciated.
Al
Old 06-12-17, 02:00 AM
slomoshun

Bikes: Treks and a Moulton

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by awm72
My Life + kickstand... TREK bike... I have seen pictures of 2 legged stand that are mounted in default hole, but when they are down they block the pedal rotation....
Do you mean the Trek Lift+? Checkout the Pletscher ESGE Double Leg Center Kickstand. I mounted one on a Lift+ that had 26x1.50 tires and it did not interfere with pedal rotation when down. It should also work fine if you are running the stock 2.00 tires. Be aware that the stand’s leg length will need to be trimmed https://tinyurl.com/y9zofss5
Old 06-12-17, 09:05 AM
awm72

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slomoshun
Do you mean the Trek Lift+? Checkout the Pletscher ESGE Double Leg Center Kickstand. I mounted one on a Lift+ that had 26x1.50 tires and it did not interfere with pedal rotation when down. It should also work fine if you are running the stock 2.00 tires. Be aware that the stand’s leg length will need to be trimmed rd.bizrate.com/rd?t=http%...
Looked and ordered. thank you. I saw this in a youtube from a funny guy who repairs bikes.
your info was icing on the cake.
Old 06-12-17, 10:34 AM
slomoshun

Bikes: Treks and a Moulton

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The ESGE ships with a top plate and some plastic feet that are intended to clamp down onto the rear stays. The Lift's derailleur cable and rear brake line interfere with that. Instead, just use a shorter bolt with a large washer. Can't recall which one, but probably a M10x20 or M10x25.

Edit: 9-7-17
DON'T DO THIS ESGE MOD. Although my bike is fine, 'awm72' had the cross-member mounting plate fracture on his.

Last edited by slomoshun; 09-07-17 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-12-17, 03:09 PM
awm72

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
info

thanks for the update, it's good that not much works out of the box, I get to be creative.