Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

S&S coupled bike that doesn't break the bank

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-17, 06:51 PM
derath

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,

I wasn't sure exactly what forum to post this under, but this seemed the most appropriate.

About 18 months ago I got a Jamis Renegade Expat. I absolutely LOVE this bike. It is about the most perfect bike I've ever owned. The only thing that would make it better is if I could more easily pack it for air travel.

So I've been looking around at bikes that have S&S couplers. It's hard to figure out what matches so closely or is not $6000+. I'm happy to build up a bike from just a frame.

Are CX bikes close enough to something like the renegade to be considered the same?

Thanks
Old 07-16-17, 07:35 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Why not just get the Expat retro-fitted?

I've seen a couple of U.S. fitters online; around $600
Old 07-16-17, 08:30 PM
derath

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've thought about that. Bilenky Bikes is within driving distance of me and offers $595 + 75 for touch up painting around the welds. At the same time I have always in the past had 2 bikes. It used to be they served different purposes, but I also don't mind having a spare.

Surly has several frames with S&S couplers that are reasonable, such as the Travelers check. But being a CX frame I don't know how that ride compares to a more "gravel bike" geometry. Their LHT frame is definitely more of a loaded touring setup and their World Troller frame is for 26in tires.
Old 07-17-17, 03:32 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
You might want to check out the Classifieds section on ThePaceline forum. I've come across a couple there in the past few months.
Old 07-17-17, 05:47 AM
cobra_kai

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out the Ritchey Breakaway Ascent.
Old 07-18-17, 11:38 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
I owned a 2009 Surly Travelers Check, which checked most of the boxes. I wasn't crazy about it, though. It felt too flexible under load (either sprints or with panniers); and I got sick of cantilever brakes.
I replaced it in 2011 with a custom-ordered Gunnar Sport with couplers. At that time, discs on road bikes seemed like they were a fad, and I hadn't seen mini-Vs. Today, I'd get the Gunnar Hyper X, Hyper XX, or Hyper XC as a travel-gravel single bike. I'd spec it with 650b wheels and centerlock rotors for travel since they're easier to pack into the S&S case.