Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Would It Be Ok To Leave My Bike Out Almost Everyday, for 8.5 hours?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-17, 03:56 PM
TooFatForLycra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So there is one Bike Rack outside of my job and there is absolutely no protection from the Elements. The Bike will Sit in the Sun in very humid weather for 6 hours, before the sun goes down. Then another 2.5 hours until I'm able to leave work.

I'm worried this will cause a lot of damage to the bike. I mainly use it for exercise, but I'd love to be able to commute to work most days.
Old 07-26-17, 04:11 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,106 Times in 1,522 Posts
I leave my bike out every day like that, though we generally don't have significant humidity. I do leave it out like that in the rain. It's less than ideal, but if you stay on top of regular maintenance it'll be OK.
Old 07-26-17, 04:51 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Rule of thumb - if it's not an expensive enough bike that you're paranoid about it getting stolen, don't sweat the sun and rain. Just make sure you keep things lubed up and it will be fine.
Old 07-26-17, 07:27 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Many people here bike in all weathers - I leave bikes locked to the fence on the snowbank because the bike rack was gone (under the snow), snow, sleet, freezing fog...... pretty much anything. Bikes are tough. Generally the tougher environment you put it through, the more maintenance you'll need though.
Old 07-26-17, 08:03 PM
Gresp15C

Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Sunlight definitely deteriorates organic materials. I have a bike that is more faded on one side than the other due to probably being stored outside in one orientation for a long time. Black materials are less susceptible to damage because the pigments block most of the sunlight. But you might find yourself replacing consumable items such as tires and brake shoes more often.
Old 07-27-17, 08:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,007 Times in 1,257 Posts
I did exactly that for a couple-three years when my job moved to a couple locations where I couldn't bring it inside. Saddle cover for my Brooks and extra attention to lube -- chain, cables, brakes, stem. Same bikes are now enjoying the bike shelter I conned management into buying.
Old 07-27-17, 12:01 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I've done it for long term. It's really hard on the tires (or really anything with rubber or plastic). Direct UV from sunlight causes premature ageing. I had my office move the bike rack under an awning to keep it out of the sun.
Old 07-27-17, 12:15 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Liked 1,543 Times in 807 Posts
XPORT bike cover from Performance Bike. A fitted tarp with Velcro and drawstring that covers all but the bottom 1/3 of your wheels. Keeps sun (mostly) and rain (somewhat) from your bike, protecting rubber and leather from unwanted UV. Replace every 3 years or so. I have one, and my co-worker, another commuter, is on his 2nd. They're cheap, ford for easy carry in a pannier, and durable enough. You're welcome.
Old 07-27-17, 02:08 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Liked 3,541 Times in 2,627 Posts
I heard good advice here at BF once; bicycles are OUTDOOR SPORTING EQUIPMENT. They can handle it. However, the sun will probably eventually eat your rubber/plastic bits (seat, grips/bartape, tires).

Warning: I bought a super-cheap bike cover off eBay, and it shredded on 1st use. It was like saran wrap. Not even saran wrap, because that stuff is so strong I can never tear it off the roll. More like damp toilet paper.
Old 07-27-17, 04:29 PM
Gresp15C

I agree. A bike is made to be used. If I had no choice but to park outdoors, I wouldn't avoid riding a good bike. But I'd consider color (black tends to be less susceptible) and budget for replacing the consumable parts sooner.

Similar situation with musical instruments. People take priceless high-end instruments to raucous bar gigs.
Old 07-27-17, 04:35 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

The fabric or vinyl or whatever covers the seat will have the hardest time. I recommend buying a cheap stretchy seat cover as a sacrificial sun barrier. This kind of thing (although black to attract less attention)
Old 07-28-17, 06:15 AM
Gresp15C

I suppose another option is just a colored plastic bag over the seat when it's parked.
Old 07-28-17, 07:37 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Liked 2,716 Times in 985 Posts
As a kid in the 60s we leaned our bikes against a tree in the front yard. Somewhere in the 70s bike thieves started prowling the neighborhood. So we got cheap cables and locked them to the trees.

Nowadays, my bike is parked in the laundry room at home and a utility room at work. Although if my boss had said no to the utility room there is bicycle parking in the parking garage.
Old 07-31-17, 08:57 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I suppose another option is just a colored plastic bag over the seat when it's parked.
I keep a few plastic grocery bags in my kittier, so if an unexpected rain shower comes up, I can wrap my leather seat.
Old 07-31-17, 09:15 AM
Gresp15C

Originally Posted by RubeRad
I keep a few plastic grocery bags in my kittier, so if an unexpected rain shower comes up, I can wrap my leather seat.
Thanks for the reminder! I just put a leather seat on my "fun" bike, but forgot about adding bags to my kit. Of course if I was caught in a rainstorm while riding, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 07-31-17, 10:13 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

In other words, you are looking for some funbags. Aren't we all...
Old 07-31-17, 10:56 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I've left my MTB outside less than 200yds from the ocean for two years out of necessity. Kept it lubed and covered the leather seat with a loosely wrapped plastic shopping bag. None the worse for wear.
Old 07-31-17, 01:56 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Thanks for the reminder! I just put a leather seat on my "fun" bike, but forgot about adding bags to my kit. Of course if I was caught in a rainstorm while riding, I wouldn't worry about it.
What I do is to get a 1 or 2 gallon Ziploc bag (depending on the saddle), roll it up, fold it once and then stuff that into the midpoint of the saddle. It stays put and I always know where to find it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-31-17, 02:22 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
A cheap waterproof saddle solved that problem, and everything else is not worth worrying about. Lubricate things a little more often, that's about it.
Old 07-31-17, 06:36 PM
Gaelen

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only have one bike and it's used for everything, I'm car free. One side is nearly completely white from exactly what the op mentions, originally it's early 90's safety (highliter) green. I haven't noticed anything that would ruin it. As has been mentioned, you should be fine as frog hair if you don't mind keeping up with maintenance.
Old 08-01-17, 08:49 PM
CrankyOne

Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Probably 80 percent of bikes in The Netherlands (and Denmark, Sweden, Germany, ...) never see the inside of anything. They spend their entire lives outside in the sun, wind, rain, snow, hail, and dust. And they keep on working year after year after year.
Old 08-02-17, 12:29 AM
tengtengvn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Probably 80 percent of bikes in The Netherlands (and Denmark, Sweden, Germany, ...) never see the inside of anything. They spend their entire lives outside in the sun, wind, rain, snow, hail, and dust. And they keep on working year after year after year.
Most bikes I saw in the Netherlands look pretty beat up & in very bad conditions. In Germany, they look a bit better.
Old 08-02-17, 05:36 AM
CrankyOne

Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by tengtengvn
Most bikes I saw in the Netherlands look pretty beat up & in very bad conditions. In Germany, they look a bit better.
Dutch use their bikes daily for 70 years, Germans only 60 and not on Sundays. :-)

Some folks buy cheap and often, others buy higher quality less often. All Dutch will ride them until they fall apart, get stolen, or are thrown in a canal after too many drinks.

Our neighbors on each side of us are great examples, one bought cheap bikes from Hema and hope they'll last 10 years (though will ride it for at least one extra year) while the others have a Gazelle and Azor that cost two or three times as much but they expect will last their lifetime. A bike from Hema will get a lot of rust and sound squeaky but still be serviceable. The Azor will likely not see rust for 30 years and even then only a tiny bit. EXCEPT..., that he applied fake rust to a bunch of the frame joints to make it look rusted so it's less likely to be stolen.
Old 08-02-17, 07:01 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
agree ... a bike is simply a disposable tool just like everything else.

I lock mine in a ramshackle shed at night just because I don't want to stare at it through my front bay window.
Old 08-02-17, 10:40 AM
RunForTheHills

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by acidfast7
agree ... a bike is simply a disposable tool just like everything else.

I lock mine in a ramshackle shed at night just because I don't want to stare at it through my front bay window.

You don't really believe that do you? I have had one of my bikes for over 35 years and still love riding it. Take care of your tools and they will last you a lifetime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.