Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Chicago...good for road biking?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-17, 11:02 AM
Swede1

Bikes: 2016 Ghost Panamao X3 Hybrid 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

We've caught the biking bug real bad, and believe it or not, as we are deciding whether or not to move from Grand Rapids to Chicago, the access to good trails is playing in to our decision.

Grand Rapids and west michigan is amazing...how is the chicagoland area...good/safe trails to take longer rides on??
Old 07-29-17, 11:53 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Liked 236 Times in 187 Posts
If you did move to within the city limits you might be reversing a trend https://www.mail.com/news/us/5060666...age-related1-2. I lived in the suburbs a long time ago and have ex-residents among my friends. They were pretty enthusiastic about the trail system outside of the city. Their system of parks is first rate. It's pretty easy to find links to the many trails: https://www.traillink.com/city/chicago-il-trails/ and a couple of the trails on this list are in or near Chicago https://www.railstotrails.org/trailb...s-in-illinois/

The tax situation in Illinois would be enough to keep me from ever considering moving back there. It's also nice to have a state government that is not in a state of constant crisis. Summers were warm and humid and winters cold and wet. If you are from Michigan, that might not be much of a change (I lived in MI too for 3 years).
Old 07-29-17, 12:41 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Liked 556 Times in 323 Posts
Michigan to Illinois for bike riding? I'd aim farther south personally buy I'm sure you have your reasons. Seems that months out of the year will be cold and snowy, but good luck
Old 07-29-17, 12:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,957 Times in 1,639 Posts
Chicago has an old and active road biking community. There's good urban riding within the city, and great suburban, fading to rural road biking on the roads to the north and west.

But, I don't know the extent of any trail network, either in or around the city. So, if you'd asked about road biking without mentioning trails, I'd have said it's great. If trails are of importance to you, you might phone some of the shops in the area to get some details about what's there.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-29-17, 02:03 PM
Steve Whitlatch 

Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
There are great networks of trails that you can chalk up big miles on. I live by the Fox River. That trail is 65 miles long and connects to many other trails along the way.

There are lots of organized supported rides in the area as well as many suburban bike shops that do group rides. The city proper has amazing bike paths along the lake.