Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Men's clothing questions...

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-17, 08:18 AM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts

Gang,

I got serious about biking 6 weeks ago when I bought a nice bike on Father's Day weekend. I'm 6'-1" and 258 currently.

I've found biking shorts that fit and work well for me. Performance Ultra in XXXL.

Jerseys, not as much luck. I found out quickly that "race fit" makes me look like a Bartlett pear on steroids.

I've lucked into 2 "club cut" XXXL jerseys, one from PB and one from AeroTech. (The matching shorts, pretty but the chamois is not as padded as the PB shorts, so not as comfortable on 30-40 mile rides).

What is a good source for club cut men's jerseys in XXXL? I'm not having much luck and need more jerseys!

TIA,

Gary
Old 08-03-17, 09:40 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdale...s-jerseys.html

A recent discussion there ... I can't speak for AeroTech.

I did order a jersey from Fat Lad at the Back, over in the UK, and I'm very pleased with it. In fact, I'm planning to order at least two more. It's a forgiving fit, much like a club fit jersey.
Old 08-03-17, 09:49 AM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Thank you! I hadn't seen that thread so I'll check those suggestions and links out.

Gary
Old 08-03-17, 05:32 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
I often wear MTB jerseys, they occasionally flap around a bit but they fit very well. I also wear regular technical sweat wicking t-shirts with bib shorts below. I'm neither fashionable nor aero, but I am comfortable.
Old 08-03-17, 07:08 PM
brawlo

Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Not sure how big you are, but I'm 6'5" and "heavy" built up top. A clubmate gave me a Gore windstopper jersey in XXL that he ordered in wrong size. Being a windstopper and not so stretchy I was hesitant, but it's big on me. I could possibly even go for the XL! I haven't had to order a jersey since, but I am going to get a Gore jersey. Most of my other kit is XXXL Chinese stuff that fits fine. Maybe also try Pearl Izumi. I have a set of knicks of theirs and they are XL. Bit tight so XXL would fit better but that's really just a length issue, not width
Old 08-03-17, 07:23 PM
Primitive Don
Champion of the Low End

Bikes: I have some bikes

Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
Be sure to measure your chest and check the sizing charts for whatever apparel you are looking at. I am about the same height and weight as you and I find XXL to fit better. I have had good luck with Endura SS mountain bike jerseys and a Peal Izumi long sleeve jersey. I used to buy clothes in too large of a size and realized after I saw photos of myself that more form fitting clothing actually looks better than looser fit/larger sizes. Also, wearing a shirt that is too small underneath a jersey helps keep the rolls under control.
Old 08-05-17, 09:51 AM
BrazAd

Originally Posted by Primitive Don
Be sure to measure your chest and check the sizing charts for whatever apparel you are looking at. I am about the same height and weight as you and I find XXL to fit better.

I'm a 47" chest so no problems with the fit there. I'm a 46" waist (measured at the navel), so that's where my problem lies. I went biking last night... got dressed and while standing in the kitchen filling up my water bottles, my wife (who was behind me) commented, "You have no butt! All of your weight is in your stomach!" Yeah, no kidding...

Gary
Old 08-05-17, 10:05 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by BrazAd
Gang,

I got serious about biking 6 weeks ago when I bought a nice bike on Father's Day weekend. I'm 6'-1" and 258 currently.

I've found biking shorts that fit and work well for me. Performance Ultra in XXXL.

Jerseys, not as much luck. I found out quickly that "race fit" makes me look like a Bartlett pear on steroids.

I've lucked into 2 "club cut" XXXL jerseys, one from PB and one from AeroTech. (The matching shorts, pretty but the chamois is not as padded as the PB shorts, so not as comfortable on 30-40 mile rides).

What is a good source for club cut men's jerseys in XXXL? I'm not having much luck and need more jerseys!

TIA,

Gary
Bontrager Solstice is a generous fit. I actually weigh a little more than you and I can wear both XL and XXL. The XXL is downright generous cut. Available at any Trek dealer or on the internet at the Trek store. I have also had good luck with Primal in size 3XL. Not as loose as the Bontrager, but not bad. I bought mine on clearance at Nashbar.
Old 08-05-17, 04:37 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Primitive Don
Be sure to measure your chest and check the sizing charts for whatever apparel you are looking at.
Good advice, I always look at the sizing charts. I have a 48" chest and I fit Pearl Izumi XXL, Fox XXL and Assos TIR. I don't like race fit or form fitting, they are too snug. I prefer a semi form fit, relax fit or loose fit.