Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1987 cut-off? what defines C&V?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-17, 12:33 AM
berkeley23

Bikes: '85 Miyata 610, '85 Miyata 310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

pardon my ignorance, but I thought I would ask you kind BFers, since neither the googles nor BF search are answering my question(s):
what's with the 1987 cut-off for l'eroica? Is it just the date of when the ride started? Is it also the cut-off for classic & vintage? Is it inclusive of bikes made in 1987? does it have anything to do with friction vs. index shifting? advent of aluminum? what other questions haven't I asked that will get me the information I am after?

thanks in advance for increasing my c&v knowledge!
Old 08-29-17, 12:50 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 4,980 Times in 2,291 Posts
A regular question.
Some say it's up to each person to answer for themselves.
For me, friction downtube shifters. Maybe just downtube shifters, which allows indexing and aero hoods.
No exceptions, punishable by banishment.

edit:
OK, a Merlin Ti, was pretty classic.
And some of early CF, vintage now and a classic precursor to modern bikes.
And Klein made some classic aluminium frames.

re-edit: Maybe a few others, but only with tubulars.

but remember - private clubs and private organizations are free to define CorV bikes per their standards.
[MENTION=466250]berkeley23[/MENTION] - for fast, complete list of opinions/comments Search is your friend.

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-29-17 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-29-17, 01:20 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...ear-model.html

Try this thread.

Or this one.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...pe-events.html

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-29-17 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-29-17, 06:25 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
The thought about searching here is a good start to try and answer that common question here and elsewhere. I have read here, and at both Classic Rendezvous and Velobase, their reasoning for a specific 80s year being the cut off mainly due to the advent of indexed shifting, but someone else with lots of knowledge will have to answer this one. We have some folks that are big time into l'Eroica events both here, and across the pond, maybe they will be along shortly.

l'Eroica is getting some slack in their rules, the Bianchi l'Eroica bike they produced is listed as being compliant now, but Bianchi is a major sponsor for the events so that one gets some sideways looks. Its a neat bike but it seems that they got a pass with it to me, please don't throw too many things at me.....

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-29-17, 06:44 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Liked 3,605 Times in 1,250 Posts
Generally speaking, the folks at L'Eroica (at least in CA) are fine with your equipment if you're trying to emulate the spirit of the event. There is no inquisition team, nobody checking into the manufacture date of your frame.
Old 08-29-17, 07:08 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Liked 1,543 Times in 807 Posts
I think that if you can get Accushift to work, you should be able to use it. And wear the medal for having done so successfully.
Old 08-29-17, 08:30 AM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I don't think there are any 100% hard and fast reasons for any particular cutoff date. Mostly, it's just the idea that "modern" changes like aero brake levers, indexed shifting, and clipless pedals all debuted in the mid 80's, and within a few years really transformed modern racing bikes. Prior to that, the pace of change had been much slower. A world class racing bike from 1980 wouldn't be appreciably different from one made in the early 1960's, other than a extra cog on the rear, and tighter tire clearances.
Old 08-29-17, 08:37 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 3,691 Times in 2,171 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I think that if you can get Accushift to work, you should be able to use it. And wear the medal for having done so successfully.
+ 100 on this; you get the special C&V medal of honor if you do.
Old 08-29-17, 10:26 AM
Wulf

Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
For me its a list of characteristics:
Lugged or fillet brazed frame - Welded OKiff Alu or Ti.
Horizontal top tube
Curved forks.
No disc brakes except on tandems
Freewheel and friction shifters.
No brifters..
Old 08-29-17, 10:36 AM
Wileyone 

Liked 608 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
l'Eroica is getting some slack in their rules, the Bianchi l'Eroica bike they produced is listed as being compliant now, but Bianchi is a major sponsor for the events so that one gets some sideways looks. Its a neat bike but it seems that they got a pass with it to me, please don't throw too many things at me.....

Bill
No throwing things from this direction Bill. I agree with you 100%. The Bianchi should not be eligible. They should try and stick to their own rules.
Old 08-29-17, 10:52 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I vote anything before brifters.
Old 08-29-17, 11:23 AM
Fivethumbs

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Based on what I saw and heard in the cycling community during that time period is that at that point in time the Japanese component manufacturers began to eclipse Campagnolo in terms of function and cost Also, from what I heard the original L'Eroica people are hardcore Campyphiles. They remember with fondness a time when Italian steel bikes reigned and Campy was king. The mid-80s brought Japanese innovations such as Indexed shifting, aero brake levers, brakes with helper springs in the levers, the switch from freewheels to freehubs, and ski binding-type clipless pedals (invented by Look, very quickly licensed by Shimano). This may also help to explain why no clipless pedals are allowed except the Campy M71s.
Old 08-29-17, 11:24 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 1,125 Times in 746 Posts
I vote for the 20 year rule -- The Pinarello's of Indurain, Riis and Ullrich are pretty primitive looking compared to the Pin's of Wiggins and Froome
Old 08-29-17, 11:51 AM
theK00L_AIDman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say horizontal top tube, no brifters, high tensile, Crmo frame, etc. I would say it's vintage if it's both older than this year's college graduates AND it lacks what we consider hallmarks of a modern road bike, which would be brifters, an aluminium or carbon frame, has traditional geometry, etc. I just finished restoring a 1989 Nikishi Performance Equipe that under the 1987 definition is not vintage, yet it is the same as the 1987 model which is. Crmo frame, downtube shifters, etc. In fact, you could compare it to a 1980, or even 1970 bike and it's going to be pretty much the same technology except its rear shifter is indexed (poorly... thanks Suntour!)

BUT that defintion can, should, and WILL change. Time doesn't stand still. Soon enough early brifter bikes will be considered vintage due to their age AND the continuing march of bike technology. The same way that 30 years ago Motley Crue or Van Halen were just rock...now they're "classic rock".
Old 08-29-17, 12:36 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Liked 3,605 Times in 1,250 Posts
I won't throw anything at you either, Bill, but the rules say even a brand new frame is eligble if properly equipped. They addressed this issue the same way even before the Bianchi bike was announced. I know this because the frame I rode in my first Eroica event was made in 1990, but equipped with early 80's Super Record. Nobody even asked about manufacture date, but I sure got a lot of complements about how pretty the bike looked.
Old 08-29-17, 01:04 PM
repechage

Liked 2,848 Times in 2,009 Posts
by 1987 there were a few race bike features that really did set them apart from what came before:

Index shifting became ubiquitous later followed by integrated brake and shift levers which extended the difference.

"Clipless" pedals, Look then the patent workarounds by others. (we will ignore the Cinelli M71 pedal, not practical for road use)

On this forum, the group is pretty tolerant of time warps.
Other digital venues, some not so much.
Old 08-29-17, 01:23 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Liked 2,101 Times in 1,152 Posts
All I know is that it is really really fun trying to hang with the fast guys on a vintage group ride. Wheel sucking behind a group of old Bianchis and such and most of them 5 and 6 speed and then watching all the other beautiful bikes pass me by is a kick. Later in the ride, taking turns with a sloping top tube tigged 9 speed with indexing ON is not so much fun.
Old 08-29-17, 02:34 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Aside from the regulated events, it's mostly about how much geekiness you embrace.

Taken to an extreme, cosplay is big with a lot of people, why not vintage cycling? The 'costumes' are frequently already in the closet. Come out of your closets!

My original Look pedals should be included (Greg wore them early on) to get my entry fee. It's how i ride.
Usually, i'm eliminated.
Old 08-29-17, 02:37 PM
T-Mar

Liked 3,052 Times in 1,885 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
No, it's L'Eroica, so the medal is for anyone riding with functioning 1st generation Syncro, which is now L'Eroica compliant!
Old 08-29-17, 02:55 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by berkeley23
pardon my ignorance, but I thought I would ask you kind BFers, since neither the googles nor BF search are answering my question(s):
what's with the 1987 cut-off for l'eroica? Is it just the date of when the ride started? Is it also the cut-off for classic & vintage? Is it inclusive of bikes made in 1987? does it have anything to do with friction vs. index shifting? advent of aluminum? what other questions haven't I asked that will get me the information I am after?

thanks in advance for increasing my c&v knowledge!
It's hard to capture the intended "spirit" of an event in written rules, so they will always be arbitrary on some level.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-29-17, 03:44 PM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Bikes: Yes, please.

Liked 4,896 Times in 1,833 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Generally speaking, the folks at L'Eroica (at least in CA) are fine with your equipment if you're trying to emulate the spirit of the event. There is no inquisition team, nobody checking into the manufacture date of your frame.
This.

1987 is just a useful guideline, as that was more or less when non-aero models disappeared from the catalogues.

And the spirit of the event is that we all try our very best to be Fausto, Gino, Felice or Ottavio. Or maybe Eddy, Freddy or Briek. Or Louison or Jacques.

Old 08-29-17, 03:53 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Liked 1,362 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Fivethumbs
Based on what I saw and heard in the cycling community during that time period is that at that point in time the Japanese component manufacturers began to eclipse Campagnolo in terms of function and cost Also, from what I heard the original L'Eroica people are hardcore Campyphiles. They remember with fondness a time when Italian steel bikes reigned and Campy was king. The mid-80s brought Japanese innovations such as Indexed shifting, aero brake levers, brakes with helper springs in the levers, the switch from freewheels to freehubs, and ski binding-type clipless pedals (invented by Look, very quickly licensed by Shimano). This may also help to explain why no clipless pedals are allowed except the Campy M71s.
I disagree completely. We're talking about 1987 here. Japanese components were displacing Campy parts before that. Also, french components and french and british bikes were a major part of the racing scene prior to the 1980s so this has nothing to do with Campagnolo and Italian bike chauvinism as you imply.
Old 08-29-17, 05:07 PM
iab

Liked 3,947 Times in 1,439 Posts
1936 should be the date. Desgrange started the slippery slope to poseurville.
Old 08-29-17, 06:28 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
1936 should be the date. Desgrange started the slippery slope to poseurville.
Don't you mean Jacques Goddet?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-29-17, 10:36 PM
Fivethumbs

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
I disagree completely. We're talking about 1987 here. Japanese components were displacing Campy parts before that. Also, french components and french and british bikes were a major part of the racing scene prior to the 1980s so this has nothing to do with Campagnolo and Italian bike chauvinism as you imply.
I guess we must agree to disagree. Every one of the innovations I mentioned were Japanese inventions and were available in the 80's prior to 1987 and yet none are allowed at L'Eroica. I have no idea why they chose 1987 as the cutoff date. It seems pretty arbitrary given the fact that so many pre-1987 component choices are prohibited.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.