Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are Carbon bikes worth it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-17, 06:19 PM
zachstep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My LBS has a Domane S 5 on sale (2017 model, $700 off the retail price). But I'd have to upgrade my car hitch to support it, and find a rack to store it in vs just parking with a kickstand.

My question is, are Carbon fiber bikes really worth it to someone who isn't going to race, but just wants to go fast for longish distances? Note, my idea of fast and long might be different than what "she" thinks it is

The only reason I'm considering this bike is because, it feels amazing, and is priced about $5 above the Aluminum model with the same features. Oh and it wouldn't need to be ordered in.
Old 09-08-17, 06:25 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,226 Times in 4,277 Posts
Maybe. Depends on your values and goals and budget.

PS
Old 09-08-17, 06:27 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Liked 375 Times in 256 Posts
If you already have a good bike, likely not.
I ride a 2002 bike. I have a Venge I could ride, but not worth the time to set it up for me.
Old 09-08-17, 06:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,965 Times in 1,644 Posts
No.

But not because they're CF. Simply because bicycle prices have gotten ridiculous in general.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-08-17, 06:39 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Apparently you think so. You are the one who said the bike is amazing. Is amazing "worth it" whatever "it" is?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 09-08-17 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-08-17, 06:51 PM
BluFalconActual

Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
“Worth it” is relative. Is good carbon fiber a better material? Yes it is. However, I would buy a good AL bike (Trek Emonda ALR, CAAD12) over a lower end carbon bike any day of the week.
Old 09-08-17, 06:54 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by zachstep
My LBS has a Domane S 5 on sale (2017 model, $700 off the retail price). But I'd have to upgrade my car hitch to support it...
If it weighs that much, maybe you should consider steel.
Old 09-08-17, 07:08 PM
awesomeame

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda SL w/Vision metron 40 wheelset, ultegra gruppa. 2010 Intense Tracer VP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With all the issues I had with mine this year, I likely would just get an aluminum or titanium frame next time. But since Trek has a life time warranty, I'm stuck with my Emonda forever

Matt
Old 09-08-17, 07:11 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by awesomeame
With all the issues I had with mine this year, I likely would just get an aluminum or titanium frame next time. But since Trek has a life time warranty, I'm stuck with my Emonda forever

Matt
How do you figure? You could sell it. And what about n+1?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-08-17, 07:16 PM
JoeBass

Liked 310 Times in 96 Posts
I'd use weight as your guide. A 22lb carbon bike realistically won't perform any better than a 22lb steel bike. A 17lb carbon bike will outperform a 22lb steel bike and a 17lb steel bike will outperform a 22lb carbon bike. Unless one of the frames is losing watts in power transfer (flexy frame) the material itself won't make much difference. I have a 1986 3Rensho steel bike that outperforms many of my carbon bikes. Yes, it's stiff, and quite light for a steel bike.
Old 09-08-17, 08:46 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
OK, I'll bite, Yes, it's worth it. After riding an Aluminium Specialized Allez, I upgraded to a carbon frame and I noticed I could accelerate faster, climb easier, and pedal faster with less effort. Plus, it was more comfortable over rough roads.
Old 09-08-17, 08:55 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Did someone say kickstand?
Old 09-08-17, 08:58 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Nope. Avoid those plastic bikes. Steel is real! Also If you don't race and don't have a kickstand you are a poser.
Old 09-08-17, 09:13 PM
MagicHour

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I had the opposite experience: going from budget Nashbar Carbon frame to mid range aluminum, Bowman Palace:R. I find the new aluminum frame climbs and accelerates better; about equal in the comfort department. Nothing against Carbon though, I like steel too. My steel bike is the most comfortable of all, but different animal...all-day bike with 28 tires and less aggressive setup.

Will add to OP if a bike feels "amazing" that's probably the one you should go with.

Originally Posted by Sojodave
OK, I'll bite, Yes, it's worth it. After riding an Aluminium Specialized Allez, I upgraded to a carbon frame and I noticed I could accelerate faster, climb easier, and pedal faster with less effort. Plus, it was more comfortable over rough roads.

Last edited by MagicHour; 09-08-17 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-08-17, 09:18 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
General, carbon is more comfortable, stiffer, and lighter than metal bikes. I find carbon far more comfortable that aluminum alloy. To me, yeah worth it. I'd only consider carbon for road and Ti for my "cross" or gravel grinder bike. My gravel/cross bike is an alloy Specialized but I often get tempted to switch it to Ti. I'd do carbon but after selling my Moots years ago, I often get the urge to buy another Ti bike.
Old 09-08-17, 09:38 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
The average bicycle retail store earns annual pre-tax profit of 5.5 percent, but the top 25 percent bring home nearly three times that.

They are similar in many ways, but when an average store owner locks the doors for the final time to end a given year, he or she will have netted about $46,000 in profit. The owner of a high profit store nets $123,000.

Fred Clements: A formula for high-profit bike stores | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News
...I think the profit margins are better if you own a liquor store. Without expensive plastic bikes on year end closeout, there would be a lot fewer brick and mortar bike shops.
Old 09-08-17, 10:59 PM
Steven@bikepost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, they are.

And in this case, at a $5 difference, I'd say go for it.
Old 09-08-17, 11:05 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Liked 279 Times in 163 Posts
I'm not the one riding it, but for five bucks difference, I'd go carbon all day long (having ridden steel, aluminum, and carbon).

Ride them both, and decide for yourself.

Fwiw, I would not buy an aluminum road bike, but that is just my choice.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 09-08-17 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-08-17, 11:39 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,573 Times in 3,397 Posts

I've got a couple of bikes. I just love my vintage CF bike. It is light, nimble, and just feels like a bicycle should feel.

But I also like my vintage steel road bike. There is still a bit of fire in the old beast.

It is hard to say which bike is faster on the level. Both the steel road bike and the CF road bike are similar in speed, with the biggest variable being the person pedaling.

I do think the CF bike does have a slight advantage on hill climbs. It is a couple decades newer than the old bike, and perhaps nearly 10 pounds lighter. But my last hard hill climb ride... was on the old steel bike... Why? Well, it turns out that I do a lot of utility cycling, and that ride worked best commuting with the steel bike.

I am considering finding/making a trailer hitch for my CF bike, but so far it hasn't towed a trailer, or carried a bike rack. My old steel road bike (as well as the aluminum Tricross) carries a bike rack, and both have towed trailers.
Old 09-09-17, 12:02 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
Did someone say kickstand?
I know, right.
Old 09-09-17, 12:18 AM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Buy the bike not the material. A good bike is a good bike. For $5 more for the same model, same components, in carbon vs aluminum? I would take that bet. Carbon costs more, a lot more. Being carbon is not automatically better, so to hit a price point, don't get one that feels like **** just because it is a particular material.

As far as the old "stiffer is more efficient" truism, that train is pretty much derailed. Independent studies using finite element analysis and real world testing have not shown any power loss between crank and the ground due to flex among a wide range of performance bikes. So it boils down to what feels good to you.
Old 09-09-17, 04:55 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whether it's worth it depends on whether you can appreciate the difference. Obviously you can appreciate the difference between the bike in question and what you're used to, but ideally you'd be able to ride the Al version of the same bike to compare it. If you'd ridden something similar in Al, that might be good enough, but the mention of kickstands suggest that you're comparing it to a MUCH different kind of bike.
We can't really answer your question, because it's not only a question of value, but also sensitivity, which is entirely personal. You can best answer it for yourself if you can test ride a similar bike in aluminum and see if it is equally (or more) "amazing."
Old 09-09-17, 05:35 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
My personal experiences with carbon bikes is limited to many test rides over the years but I always come to the same conclusion which is there's a huge difference between an entry level carbon bike and a high end model. I had my mind set on a new carbon road bike a few years ago because that's what everyone seems to think is the best option but after test riding countless models at several stores over several weeks, a salesman who was probably tired of helping me handed me a Caad10 and said "go take this for a spin". As soon as I got the bike up to speed I instantly had a smile on my face and knew which bike I was buying. The Caad10 felt firm and lively compared to all of the carbon bikes I had tested and it just felt right.

I will say that there's a huge difference between low-end and high-end carbon. Low-end carbon feels like a sluggish, bouncy noodle and the higher end carbon feels a lot like my Caad10, firm and lively. You definitely get what you pay for and I can't afford the good stuff.

Last edited by dvdslw; 09-09-17 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-09-17, 05:50 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I looked at the title and I was sure that this was going to be a 11-year-old zombie thread.
Old 09-09-17, 05:54 AM
CliffordK

Liked 4,573 Times in 3,397 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I looked at the title and I was sure that this was going to be a 11-year-old zombie thread.
Just wait another 11 years

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.