Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

am i as crazy as many would suggest?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-05, 09:59 AM
pilar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so, i'm leaving in 5 days on a my first tour, a solo one, from san francisco to san diego. my parents obviously are excited, but nonetheless concerned. i was asked by my mom if i'd entertain the idea of renting a car out there, and i just chuckled and tried to explain that then in essence it wouldn't be a tour... i just took it as typical parental instinct. but yesterday i got a call from a good friend who's on a transam cancer benefit ride, and i pick up the phone and the first thing she says is, "eric, don't go on this trip alone," and then goes on to tell me someone in her riding group had just gotten hit by a car and medivac'ed out. she and i realize her concern was a result of the immediate shock of witnessing the crash, and of course i realize i'm taking on a lot of risk by going on this trip, but should i be feeling jitters like this before a first (solo) tour? i try to convince myself that daily, i get into a car in the blink of an eye which is an inherently a more dangerous decision... but i guess i'm just looking for some reassurance from the touring veterans around here that i'll be coming home on an airplane in a seat and not in the underbelly.
Old 06-07-05, 10:05 AM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Once you're actually on the road, I'm betting you'll feel a whole lot better. You'll be enjoying your tour too much to have the heebie jeebies.
Old 06-07-05, 10:42 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am taking a trip from Colorado Springs to Dallas and was hell bent on doing it alone. The challenge was the thing. Since it is a charity ride, I decided I'd be of much more use alive than injured or dead, so I consented to have my mom drive ahead of me each day and meet me at the next stop. I will still be alone during the day, but with quicker access to emergency 'needs.' To each their own
Old 06-07-05, 10:46 AM
MikeR
Very Senior Member

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No - your friend is right. If you value your existence, don't go on that tour. And stay out of that airplane, and stay off you bike! Oh, yea and don't go outside without a respirator. If you do go out, stay out of the sun. In fact don't go outside at all! Don’t eat anything that tastes good – it’ll kill you. While you’re at it get plenty of exercise but don’t exert yourself. If you follow my advice you will have a verrrrry loooong existence.

But if you would rather live than just exist . . .go do it!

Just do it carefully and wear your helmet. Must of all . . . . HAVE FUN!!!
Old 06-07-05, 11:08 AM
shaharidan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
of course there are always dangers to everything, and people who care about you will be concerned. it's also tough for people who don't cycle to really understand and that tends to make them more concerned.
all that being said, i think S.F. to S.D should make a great first tour. you'll be going thru populated area's so plenty of services along the way. and if something bad happens help will be nearby. also it's really no different then riding a bike around your home area. it's just the idea of unfamiliar territory that can be scary, you'll be fine and having a great time once you're on the bike
Old 06-07-05, 02:00 PM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your friends advice "eric, don't go on this trip alone," is interesting. The rider who was (unfortunately) hit was alone? On a charity benifit tour?

Similar to witnessing a horific vehicle accident (I've seen a bunch-with ambulances and helicopters)-then calling folks and telling them not to drive.

Go, re-check your routes perhaps-for mellow roads. Enjoy.
Old 06-07-05, 02:51 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeR
If you follow my advice you will have a verrrrry loooong existence.
No - you wont live any longer, but the boredom will make it seem much longer.
Old 06-07-05, 03:14 PM
pilar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks all for the reassurances... i'm confident that i'll be ok, regardless of whatever the perceived or real risks may be. simply because biking scared sure ain't any fun. just wish my non-cycling friends and fam felt the same.
Old 06-07-05, 03:17 PM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both my Europe trips were solo. It is very rewarding to do trips all by yourself.
Old 06-07-05, 03:20 PM
Mr_Super_Socks

Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
literally thousands of cyclists have done this route, many alone, including myself. You will be fine, but understand too that the possibility of getting killed on a highway is always there, whether on a bike, in a car or just walking along the shoulder. You can't live in fear of what might happen. wear bright colors and try to avoid riding at night. it will be a ton of fun.
Old 06-07-05, 08:23 PM
Schumius
senile member

Bikes: 1 mtb converted for commuting (actually, collecting dust in the garage), a LHT with "durable components"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in my case, i only let my folks know what they need to know, too much detailed information will only get myself into lots of unnecessary trouble. i always get that stunned expression from people who heard that i tour alone like it was cycling in outer space or something. the chance of dying from eating fries, drinking coke and watching tv all day is even bigger. those who have no experiences tend to act like they were some kind of wise men. folks on the forum tell the truth and yes, oh, the boredom...horrible...do it.
Old 07-07-05, 04:34 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Pregnant women and young children crossed the US continent in wagon trains. With hostile natives, wolves, disease, et al... no cell phones, no "local wagon shops" no water filtration systems.

As a species, we've become a pack of timid Eloi.
Old 07-08-05, 10:58 PM
electricwookie
Pure Gonzo Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
Pregnant women and young children crossed the US continent in wagon trains. With hostile natives, wolves, disease, et al... no cell phones, no "local wagon shops" no water filtration systems.

As a species, we've become a pack of timid Eloi.
Quote of the year.
Old 07-09-05, 12:17 AM
womble
No longer in Wimbledon...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Curiously, I seem to recall a post almost exactly like this one from several months ago. You might want to do a search on older posts in this forum.
Old 07-09-05, 05:56 AM
Sigurdd50
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i did one tour around Lake Michigan and Huron
My main regret was not having someone to ride with, hang with, to slow me down...
Old 07-09-05, 08:36 AM
abbub

Bikes: 2003 Trek 520, 80's Openroad, 1975 Schwinn Suburban.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just finishing up a San Francisco, CA to Yorktown, VA trip, having done the Western Express to Transam, West to East. I'm in VA at my family's house right now.

I rode across CA and NV with riding partners, did UT and half of CO by myself, did the other half of CO and a bit of KS with my girlfriend SAG'ing me, but not riding, did most of KS and MO by myself, and then met two great people in Chester, IL and rode the rest of the way to VA with them.

My mental state seemed to be a lot better when I had riding partners or my SAG to hang out with. The way strangers interacted with me seemed to be a lot better when I had riding partners or my girlfriend with me. (I believe that the locals are far less suspecious towards a group of riders, especially when there's a female, than they are to a single male rider.) The ride was overall more fun when I had riding partners.

That said, the number of bad drivers I encountered stayed exactly the same regardless of whether I was with other riders or not, and I'm inclined to think that my chances of getting hit were also about the same.

I ran into three riders in IL who were from Pittsburg (or Philly?) who were riding across for a cancer benefit. Three college age people, two guys, one of whom was British, and a girl. I have their names written down somewhere. Might have been your friend. Hopefully the struck rider is recovering okay.
Old 07-09-05, 06:17 PM
biodiesel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice tour, don't worry. Lots of people do this one alone as part of the Canada-Mexico tour.
Don't worry much about safety. You're right to equate the risk with driving. No-one worries much about driving that distance alone... I've been told to be careful when camping just north of LA, watch out for devils slide just south of Pacifica, and enjoy...