Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Keeping tan sidewalls clean

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-17, 12:47 PM
beicster 

Liked 328 Times in 186 Posts

The main reason I prefer black sidewalls is that the tan ones get nasty looking pretty quick. But, I do like the look of tan sidewalls when they are new. What do those of you who prefer tan sidewalls do to keep your sidewalls from getting awful looking? Do you just wash them a lot? Are there other things that can be done to keep them nice looking? Just how much effort are you putting into it?
Old 10-15-17, 03:12 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
I used to scrub pretty hard, but quickly realized that there was only so much I could do.

Now I savor the look of fresh tires while it lasts, and accept the gray-streaked sidewalls that come from not being afraid to ride my bikes in all weather.

My fixed-gear MTB is a long-term study in sidewall discoloration: the front sidewalls have turned an even gray over the years, while the rear sidewalls blanch in the sun (no brake back there.)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-15-17, 03:22 PM
USAZorro
Seņor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Liked 1,143 Times in 668 Posts
All you can do is hose them off and wipe them down after a ride. As good as it will get them.

More porous sidewalls will likely get discolored more quickly than true gumwalls.
Old 10-15-17, 03:55 PM
Chombi1 

Liked 864 Times in 565 Posts
I suspect, a lot of the staining you get on tan walls is the rubber dust coming from the brake pads, made worse by the carbon black material used in black rubber.
I'm wondering if one uses brake pads that are it black. like the salmon colored pads froom Kool Stop, maybe the sidewall might stay clooking clean a bit longer. Can't really get rid of the problem 100% as the roads are filled with the black rubber dust from other vehicles, plus all the other types of staining dirt that is always just on the road surfaces.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 10-15-17, 04:32 PM
beicster 

Liked 328 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
I suspect, a lot of the staining you get on tan walls is the rubber dust coming from the brake pads, made worse by the carbon black material used in black rubber.
I'm wondering if one uses brake pads that are it black. like the salmon colored pads froom Kool Stop, maybe the sidewall might stay clooking clean a bit longer. Can't really get rid of the problem 100% as the roads are filled with the black rubber dust from other vehicles, plus all the other types of staining dirt that is always just on the road surfaces.
I use salmon Kool stop pads almost exclusively and it does not seem to help. At least not a lot.
Old 10-15-17, 05:10 PM
nlerner

Liked 7,057 Times in 2,698 Posts
I use the spray cleaner Krud Kutter, which I think I got at Home Despot. It doesn’t completely get rid of sidewall schmutz, but does a decent job of minimizing.
Old 10-15-17, 05:15 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by beicster
I use salmon Kool stop pads almost exclusively and it does not seem to help. At least not a lot.
+1 on that. My salmon Kool-Stops develop the same grayish staining as the sidewalls, so I don't think they're to blame. More a mixture of fine aluminum wearing off the rims and dirt from the environment...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-15-17, 05:30 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I wouldn’t scrub too hard, its not too difficult to rub through the side wall materiel of some tires with beige/gum models. I like to use a Clorox bleach pen, lightly and sparingly to clean up as best as I can. But the replies above saying that discoloration is pretty much inevitable are spot on.

Bill
Old 10-15-17, 05:50 PM
St33lWh33ls

Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Two things that bring me joy, new tires on the bike, fresh strings on my guitars. Wear and tear shows use and that’s a good thing, if it’s a show and shine throw some new ones on there, otherwise don’t sweat it. As always YMMV.
Old 10-15-17, 06:50 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Liked 5,439 Times in 1,875 Posts
Well, they aren't tan but a darker brown, but the sidewalls on the Conti Gran Prix Classics seem to hide dirt and all well as mine still seem about the same as they were new. They've seen a fair bit of use on at least 3 different bikes.

Maybe try them as a "compromise"?
Old 10-15-17, 07:05 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

[MENTION=203117]jamesdak[/MENTION], I've thought about giving those Grand Prix Classic a try on my contemporary bike, the tires on my 72 Bottecchia were a darker brown similar to the Continental shade. Now if they made a tubular, I'd be all over it.

Bill

BTW, nice looking Fooj you have there.
Old 10-15-17, 09:07 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Liked 636 Times in 358 Posts
I've had good luck using diluted Soft-Scrub with Bleach. Gets them most of the way clean. I think it's the fine abrasive in the stuff that does the trick, rather than the bleach. Cheapo whitening toothpaste, ditto. The stuff that feels a little gritty when you brush with it. The Dollar Store stuff.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 10-15-17, 09:49 PM
Chombi1 

Liked 864 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Well, they aren't tan but a darker brown, but the sidewalls on the Conti Gran Prix Classics seem to hide dirt and all well as mine still seem about the same as they were new. They've seen a fair bit of use on at least 3 different bikes.

Maybe try them as a "compromise"?
I had those Contis on a wheelset and they more like dark cola colored than tan.......
Personally, I did not really like their looks cause they just look like old tires with dirty sidewalls to me.....
Looks like Conti just "pre-aged/dirtied" them for you......JMOs.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 10-15-17, 11:50 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Liked 477 Times in 262 Posts
I try to wash off my rims and the sidewalls after every rainy ride. It’s fast and easy if they’re off the bike, using a hose and brush. Seems like they clean up pretty well if done soon after, and I use the same brush to quickly wipe off the brake pads. It’s also much easier to wipe down the frame when it’s still wet. I know it sounds fastidious, but my rims last a long time and I greatly prefer working on clean bikes.

Fenders help keep everything clean, and having a dedicated fender bike extends riding time tremendously up here in the PNW. The Mavic Open4CD (hard anodized) rims on the fender bike below didn’t seem to leave much sidewall grime. I’ve put wider polished H+Sons TB14 on it recently. Let’s see how they do on wet rides. All the bikes here have Kool Stop salmon pads.

Last edited by Dfrost; 10-15-17 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-16-17, 05:46 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

One other product I have tried, successfully, is the Clorox Magic Eraser pads. Just keep them damp while scrubbing (lightly,) and they can remove a good bit of the grime and other stains.
Old 10-16-17, 06:28 AM
Grand Bois

Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Bleche Wite tire cleaner. It's been around forever because it works. It comes with a warning not to get it on aluminum, but a quick wipe of the braking surface cleans and slightly etches, thus improving braking.
Old 10-16-17, 08:50 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Liked 600 Times in 433 Posts
Water with maybe a drop of dish soap for dirt. 303 protectant if I want them to look really nice, because I have some for my car tires and rubber parts. Good stuff. Though honestly I don't tend to worry about it.

I would be hesitant to use any sort of chlorine bleach product on tires for fear of it breaking down the structural integrity, but I guess I'm living in the past when tires were cotton and covered in natural latex.

BTW, does anyone else remember having to re-coat tire sidewalls with latex? It would tend to slowly evaporate or otherwise disappear over time if a tire survived long enough. Obviously I'm talking sew ups here.
Old 10-16-17, 08:54 AM
ApolloSoyuz1975

Bikes: Cannondale SR400 (3.0). Phat t00bs!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
I've had good luck using diluted Soft-Scrub with Bleach. Gets them most of the way clean. I think it's the fine abrasive in the stuff that does the trick, rather than the bleach. Cheapo whitening toothpaste, ditto. The stuff that feels a little gritty when you brush with it. The Dollar Store stuff.
Along those lines, Bon Ami powder might be worth a shot.
Old 10-16-17, 09:45 AM
Grand Bois

Bleche Wite does not contain bleach.

White walls were still popular when I started using it. I've noticed no ill effects on bike tires and brake boots.

Last edited by Grand Bois; 10-16-17 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-16-17, 04:23 PM
palincss

Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
I'm wondering if one uses brake pads that aren't black. like the salmon colored pads froom Kool Stop, maybe the sidewall might stay looking clean a bit longer. Can't really get rid of the problem 100% as the roads are filled with the black rubber dust from other vehicles, plus all the other types of staining dirt that is always just on the road surfaces.
The black that's doing the staining is mostly building up on the brake blocks from where they contact the rim. Salmon pads get just as much nasty blackness on them as any other color pads. I think it's aluminum, not rubber.

When I wash the bike I'll wash the wheels and tires as well, spraying Mr Clean, 409 or something similar on them first, then hitting the tires and rims with a scrub brush using a bucket of detergent water.
Old 10-17-17, 10:44 AM
Grand Bois

Water is not good for bikes. My 1974 PX-10 has never been wet.
Old 10-17-17, 11:57 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Liked 600 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I still kind of shudder when people talk about hosing off their bikes after a ride. I was brought up with the idea that water is bad for bikes too. Hosing one off would be a disaster. It just wasn't done.

Suffice it to say there's a sort of age and/or culture gap WRT water and bikes. Now that bikes have sealed bearings, I guess it makes sense to spray down, but I still avoid it. I will use a damp rag now though. BITD it would have been WD40 and a rag. That's IMO still a good way to go with vintage bikes.
Old 10-17-17, 12:15 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Liked 2,265 Times in 1,130 Posts
This is C&V => cup and cone bearings somewhere. Water is not a great idea but a clean terry cloth is ok in my book. Gives an opportunity to check every detail out on the bike! Another C&V attribute.
Old 10-17-17, 02:32 PM
palincss

Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
So you've never even once been caught in the rain?
Old 10-17-17, 04:06 PM
Grand Bois

Originally Posted by palincss
So you've never even once been caught in the rain?
I'm a fair weather rider and it doesn't rain much here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.