Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Did Dawes Galaxy come with full chrome fork?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-17, 08:55 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts

Simple question: did the Dawes Galaxy ever come with a full chrome fork?

Ever since I got rid of my ill-fitting Miyata 610, I have been looking for another classic steel touring bike. This popped up on my CL today, looks in good shape and seemingly worth the asking price, but I can't find any indication that the Galaxies ever came with a full chrome fork. It is a bit of a hike for me to go look at/pick up or I'd just take the chance on it being a replacement and inspect in person, just wondering if anyone can alleviate my fears that it may be a crash damage replacement! Also, if anyone wants to take a stab at the era it is from, I'd welcome that advice too, I have doubts it is a 1991 as indicated in the ad.

Lots of pics here: https://annarbor.craigslist.org/bik/...350488367.html
Old 10-18-17, 09:38 AM
rando_couche

Liked 191 Times in 121 Posts
The fork doesn't appear to be original, but the frame looks to be intact. Looks like an 80's bike based on the forged dropouts and components, but I'm no expert on Dawes bikes.
Old 10-18-17, 10:18 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
If you google dawes galaxy 1991, you'll see some examples with full chrome forks
Old 10-18-17, 11:05 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by oddjob2
If you google dawes galaxy 1991, you'll see some examples with full chrome forks
Hmm, I tried that without much result. I am seeing ones where the chrome run most of the way up the fork, but they always have a small painted area matching the frame color.

Maybe if the guy gets back to me, I'll just take a ride for the heck of it.
Old 10-18-17, 11:47 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 3,699 Times in 2,175 Posts
I wouldn't just look for "touring" bikes. Assuming you are OK with center pull brakes, a great many 70s era steel road bikes would make fabulous touring bikes. I just picked up a mid 70s Sekine SHS 271. The bike has a full tange frameset and nice shimano forged drop outs. The wheelbase is right around 41 inches and the bike would have no issue with 32c tires and fenders. My point is that a lot of 70s era bikes are real sleepers if looking for a road bike that can take a fat tire.
Old 10-18-17, 12:31 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by bikemig
I wouldn't just look for "touring" bikes. Assuming you are OK with center pull brakes, a great many 70s era steel road bikes would make fabulous touring bikes.
To be honest, I'm not even really "looking", if anything I need a fat snow bike first. But yeah, I get what you are saying, I've recently eyed up a U08 as well. This just popped up in my daily search, it intrigued me, especially as it isn't something one sees everyday.

I'm planning a tour of France for the honeymoon next year, and I don't really want to take my nice bike over there. Thought this would make a good option, especially with some time to build it up like I did the Miyata.
Old 10-18-17, 12:35 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 3,699 Times in 2,175 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
To be honest, I'm not even really "looking", if anything I need a fat snow bike first. But yeah, I get what you are saying, I recently eyed up a U08 as well. This just popped up in my daily search, it intrigued me, especially as it isn't something one sees everyday.
A UO series Pug (an 8, 9, or a 10) make great touring bikes (42 inch wheel base, relaxed geometry) but French threaded BBs make things a bit tougher.

A lot of older Japanese bikes with a decent chrome moly frame and center pull brakes can make terrific tourers with a bit of TLC.
Old 10-18-17, 12:43 PM
Slash5

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
They didn't come with chrome forks but the paint doesn't stay on.

Old 10-18-17, 12:47 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by bikemig
A UO series Pug (an 8, 9, or a 10) make great touring bikes (42 inch wheel base, relaxed geometry) but French threaded BBs make things a bit tougher.
AFAIK, Velo Orange still has French square taper BBs, which suit me just fine. Was more worried about the oddball stem/seatpost sizings. Threadless adapters and modern stems are really growing on me, especially for the ease of boxing things and setting them back up.

To be honest, for around home use I love my Mazama for touring duty, I'm just looking for something cheaper to take. Something that I won't mind so much if I toss on an airplane and it comes out a bit banged up, or I come out of my hotel in Amsterdam to find an empty spot where it was locked up. Plus, the fiancee is planning on taking her vintage mixte, if I tell her I am taking my new bike she is probably going to feel the need to buy her own equivalent.
Old 10-18-17, 12:48 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Slash5
They didn't come with chrome forks but the paint doesn't stay on.
That's the info I was looking for
Old 10-18-17, 01:31 PM
T-Mar

Liked 3,052 Times in 1,885 Posts
I strongly suspect that this is a replacement fork based on the presence of retention holes for hub washers with anti-fallout tabs (please, no nuclear proof jokes).

The Reynolds decal is the pre-1983 version, while the components suggest very late 1970s to very early 1980s.
Old 10-18-17, 03:22 PM
ZG862

Bikes: Tom Board 653, Dawes Imperial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't recall Dawes introducing the sunburst finish into the UK until around 1982/3. Mind you, I don't recall that colour combination on a Galaxy. Looks like the UK "Shadow" model (which was distinctly mid market). Rims, pedals, seat post all seem early 80s. Happy to be proven wrong.

Z
Old 10-18-17, 04:21 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Liked 226 Times in 129 Posts
The components and Weinmann concave rims look like late '70s, or early '80. Those "old school" 27" Weinmann
concave rims, given my personal experience with them, are super tough and can take a beating out on the road.

Last edited by cycleheimer; 10-18-17 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-18-17, 06:44 PM
jefnvk

Finally got a response. Turns out it is a replacement fork cause the co-op noticed a blade on the original was bent a bit.

Gotta decide if I want another project or not. Could deal with mid-fork mounts on a new fork, that I wouldn't feel bad adding. OTOH, probably will keep looking.