Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Nut inside road brake lever clamp turns freely - can't tighten levers (w/pics)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-17, 11:21 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts

I just bought a pair of Velo Orange City Bike Brake Levers.

Specifically, these, in the 23.8mm clamp size: https://velo-orange.com/collections/...-brakes-levers

I tried to install them on VO porteur bars this weekend. One lever went on just fine, but the when I slid the other into position on the bar and tried to tighten, the square nut inside turned freely instead of being trapped in place by the sides of the clamp. I didn't crank down hard on these with the wrench, honest! The bolt (and nut, unfortunately) turned quite easily, but wouldn't tighten up.

The square nut now has slightly rounded corners, and you can see evidence of my pliers that I applied to try to figure out how to make it not turn as I examined the assembly.

I'm wondering if I can create a shim to slide in on one side (or both sides?) of the nut, in between the outer sides of the nut and the clamp to prevent the nut from turning as I tighten the bolt from the other side. This would be when the nut is "square", as shown in the center picture of the three below.

If so, what kind of shim might work? I was thinking of cutting thin aluminum (such as from a soda can or beer can) to size, and maybe folding it over once or twice with pliers and a vice to make it thicker. Then perhaps a coating of super glue over the shim (but not down into the threads, obviously) to hold it in place? Or would something as simple as a toothpick of the right diameter work?

Thanks for any advice. I imagine I'm not the first person to have this problem.

Old 11-20-17, 11:29 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,081 Times in 2,641 Posts
I have a vise so I think what I would do is get some steel sheet the width of gap, cut it to the depth of the nut then use the vise and hammer to make a hard cornered "U". If this sees rain, that steel would rust unless yo used stainless. (Think ing out loud here - take my words in that context.)

Ben
Old 11-20-17, 11:45 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Liked 1,095 Times in 725 Posts
[QUOTE=Squeeze;20004581]I just bought a pair of Velo Orange City Bike Brake Levers....

I would ask VO to replace the lever before doing anything to void the warranty.
Old 11-20-17, 11:50 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
What size are your handlebars...22.2mm or 23.8mm ?
Old 11-20-17, 11:54 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

23.8mm.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Old 11-20-17, 11:59 AM
trailangel

Try to get that nut started a bit more before sliding the brake onto the bar
Old 11-20-17, 12:02 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

That's what I tried to do with the pliers - I held the nut in place with the pliers while tightening the nut from below. I could only tighten it a tiny bit and still have it loose enough to slide onto the handlebar.

Latest idea: bend a thick paperclip (or two, to match nut height) into a "U".

Do they make stainless steel paperclips?

Last edited by Squeeze; 11-20-17 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-20-17, 12:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
?putting a 22.2 band on a 23.8 bar?

take the brake apart, the swaged connection of the nut to the band has perhaps, loosened up , if so,

I'd expect a punch, hit with a hammer .. It, securely backed up with a bench vise could tighten it up again..
Old 11-20-17, 12:53 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

No, I am not trying to put a 22.2 band on a 23.8 bar.

Both the bar and the clamp are 23.8mm. The band fits on the bar just fine. It just won't tighten due to the nut turning when it shouldn't. I need to find a way to keep the nut from turning when it's on the bar.

I will disassemble the band and nut & bolt assembly again and see if I can tighten the band.
Old 11-20-17, 02:30 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 3,200 Times in 2,033 Posts
Have a broken spoke soon set out for the trash? Take said spoke & mend the spoke to the shape of the OD of the floating attachment nut. Dab each side to which the spoke touches the outer sides of floating attachment nut with exterior tolerant silicone adhesive caulk.
Old 11-20-17, 02:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Band, squeeze it with pliers to grip the square nut.
Old 11-20-17, 02:40 PM
Dsprok

Bikes: Hybrid and Folding

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Are the threads on the nut damaged/cross threaded?
Old 11-20-17, 03:48 PM
chorlton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like there is a 'cage' which is supposed to stop the nut from turning but the 'cage' is not tight against the nut. Even if you were to bend it to hold the nut it would probably bend back again. Try a meaty star washer?

Oh, sorry.. what I am referring to as a cage is the loop of metal. It's been a while. The bolt end screws against the bar to pull the loop tight. Here's an old Weinmann... Looks like it might almost suffer from the same problem but less so. Try a meaty star washer or a bigger nut.

What Fietsbob said.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF6034.JPG (296.6 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by chorlton; 11-20-17 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-20-17, 04:46 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Tell VO about this (and provide a link to this thread). They should know so they can 1) correct the problem at the source (contact the manufacturer and tell them) and 2) have square nuts to provide to customers to make this right.

All the manufacturer has to do to make this go away completely is use square nuts. Slightly bigger would be nice but the exact same nut without the additional machining would do just fine. (Fix a problem for good by simply omitting an expensive step? What a concept!)

Ben
Old 11-20-17, 04:57 PM
79pmooney

Squeeze, I'll bet that the hex nut chorlton shows on that Weinmann has the same threads as your VO. Find a set of old Weimanns. (Won't be hard. Any older shop will have a box of old levers.)

Ben
Old 11-20-17, 04:58 PM
chorlton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://velo-orange.com/pages/contact-us

Done... Perhaps others can chip in and make mine better.
Old 11-20-17, 06:11 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,472 Times in 1,970 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Squeeze, I'll bet that the hex nut chorlton shows on that Weinmann has the same threads as your VO. Find a set of old Weimanns.
The vast majority of brake lever mounting hardware is standard 6.0mm x 1.0mm thread. This should be available at any decent hardware store.
Old 11-20-17, 06:56 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Thanks for the excellent advice, everyone. Much appreciated.

You know, I'm that guy with ten jars of various nuts and bolts in my garage, yet I'm forever going to Ace Hardware to dig through their nut & bolt bins for just the right thing. Somehow, I hadn't even considered the hardware store yet. I'm still fairly new at wrenching on bikes, and my enthusiasm apparently blinded me to the obvious.

I thought of contacting VO about these levers, but at $13.00 for the pair and intended for a deliberately cheap city bike, I figured it wasn't worth the time or trouble to try to return one lever. Plus, the first thing I did was "polish" the exterior parts with 0000 steel wool to get rid of the high shine they came with. While not extremely obvious once done (check picture on the left in the OP), if anyone compared these to new ones, they'd figure I was trying to pull a fast one by returning old parts.

Off to the hardware store I go, brake lever and allen wrench in hand!

Edited to add: and pliers, because yes, by now the threads are a little...um...rough. Not stripped, but getting there.

Last edited by Squeeze; 11-20-17 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-21-17, 10:33 AM
trailangel

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I would do this
Old 11-21-17, 10:42 AM
woodcraft

Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
You could fix the nut in place with wire shims and some dabs of shoe goo.
Old 11-21-17, 01:42 PM
chorlton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It would seem that Velo has zero interest in fixing the manufacturing defects in their products...

Originally Posted by chorlton
https://velo-orange.com/pages/contact-us

Done... Perhaps others can chip in and make mine better.

Hi Chorlton

Thanks for the heads up. I've not heard of this before and I'm not on that forum, but we'd welcome sending a new bolt/nut set up or whole lever to OP, if you can let them know.

Cheers

Bob Smurf

Velo Orange
1981 Moreland Parkway, Building 3
Annapolis, MD, 21401 USA

443-949-8115 phone
443-926-0095 fax

www.velo-orange.com

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Chorlton <Chorlton> wrote:
Good to know they can send you some more defective bits though.

Last edited by chorlton; 11-21-17 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-21-17, 02:13 PM
chorlton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We are sending the photos to our factory, and asking a "please remedy" but since we've not had this occur before and we've sold thousands of these, I'm wondering if it is just this set of nuts that is the issue.

We still hold open the offer of a replacement

Bob

Velo Orange
1981 Moreland Parkway, Building 3
Annapolis, MD, 21401 USA

443-949-8115 phone
443-926-0095 fax

www.velo-orange.com

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 2:44 PM, Chorlton <Chorlton> wrote:
Thanks Bob.
Old 12-11-17, 03:57 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Original Poster here. Thanks again to everyone who took time to help. As Paul Harvey used to say, here is the rest of the story.

The short version: I fixed the problem, but wasn't confident in my repair. I contacted VO for a replacement. They sent me a new pair on a Friday, the same day I asked, and it arrived on Monday. They bolted on right away with no problems at all. I'm happy with the outcome and with VO's customer service.

The long version:

Before I contacted VO, I snipped apart the pull tab from a soda can, where the aluminum is already rolled over on itself for double thickness. Then I dabbed on some super glue, being careful not to get any down in the threads. It worked pretty well, but I couldn't stop thinking that I shouldn't have to fix a brand new product, even one with a very low price.

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The vast majority of brake lever mounting hardware is standard 6.0mm x 1.0mm thread. This should be available at any decent hardware store.
I was going to do this, until I realized the band or clamp was connected to the nut. Metal from the band wraps down under the nut. I didn't think I could remove the nut without destroying the band.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I tried that (a few times), but there just wasn't enough slack in the band for the pliers to have any effect. The band was tight around the bar and I couldn't make it any tighter or add pressure where it needed to be.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Squeeze, I'll bet that the hex nut chorlton shows on that Weinmann has the same threads as your VO. Find a set of old Weimanns. (Won't be hard. Any older shop will have a box of old levers.
I did buy a set of old Weinmanns from one of Denver's bike co-ops. Free plug: Bikes Together | Denver's Nonprofit Bike Shop (I'm not affiliated with them except as an occasional customer and donor)

The Weinmanns are pretty nice. They cleaned up really well, but I wasn't able to use any part of them to improve the VO levers. I hope to use them on my next vintage MTB drop bar conversion to get that "extra vintage" look over aero levers.

Here they are on the VO porteur bars. I kind of liked the look, and now I feel as though I've tried moustache bars with the forward-mounted levers, but the extra motion required to roll my wrists back before being able to reach for the levers seemed inefficient and uncomfortable. I didn't think I'd get a full pull with them rotated down to the usual position for bars like this due to the curved levers.

Here's a before picture, prior to Nevr Dull and then Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. Yes, I realize it's ironic that I wanted to shine up an old set of levers but dulled the shine on the new levers with 0000 steel wool.

I think I am becoming a serious bike nerd.

Thanks again for the help, everyone. I haven't finished the bike yet, but when I do, I'll post it in this thread:

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions