Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Is buying too big alright?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-17, 11:41 AM
KeeganBikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am planning on purchasing a bike a found on craigslist that is a little too big for me. It is a great value, $550 for a scott scale with deore xt components, shimano hydraulic disk brakes, and a nice rock shox fork.

The problem is I am 5'5" and the bike is an 18.9" Large. I was previously riding a crappy mountain bike, size medium that fit me pretty nicely, and I don't know if this will be just too big to ride comfortably. I have a 31" inseam.

Should I just go for it because it's a good value or look for other options because it's too big? Have any of you had experience with bikes too big?
(It's a hardtail btw if that makes any difference).
Old 12-12-17, 02:04 PM
prj71

Liked 1,275 Times in 830 Posts
The best you could do is get the shortest stem possible and move the seat forward as far as it will go, but it will probably still be too big for you.

It's a chance you can take though.
Old 12-12-17, 02:28 PM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't care if a bike was plated in gold, I would not buy it if it didn't fit me.

I'm 5'5" also and we should be on a SMALL!

Standover does not matter, it's the reach that will be behind excessive on a bike that is too big.

I'd much rather have a bike that was too small than too big.
Old 12-12-17, 03:17 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by KeeganBikes
I am planning on purchasing a bike a found on craigslist that is a little too big for me. It is a great value, $550 for a scott scale with deore xt components, shimano hydraulic disk brakes, and a nice rock shox fork.

The problem is I am 5'5" and the bike is an 18.9" Large. I was previously riding a crappy mountain bike, size medium that fit me pretty nicely, and I don't know if this will be just too big to ride comfortably. I have a 31" inseam.

Should I just go for it because it's a good value or look for other options because it's too big? Have any of you had experience with bikes too big?
If the bike is truly undervalued and you really can't ride it, you can always sell it at a higher price than you paid.

Might take some time and effort. But if you're SURE the bike is undervalued at $550 (and I have no idea personally) then it's a low risk proposition.

You can also go there and test ride it first and see if it's ridable.
Old 12-12-17, 05:56 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Liked 232 Times in 169 Posts
that is a little too big for me..... It is a great value,
Welcome to BF!

Unless you like discomfort and want a bad posture and not ride to your potential, your two statements don't belong in the same sentence.

Would you buy shoes 2 sizes too large just because they are on clearance?

Not sure the flipping idea is good because someone else may have snagged that bike already away if it was worth much more. Even if it pans out, lot of hassle for $50 or whatever? and if no one buys it from you, you are stuck with a bike that doesn't fit.
Old 12-12-17, 05:59 PM
Kanegon

Bikes: Topstone, Chisel, 930, Facet

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Fit is everything, IMHO. I just downsized from a 19.5" Trek frame that I rode for 5 years, to an 18" Trek frame and the difference is huge. According to specs, I could have gone either way, but the smaller frame is more nimble, the strokes feel more natural and the cockpit more reassuring. Less pressure on the wrists, cuz I'm not as stretched over the frame (though a little more pressure on the saddle). We're talking fractions of inch here and there, not smaller all around, due to geometry difference. The wheelbase is almost the same, biggest difference coming from the top and seat tube. If you had to negotiate a tricky course, which would you prefer?
Old 12-14-17, 08:39 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Liked 2,571 Times in 1,451 Posts

While hieght alone does not determine fit, a 19” bike is usually going to be absurdly big for someone 5’-5”.

With a 31” inseam there is a good chance you could squeak by on the height, though you might be limited how low you could run the bars (depends on the stack height).

However, the real issue is going to be the very long reach. You can only go so short with a stem, and if this is a more recent design then it may have been designed around a shorter stem to start with.

Long of the short is that no bike is a good deal if you are making compromises on fit. I would much rather ride a $1000 bike that fits just right than a $5000 one that was too big.

So unless you know something that you have not revealed that would indicate that you should be on a freakishly large bike for your hieght, I would skip this bike.

Last edited by Kapusta; 12-14-17 at 08:47 AM.