Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

MTB Commuter Sizing?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

MTB Commuter Sizing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 07:36 PM
Wendell F
My pants used to fit me

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, All-City Super Professional

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
MTB Commuter Sizing?

I'm thinking about buying an old rigid MTB to fit with slicks and fenders for commuting. It was always my understanding that you go with way more standover on a MTB than a roadie to give your crotch more space when bouncing around offroad. This bike will never see dirt.

I ride a 16" MTB and a 49cm road bike. Do I go with a 16" for the commuter or would I want to go bigger?
Old 02-14-18, 01:34 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,150 Times in 1,402 Posts
Go with the reach. Stay with a small or a 15 or a 16 or whatever it is for you. MTB's do have more standover, it's true. That's still convenient with a commuter bike, it gives you something like stepthrough when you have panniers or a kid seat.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-14-18, 01:10 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Liked 3,751 Times in 2,790 Posts
MTB sizing by seat tube length is extremely variable, as the top tube can slope down by so many different angles. Reach will be more important for you, and you'll just have to test-ride. But yes, for a MTB that you plan to never take off road, I would tend to size it up in the seattube some, as long as it doesn't put the bars out of reach.
Old 02-16-18, 03:16 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,680 Times in 2,381 Posts
FWIW & this might be useless info, I found my 1st MTB (red). thought it was a blast. did some mods & got a really fast commute time out of it. one day at my LBS was told it was too small 18" & told to find a 20" which I did (same brand & model) (grey). I don't think I remember noticing much difference in "fit"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mountain bike w fenders 1.jpg (103.9 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-20-18 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-17-18, 09:11 AM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I ride a 19" modern MTB off road. For a flat bar bike I like a 59-61cm center of seat tube to center of head tube top tube length. On my vintage Mongoose, that means I can ride up to the 23" frame. I also have a 23.5 High Sierra that fits the bill. My 88 or 89 RockHopper is a 20" frame, but apparently has a longer top tube as all 3 measure the same.
Old 02-19-18, 10:13 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,537 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
MTB sizing by seat tube length is extremely variable, as the top tube can slope down by so many different angles. Reach will be more important for you, and you'll just have to test-ride. But yes, for a MTB that you plan to never take off road, I would tend to size it up in the seattube some, as long as it doesn't put the bars out of reach.
I disagree that the seat tube length sizing on mountain bikes is variable. The actual length may vary but a 19” (or 16”) mountain bike is still going to have the same reach as any other 19” mountain bike. That’s where. Someone going from a 16” mountain bike to a 19” mountain bike is going to have trouble with reaching the bars.

A 19” road bike is 49cm, by the way but the proportions are very different.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-20-18, 11:53 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I have two mtb at home that are labeled as 20" (with a sticker on the seat tube), but different top tube angles and lengths make them vastly different size bikes.
Old 02-20-18, 12:22 PM
Wendell F
My pants used to fit me

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, All-City Super Professional

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sounds like the most important thing is to look for something with an effective TT length of 20.8" like my current road commuter (and ride before buying if possible).

Thanks!
Old 02-20-18, 12:24 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Yes, TT length is most important, effective seat tube length is easily modified by the extendible seat post.
Old 02-21-18, 09:36 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Wendell F
Sounds like the most important thing is to look for something with an effective TT length of 20.8" like my current road commuter (and ride before buying if possible).

Thanks!
The 0.8" part of that measurement is probably unimportant. Look for a top tube that is "around" 21". Varying by 1/2" to even 3/4" either way probably won't be all that noticeable.

I have two mtb at home that are labeled as 20" (with a sticker on the seat tube), but different top tube angles and lengths make them vastly different size bikes.
I would doubt that they are "vastly different" enough that someone who rides a 16" mountain bike could use either one of them.

On the other hand, I have five 20" mountain bikes that aren't "vastly" different in the way that I fit on them. That's from a cruiser type mountain bike to two dual suspension bikes.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-21-18, 10:07 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I would doubt that they are "vastly different" enough that someone who rides a 16" mountain bike could use either one of them.
I'm not suggesting OP could ride them, I'm saying one of them is my bike, and the other is significantly too small to be my bike.
Old 02-21-18, 03:55 PM
cyccommute 

I'm not suggesting OP could ride them, I'm saying one of them is my bike, and the other is significantly too small to be my bike.
I would say that one of them is marked in error then. I've owned 22 mountain bikes (including the 5 I have now). I haven't ridden any mountain bike is has a 20" frame that is too small nor, for that matter, is too big. Granted I don't have any with wheels larger than 26". 29er could mess up the sizing but for someone who rides a 16" frame, a 29er probably isn't a good idea to begin with.