Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Wearing Mis Matched Kits

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-18, 11:20 AM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts

So I like Castelli jerseys but like Pearl Izumi bibs. I also have many other jerseys but mostly wear Pearl Izumi bibs. I will try to match the socks and mitts, usually with both of the same brand, ( Castelli jersey, sock and mitts or Pearl Izumi socks, and mitts). Any fashion foul in wearing a mis matched kit? OCD?
Cheers
Old 02-17-18, 11:28 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 149 Posts
As mismatched as I usually am, I must look pretty Fredly.
Old 02-17-18, 11:35 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4793 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,014 Posts
As long as the color of the bibs is basically just black, mismatched brand names are fine IMO. Probably the reason black is such a used color.

Winter weather, typical outfit is Castelli convertible jacket, PI or Castelli longsleeve jersey, LG tights. Long-finger gloves are Castelli or Cannondale, helmet is Bell or CDale.. Shoes are Giro or Mavic, but with Performance booties in the cold.. Summer weather.. jerseys are from all over the place and very likely not the same brand as bibshorts.
Old 02-17-18, 12:29 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7701 Post(s)
Liked 3,615 Times in 1,906 Posts
Why does anyone care about this tripe?

News Flash: 99.9 percent of people who look at you don't really see you and the one in a thousand who does sees something very different than you see.

You see a resplendent figure in colorful matched kit---others see a niucance, a freak in a leotard, some guy who could lose a few pounds, or some weird guy with shaved legs, or some guy who needs to grow up.

if you are a female rider, all anyone sees are your the regions men fight over---the women to compare, the men to ogle.

Do you Really think people care if you match your socks to your gloves?

People are all way too busy focusing on what They look like to care what You look like ... as is proven by this thread
Old 02-17-18, 12:30 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22732 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 4,230 Posts
Ride more. Worry less.
Old 02-17-18, 12:57 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

News Flash: 99.9 percent of people who look at you don't really see you and the one in a thousand who does sees something very different than you see.

You see a resplendent figure in colorful matched kit---others see a niucance, a freak in a leotard, some guy who could lose a few pounds, or some weird guy with shaved legs, or some guy who needs to grow up.

if you are a female rider, all anyone sees are your the regions men fight over---the women to compare, the men to ogle.

People are all way too busy focusing on what They look like to care what You look like ... as is proven by this thread
Lol too funny and so true. If you are a dude, I’m checking out your bike. If you are a chick, I am checking out your cleavage.
Old 02-17-18, 01:27 PM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Do people seriously have nothing better to worry about?
Old 02-17-18, 01:35 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
As long as the color of the jersey matches the color of the socks, everything else is fair game.
Old 02-17-18, 02:48 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Actually, that's the whole point. We're supposed to care about our own presentation.
Whatever we wear, whether it's standard or eccentric, we wear by choice, and it's a visible choice. It's non-verbal communication. It's one-way, so sure, we generally have no idea what anyone gathers from it. What matters is how we choose to present ourselves, and that's a decision we make for ourselves. We can present ourselves as extravagant, modest, thoughtful, observant, neat, sloppy, insouciant, non-conformist or daring. If some choose to be inarticulate, well, that's their prerogative. However, while one may not care about what's normal, one can't pretend, for example, that white cycling shorts are normal, or that they are as modest as black.

Anyhow, it seems to me the op's question was not so much a matter of what anyone's opinion was, it was a matter of whether mis-matched kit was non-conformist, or broke any rules. I'm inclined to believe that such rules are not arbitrary, but rather they are something one should be able to figure out for oneself, just by imagining various situations.

For example, if you're on an official team training ride and your kit is all matching: good. I think most of us are aware that in that situation your kit damn well better match. At the other end of the spectrum, if you're just a working stiff out on a weekday Dawn Patrol before getting ready for work, and you're wearing new, matching kit: not so good. Maybe you have OCD? So, if you're just a random participant in a random group ride, as long as it's presentable, random kit is pretty much par for the course.
Old 02-17-18, 02:55 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbell_64
What makes you think people come here to discuss things they NEED to worry about?
Old 02-17-18, 03:09 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Man I still have a lot to learn. Didn't know this was even a thing. The only thing I concern myself with is making sure the color palette I choose is not too horrendously mismatched. But brands?! Who cares.
Old 02-17-18, 03:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Functional and cheap. That's all I'm concerned about. My favorite shorts are navy blue, my knee warmers are black. My socks look like I stole them from an elf.

If I cared how I looked I'd wear a Molteni jersey.

On second thought, nobody looks good in that color orange.
Old 02-17-18, 04:09 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canklecat
Functional and cheap. That's all I'm concerned about. My favorite shorts are navy blue, my knee warmers are black. My socks look like I stole them from an elf.

If I cared how I looked I'd wear a Molteni jersey.

On second thought, nobody looks good in that color orange.
I think if you had a sufficiently dark, menacing look, you could carry it off.... And if you can't grow the sideburns, you can just get some Cat Ears....

Old 02-17-18, 04:14 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
...Cat Ears....
Clever. I may have to try that. I'm losing hearing in my left ear, and wind noise is making it worse and more difficult to hear vehicles approaching.

I noticed during a couple of cold weather rides while wearing thin ear warmers I could hear better -- less wind noise.
Old 02-17-18, 04:20 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Man, I've worn two different gloves on a ride before.....on several occasions.
Old 02-17-18, 04:34 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canklecat
Clever. I may have to try that. I'm losing hearing in my left ear, and wind noise is making it worse and more difficult to hear vehicles approaching.

I noticed during a couple of cold weather rides while wearing thin ear warmers I could hear better -- less wind noise.
In all seriousness - I definitely recommend them. I first tried them not too long after I started riding. I rode around with them for a few days and didn't think they made much difference - could still hear the wind - so I took them off, figuring they just made me look dorky. But once I hit about 17-18mph I thought: wait, hold the phone.... Then really picking up speed on a descent I realized: Yikes - that's LOUD!
Toodling around town on the Citibike, I never feel the need for them, but I've only gone out on a couple of more serious rides without them, and I regretted it each time.
Old 02-17-18, 04:38 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by jbell_64
It is winter cabin fever season in the northern hemisphere.
Old 02-17-18, 04:45 PM
ridingfool

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Have many pi jerseys and pi jerseys as I do cannondale and LG but rarely. Do I match them I just open a drawer and grab what's clean and what the weather permits.very seldom will I match and when I do nobody ever notices same as when I mismatch. Don't think anyone really cares.although I can't afford them when I see riders in rahpa gear all matched it does look good
Old 02-17-18, 04:53 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4793 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by ridingfool
I see riders in rapha gear all matched it does look good
Completely random thought, but why do I always think of the word "effete"?
Old 02-17-18, 05:09 PM
ridingfool

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Completely random thought, but why do I always think of the word "effete"?
Maybe so to a degree but most that do wear them are on very expensive bikes hardly ever see one riding a alum bike. So guess if u can afford it why not buy what looks good
Old 02-17-18, 05:10 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pickettt
Man, I've worn two different gloves on a ride before.....on several occasions.
Lost some gloves on the train before means in the winter I wear a different glove on each hand everyday.

I can't imagine trying to match socks and gloves... I just try not have my bottoms and tops clash.
Old 02-17-18, 05:12 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7701 Post(s)
Liked 3,615 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Whatever we wear, whether it's standard or eccentric, we wear by choice, and it's a visible choice. What matters is how we choose to present ourselves, and that's a decision we make for ourselves.
Right so by that logic how can anyone else choose for him? I'll send him out in adult diapers and swim fins.
Old 02-17-18, 05:20 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Right so by that logic how can anyone else choose for him? I'll send him out in adult diapers and swim fins.
Sounds like a party!
Old 02-17-18, 05:28 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4872 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 2,617 Posts
I make it a point to see that my right gloves, socks and shoes and the lefts of the same match in color and model. Other than that, no I don't concern myself.

Ben
Old 02-17-18, 05:31 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Ride more. Worry less.
Agreed. I have never worried about matching colors or brands. In fact, I own only Assos and PI shorts. I own Only Gore, Castelli and Suigi jerseys. Thus, I couldn't match even if I wanted to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.