Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do these old panniers attach?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-18, 08:16 PM
rseeker

Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts

How do these old pannier bags attach to the rack? Assuming they're upside down in the picture, I see the hooks to go over the upper bar, but then how are they fixed on the lower end?

What is that vertical piece that has a ring (looks like somethign you'd pull from a hand grenade)?

And would these mount on typical modern pannier racks?

Old 03-10-18, 08:19 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Liked 2,489 Times in 1,580 Posts
You would bolt small hooks to the rear dropout eyelets, or just use longer bolts and hook the spring ends over them.

Dropout bolt.JPG

Last edited by thumpism; 03-10-18 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-10-18, 09:14 PM
rseeker

Thanks. So then I guess the horizontal piece with the three screws in it is to allow you to move the vertical piece+ring to an alternate location to better match wherever the rear eyelet hook is.
Old 03-10-18, 09:23 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 350 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
Thanks. So then I guess the horizontal piece with the three screws in it is to allow you to move the vertical piece+ring to an alternate location to better match wherever the rear eyelet hook is.
I think you nailed it.
Old 03-10-18, 09:25 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Liked 2,489 Times in 1,580 Posts
Correct. Sometimes you can move the upper hooks to improve the hang or how the hooks fit relative to the rack's crossbars. I did this to a set of panniers I used on my last tour; relocated hooks to achieve maximum spacing for improved stability.
Old 03-10-18, 09:55 PM
skidder

Bikes: Yes

Liked 1,683 Times in 1,146 Posts
Some rear racks have a built it attachment point, usually made by bending one of the downtubes on each side where they attach just above the bottom bracket attachment point so a pipe of tube point either backward or forward. Its obvious what I'm talking about if you look at your rack - if its not there, use the hooks or long bolts methods shown above.
Old 03-10-18, 10:29 PM
rseeker

Originally Posted by skidder
Some rear racks have a built it attachment point, usually made by bending one of the downtubes on each side where they attach just above the bottom bracket attachment point so a pipe of tube point either backward or forward. Its obvious what I'm talking about if you look at your rack - if its not there, use the hooks or long bolts methods shown above.
I've seen that, but never knew. Nice when the world makes a little bit *more* sense.
Old 03-11-18, 12:19 AM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Those look like old Cannondale panniers. I have some. They've lasted well, and the mounting system has worked well for me. Yes, you have figured out how to mount them correctly.
Old 03-11-18, 07:32 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,658 Times in 2,204 Posts
You could also add S hooks to the spring ring and hook anywhere convenient near the dropout.
Old 03-11-18, 10:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Rough roads can result in them bouncing off, because the spring is what holds them down..

Workarounds are pretty simple to resolve that.. cordage and a knot..
Old 03-12-18, 09:34 AM
Craptacular8

Liked 38 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
How do these old pannier bags attach to the rack? Assuming they're upside down in the picture, I see the hooks to go over the upper bar, but then how are they fixed on the lower end?

What is that vertical piece that has a ring (looks like somethign you'd pull from a hand grenade)?

And would these mount on typical modern pannier racks?

Ditto on the S hook addition to the ring. We used a set of vintage cannondale panniers last year for some tours. The hooks go over the top bar, the o ring (we attached s hooks) then hook to some small hooks on the bike's dropouts. We found that one bag stayed on solid, the other had a tendency to pop off over pretty much any bump. Good luck.
Old 03-12-18, 10:33 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,537 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
Ditto on the S hook addition to the ring. We used a set of vintage cannondale panniers last year for some tours. The hooks go over the top bar, the o ring (we attached s hooks) then hook to some small hooks on the bike's dropouts. We found that one bag stayed on solid, the other had a tendency to pop off over pretty much any bump. Good luck.
I've used exactly this kind of pannier for a number of tours with similar results. Chasing panniers into bar pits gets old.

On the bright side, replacing the hanger with something better is relatively simple. It wouldn't be hard to replace it with an Ortlieb QL1 system for not a lot of money. The rails, hooks and lower mounts would cost less than $25 and they are much less likely to launch off the bike on every bump.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-12-18, 10:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
my super secure fitting scheme used straps and buckles.. R Beckman..

It has a PITA removal , security , so in camp I leave them on, draped the rain covers over them.. plastic bag on the saddle..

Ortlieb are the opposite, they have an extra locking accessory cable/padlock, because they are easy to remove..

they're useful around town as I take them off, in with me, when the bike gets locked on the city's bike racks..

1st generation top rail molded in a buckle, a strap & hook, down to the dropout end of the rack, kept the grab & run removal more difficult..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-12-18 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-12-18, 12:44 PM
Craptacular8

Liked 38 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I've used exactly this kind of pannier for a number of tours with similar results. Chasing panniers into bar pits gets old.

On the bright side, replacing the hanger with something better is relatively simple. It wouldn't be hard to replace it with an Ortlieb QL1 system for not a lot of money. The rails, hooks and lower mounts would cost less than $25 and they are much less likely to launch off the bike on every bump.
Good to know. They are pretty panniers, we were careful with them, as the internal frame was threatening to wear through on the corners. So, with a thought to the tours we were planning this year, bought Orlieb's to replace them, mostly so we wouldn't have to worry about re-setting, and re-setting a pannier that didn't want to stay down. My cheapy-ish Seattle Sports Co ones have a simlar hooking system to the Orliebs, and were easy to hook and stay in place.
Old 03-12-18, 08:17 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 350 Times in 228 Posts
I've used very modest/smallish Delta panniers for commuting for more than a few years. Secured at the bottom with hooks attached to bungee cord. Up above , the hooks have stayed in place on the top of the rack for the last couple of years with small lengths of Nite Eze wrapped around the hook and rack top. I buy longer ones and cut them in half. https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...hoCchcQAvD_BwE

Each section usually lasts at lest several months.