Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Helmet Quick Release Buckle?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-18, 08:24 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The clasp or buckle on my helmet broke. One of the 2 prongs broke. I've often found the buckle a PITA to release, especially if I'm wearing gloves. So I will get a 5/8" replacement, probably just like the last one.

But is there something better? Maybe something with a lever release, or more pronounced release nubs, or whatever...

My helmet is a Specialized about 18 months old. I was replacing a Bell I pulverized going over the bars (concussion and small crack in pelvis). It's at least my 4th concussion (ages 17, 30, 32, and 70) so I chose a MIPS model. I believe my old buckle made by Fastex, and it is not the origninal one that came on the helmet (that was consistently difficult to release).

THANKS
Old 03-11-18, 09:22 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Liked 1,102 Times in 747 Posts
I've never had much difficulty releasing the buckles on Bell helmets but I don't try it while wearing full finger gloves. Bell's "Pinchguard" buckles are good as they have an extension under the clasp area to keep your skin out of harm's way.

They will probably send you the same type as the one that broke but if you contact Specialize I'm sure you will get a replacement at no cost.
Old 03-11-18, 10:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Liked 738 Times in 469 Posts
Buckles are not listed at the Specialized helmets/parts page.
I would be surprised if McNetts/Gear Aid didn't have something.
REI usually has a display of McNetts products. I've seen buckles there.

-Tim-
Old 03-11-18, 10:53 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 4,188 Times in 2,471 Posts
Helmet brands are less likely to support buckle replacement then a bunch of years ago. Something about increasing liability concerns...

Broken buckles have been an issue for years. My second Bell Biker used plastic "double D rings" and of course they broke after a while. I sewed in metal ones, like my first had. Andy (channeling those old guys)
Old 03-11-18, 11:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
National molding, 'fastex' side release buckles must be made by the zillions , in many styles ..
too bad you didn't buy shares in the company on the NYSE..
Old 03-12-18, 07:56 AM
leob1

Liked 107 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
They will probably send you the same type as the one that broke but if you contact Specialize I'm sure you will get a replacement at no cost.
If the experience my wife had with Giro is an indication, they will not replace a buckle for free or for cost.
She lost one end of the buckle, she contacted Giro and their answer was to buy a new helmet as the couldn't guarantee the safety of the helmet with a replacement buckle.
Old 03-12-18, 09:52 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 4,188 Times in 2,471 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
If the experience my wife had with Giro is an indication, they will not replace a buckle for free or for cost.
She lost one end of the buckle, she contacted Giro and their answer was to buy a new helmet as the couldn't guarantee the safety of the helmet with a replacement buckle.

Just as I said.

I always have certain thoughts about people who fudge or low ball safety equipment. When I owned my shop near case Western Reserve University and first year students came in for their bike work They would roll their eyes at my recommendation of protective gear for their education. I asked them how much that education was costing them (or more often their parents... and that's the root of the problem, not their money at stake) compared to the cost of a helmet to help retain the education should the worst happen.

Having said that I do understand that some will make a choice with different priorities then I would. As example, for some their helmet is a fashion thing first and foremost. Andy
Old 03-12-18, 10:34 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Liked 3,236 Times in 1,742 Posts
Idea - go to a bike store with lots of helmets and examine the different types of clasps available and see if you like one of them better.

Then you can decide to buy a new helmet with the good clasps or know which kind of clasp you would like to use as a replacement.

Reminds me to save the undamaged buckles from old helmets when I replace.

Surprise - there's a YOUTUBE on how to do it. Looks a lot like my Giro, I don't know if Spec uses the same configuration.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 03-12-18 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-12-18, 05:28 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Liked 1,102 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Reminds me to save the undamaged buckles from old helmets when I replace.
I do that and have about 6 buckles salvaged from replaced helmets over the years.
Old 03-13-18, 10:49 AM
grizzly59

Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
If you don't have extra buckles, try Goodwill and cannibalize. I think the shelf here has about 8 helmets for 3 bucks or less.
Old 03-13-18, 10:56 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Here is a 5/8" strap pinch quick-release buckle. Select the buckle that matches the strap width.
Old 01-14-20, 06:34 PM
kfarm10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replacement Clip

Helmet manufacturers buy their clips/buckles from clip manufacturers. One of the big manufactures of clips is ITW Nexus. If found it pretty amazing that a big manufacturer like Giro couldn't figure out how to offer such a simple replacement part, and how most folks out there on forums had trouble finding the right replacement. After much searching, I found the ITW TSR 63 helmet clip that turned out to be compatible with every Razor, Giro and Smith helmet in my house, and used this to replace a lost male clip (fit perfectly):
go to hudson4supplies.com and search for itw-tsr-63-trovato-side-release-16mm-5-8-black
Old 01-14-20, 08:23 PM
bpcyclist

Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Huh. I have never been able to unfasten a clip/buckle with gloves on. Not sure why I would need to. I don't take my helmet off unless I am taking a break or finished riding.