Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How many of these iconic roads have you ridden?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-18, 01:51 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I’ve been fortunate to have ridden some of these. Plans are to do Glacier in July.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is nearby and I was fortunate to have ridden the entire length of it including Skyline Dr a couple years ago.

I’ve ridden Vail a few times. I’m not a big fan of paths, especially on descents.

https://blog.mapmyrun.com/7-worlds-iconic-bike-routes/?utm_source=mmf&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MMRide_Newsletter_20180313&os_ehash=55@sfmc:18443470
Old 03-15-18, 03:03 AM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
None of them! :-(

However, I've done some challenging, iconic rides:

- Haleakala Crater, Maui, Hawaii, three years ago (sea level to 10,000 feet in one go).

Above: The top of the mountain (Haleakala Crater isn't actually a crater) is about 9,000 feet higher from where I made this photo, hiding behind clouds. It's a beautiful ride from start to finish.

- Three roads lead up to the Mt. Whitney Portal, Onion Valley and Tioga Pass from the floor of the high desert into the upper regions of the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California. I've pedaled up Tioga Pass several times and pedaled up the other two in 2016.

Above: the start of the ride up to Onion Valley, my brother leading the way.

- Stelvio Pass, Italy. The top is 16 miles with an average 8% gain in elevation and almost 6,000 feet of climbing, with 48 hairpin turns, most of them above tree line. The second highest paved road in Europe summits next to a glacier at a ski resort that's only open during the summer. I made the ride about four and a half years ago.

Above: This is one of the last hairpins. My brother was again my model.

- Fargo Street, Los Angeles. Just a 10th of a mile but with a 33% grade. The views from the top out over much of the city are almost worth the effort. I've made this ride countless times, at least once almost every year since 1978. I'm also the former record holder for most times up in one day on the annual Fargo Street Hill Climb.

Above: It's a steep climb up Fargo Street.

- Mulholland Highway from Leo Carrillo State Park, at the Pacific Ocean, to the Rock Store, a favorite destination for cyclists and motorcyclists alike. The ride travels over almost 16 twisting, up, up and up and miles, with a great few downhills. Much of the way highway leads through ruggedly beautiful state parklands. And there are beautiful views over the Santa Monica Mountains, the city of Los Angeles and beyond. I made this ride last year.

Above: Mulholland Highway, a few miles east of its starting point, leads past some spectacular scenery. Bony Ridge is in the background.

- Bonus ride: The Hollywood Sign, in Los Angeles. It's not a long ride from where cars have to stop and bikes - and pedestrians - can continue up to the top of the sign, where there are mind-blowing views of the city and surrounding geography. It become a very steep ride, though. I've made the ascent many times over many years.

Above: That's me, with the city of Burbank far below me, with several hundred yards to climb to reach the end of the ride.

Last edited by icyclist; 03-15-18 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-16-18, 01:00 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I've only been off the N. American continent once, and that was to Hawaii. However, I have ridden two of the three on this continent, both with full touring loads. I never did manage to get over to Montana.

Fun stuff, these lists. I imagine many of us could put together equally nice lists of great rides, though many of our choices would likely be far less famous.
Old 03-16-18, 03:48 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Great Ocean Road ... several times.
Old 03-16-18, 04:51 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
I did Going to the Sun Road/Logan Pass in Glacier last year - we did it in June when they were still plowing snow but on weekeds bike (but not cars!) were allowed on the western side up to Logan Pass. It was in the 60s and not a cloud in the sky - just an amazing climb/ride.

I live in Maryland, have done sections of Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive. Once a year they shut down the northern part of Skyline Drive to cars but I've never been able to ride that day.
Old 03-16-18, 08:28 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 2,109 Times in 594 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist

Awesome routes and awesome pix!

Old 03-16-18, 09:29 AM
dhender02

Bikes: Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I haven't done any thus far, but by this time next year, prayerfully I would have done two, Blue Ridge Parkway in June and Great Ocean Road in January '19. Since these are already planned family trips with my wife (she doesn't cycle) I'll probably only do about 30 or so miles on each route since I would only be able to slip away for a couple of hours without upsetting the "vacation" apple cart. But at least I'll be able to say I've done it, right?
Old 03-16-18, 10:33 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4382 Post(s)
Liked 3,054 Times in 1,653 Posts
Friend of mine rode Alpe d'Huez as part of a TdF spectator tour and gave me a live shoutout on international TV

Old 03-16-18, 11:19 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I’ve been fortunate to have ridden some of these. Plans are to do Glacier in July.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is nearby and I was fortunate to have ridden the entire length of it including Skyline Dr a couple years ago.

I’ve ridden Vail a few times. I’m not a big fan of paths, especially on descents.

7 of the World?s Most Iconic Bike Routes | MapMyRun
Right in my backyard & been thinking of this. Did you do N-S or S-N? Ride it through or do it in sections over time?
(Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread)
Old 03-16-18, 04:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

- Haleakala Crater, Maui, Hawaii, three years ago (sea level to 10,000 feet in one go).

Above: The top of the mountain (Haleakala Crater isn't actually a crater) is about 9,000 feet higher from where I made this photo, hiding behind clouds. It's a beautiful ride from start to finish.

- Three roads lead up to the Mt. Whitney Portal, Onion Valley and Tioga Pass from the floor of the high desert into the upper regions of the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California. I've pedaled up Tioga Pass several times and pedaled up the other two in 2016.

- Stelvio Pass, Italy. The top is 16 miles with an average 8% gain in elevation and almost 6,000 feet of climbing, with 48 hairpin turns, most of them above tree line. The second highest paved road in Europe summits next to a glacier at a ski resort that's only open during the summer. I made the ride about four and a half years ago.

- Fargo Street, Los Angeles. Just a 10th of a mile but with a 33% grade. The views from the top out over much of the city are almost worth the effort. I've made this ride countless times, at least once almost every year since 1978. I'm also the former record holder for most times up in one day on the annual Fargo Street Hill Climb.

- Mulholland Highway from Leo Carrillo State Park, at the Pacific Ocean, to the Rock Store, a favorite destination for cyclists and motorcyclists alike. The ride travels over almost 16 twisting, up, up and up and miles, with a great few downhills. Much of the way highway leads through ruggedly beautiful state parklands. And there are beautiful views over the Santa Monica Mountains, the city of Los Angeles and beyond. I made this ride last year.

Above: Mulholland Highway, a few miles east of its starting point, leads past some spectacular scenery. Bony Ridge is in the background.

- Bonus ride: The Hollywood Sign, in Los Angeles. It's not a long ride from where cars have to stop and bikes - and pedestrians - can continue up to the top of the sign, where there are mind-blowing views of the city and surrounding geography. It become a very steep ride, though. I've made the ascent many times over many years.

Above: That's me, with the city of Burbank far below me, with several hundred yards to climb to reach the end of the ride.
That's awesome. My wife lived in Hollywood for awhile. This is when I was a runner so I logged some miles on the fire trail between Deronda and the Observatory. On the way back I would make a detour up to the sign. I had always had the NorCal bias against LA, but actually spending time down there made me a (grudging) fan.
Old 03-16-18, 04:57 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I've done Alp d'Huez and Going to the sun.
Places I'd add to the list:
Mt. Ventoux
Icefields Parkway
Highwood Pass
Old 03-16-18, 07:09 PM
gevad 

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Cannondale Topstone, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mercator
I've done Alp d'Huez and Going to the sun.
Places I'd add to the list:
Mt. Ventoux
Icefields Parkway
Highwood Pass

That looks awesome! Where is it, and is that you?
Old 03-16-18, 07:46 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

With cycling being a passion of mine for only the last 4 or 5 years, nature photography has been one for the last 30 years. I appreciate good shots, and these are pretty good. Especially fond of #2, 4 and 6.

Old 03-16-18, 07:58 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 536 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by dhender02
I haven't done any thus far, but by this time next year, prayerfully I would have done two, Blue Ridge Parkway in June and Great Ocean Road in January '19. Since these are already planned family trips with my wife (she doesn't cycle) I'll probably only do about 30 or so miles on each route since I would only be able to slip away for a couple of hours without upsetting the "vacation" apple cart. But at least I'll be able to say I've done it, right?
Here's my favorite Blue Ridge Parkway ride. 62 miles and 7000 feet. It includes the highest point on the Parkway, Richland Balsam at elevation 6050 feet. It mostly runs along the crests of the mountains, so there's alternating great views on either side, and lots of overlooks to make brief stops. At the turnaround, get water refills and carryout lunch at the Pisgah Inn, or snacks at the camping store. The restaurant also has a good, inexpensive breakfast, and the dining room has view way across the valley below.

Pinnacle Ridge to Pisgah Inn route

Zoom in and check out the terrain!
Sept 2009 photo album.

The ridewithgps route doesn't know about the tunnels, so it shows the route going over the tunnel ridges with short, steep climbs. See mile 17 and mile 29 tunnels. The max grade is mostly under 8%, often 6% or less, perhaps with a few short sections that reach 9% or so. Downhills rarely need braking, with wide, sweeping turns.

Or start at Richland Balsam for a 45 mile, 5200 foot ride, or one of the many overlooks near the beginning of the ride. But you miss the final downhill at the end.

Still too much? Start at the Pisgah Inn and ride to the Caney Fork overlook. Out and back is 39 miles, 4300 feet, and a big downhill on the return. (no water is available, bring two bottles.)
Pisgah Inn to Caney Fork overlook

Your non-rider wife can spend the day in Asheville, there's lots to do there.

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-16-18 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-16-18, 09:06 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
Rode most of the Blue Ridge Parkway in 1981 with wife/future stoker as part of an adventure from Atlanta to New Hampshire to Milwaukee.

Old 03-16-18, 10:19 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
Right in my backyard & been thinking of this. Did you do N-S or S-N? Ride it through or do it in sections over time?
(Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread)
We went North to South in May 2015. Perfect weather every day and minimal traffic except around Asheville. Great views since leaves were off the trees. We started on a Sunday and finished the next Saturday. We did all of Skyline Dr the first day which was 115 miles and over 10,000’ of climbing. All total it was almost 600 miles and 60,000’ of climbing. My wife sagged for us so we didn’t have to worry about fluids....except when she went hiking one day and was really late to our meeting spot! You should do it.
Old 03-16-18, 10:56 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
One.
Old 03-17-18, 07:09 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by gevad
That looks awesome! Where is it, and is that you?
Yeah, that's me coming off the Highwood pass a couple of years ago. From my house, it's a double century. Light traffic, smooth pavement and good shoulders.
Old 03-17-18, 07:55 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
M-32 in Northern Lower Michigan. We have our own flavor of iconic.
Old 03-17-18, 09:51 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
M-32 in Northern Lower Michigan. We have our own flavor of iconic.
Great Lake riding is great near the shore or inland. I vividly remember roads like that near Rochester New York. Rollers have their own rhythm.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-17-18 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-17-18, 10:01 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
We went North to South in May 2015. Perfect weather every day and minimal traffic except around Asheville. Great views since leaves were off the trees. We started on a Sunday and finished the next Saturday. We did all of Skyline Dr the first day which was 115 miles and over 10,000’ of climbing. All total it was almost 600 miles and 60,000’ of climbing. My wife sagged for us so we didn’t have to worry about fluids....except when she went hiking one day and was really late to our meeting spot! You should do it.
Planning on an Outer Banks Loop in April. Probably my only trip this Spring. Maybe the BRP would be a good target for early next Spring.
Old 03-18-18, 02:40 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked 1,366 Times in 859 Posts
Pacific Coast Highway "Surf Route 101" numerous times, from Oceanside to downtown San Diego

When I lived in west Los Angeles, I regularly did Mulholland Dr., also PCH south as far as Huntington Beach, north as far as Pt. Mugu.

My favorite epic climb, no longer legal since it is now a one-way downhill street, was Tuna Canyon in Malibu. I am glad I got in 8 ascents before I moved out of the area and they regrettably closed it to all uphill traffic. Megabummer!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-18-18, 03:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Found myself on the start-grid finish line of the Spa Francorships GP race course on my Bike tour from Strasbourg. west to the Belgian Coast..
Old 03-18-18, 07:49 PM
dhender02

Bikes: Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Here's my favorite Blue Ridge Parkway ride. 62 miles and 7000 feet. It includes the highest point on the Parkway, Richland Balsam at elevation 6050 feet. It mostly runs along the crests of the mountains, so there's alternating great views on either side, and lots of overlooks to make brief stops. At the turnaround, get water refills and carryout lunch at the Pisgah Inn, or snacks at the camping store. The restaurant also has a good, inexpensive breakfast, and the dining room has view way across the valley below.

Pinnacle Ridge to Pisgah Inn route

Zoom in and check out the terrain!
Sept 2009 photo album.

The ridewithgps route doesn't know about the tunnels, so it shows the route going over the tunnel ridges with short, steep climbs. See mile 17 and mile 29 tunnels. The max grade is mostly under 8%, often 6% or less, perhaps with a few short sections that reach 9% or so. Downhills rarely need braking, with wide, sweeping turns.

Or start at Richland Balsam for a 45 mile, 5200 foot ride, or one of the many overlooks near the beginning of the ride. But you miss the final downhill at the end.

Still too much? Start at the Pisgah Inn and ride to the Caney Fork overlook. Out and back is 39 miles, 4300 feet, and a big downhill on the return. (no water is available, bring two bottles.)
Pisgah Inn to Caney Fork overlook

Your non-rider wife can spend the day in Asheville, there's lots to do there.
Thanks!! I will definitely use one of your suggestions when we visit this summer!!!
Old 03-19-18, 11:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18595 Post(s)
Liked 16,088 Times in 7,551 Posts
I've climbed the west slope of Going to the Sun four times, descended it three times and descended the east slope once. Last time up and back down the west side was last June.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
35835483865_e0c4a03194_k.jpg (1,012.2 KB, 209 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.