Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

How necessary are Hydro disc brakes for racing cyclocross?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-18, 04:26 PM
MattyMurdah

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Cross // 2014 Scott Addict 10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently purchased a Fuji Cross bike to commute with and do a bit of gravel riding. It has mechanical Shimano 105 shifters paired to TRP Spyre disc brakes and although the braking hasn't felt like a huge improvement over my race bike's rim brakes, I've never felt like I needed a ton more stopping power.

My question is: for entry-level cross racing, how important is it to have Hydro disc brakes? I will probably attempt my first cyclocross season this year and want to start preparing to upgrade if it might mean a significant improvement in performance or enjoyment. (I get a team discount if I purchase a bike in November)

FWIW, I live in San Francisco so most of the local cross races are fairly dry. Thanks for any input!
Old 03-29-18, 04:33 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
This is the "recreational gravel/cross" subforum. For actual racing, you might get better feedback here: https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocross-racing/
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-29-18, 04:51 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I raced last year with cantis, and they were just fine in dry weather. I’m sure me h discs would be a big upgrade when it’s wet. I don’t think i’d worry too much about mech vs hydro is you’ve already got one...both I’m sure will stop the bike.
Old 03-29-18, 05:01 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
The only reason to think about mech vs hydro...is that mech doesn't automatically advance pads for wear. So potentially, you'd have to advance the pads during a race...but that is it. Both systems, properly set up, can throw you over the handlebars.
Old 03-29-18, 05:01 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 630 Posts
They work pretty similar as long as you use good compressionless brake housing with the mech. The main problems with mech are if the brakes are low quality or someone uses spongey housing. Hydro feels maybe a bit stiffer and stronger if comparing two good setups, but not a huge deal.

Hydros do self-tighten as the pads wear out, since the amount the pads back out when you release the lever depends on how far they had pressed in against the rotor. *Usually* this isn't a big deal within a given event, though. Maybe make sure there's a barrel adjuster accessible from the handlebars on the mech brake housing if you're unsure...

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I raced last year with cantis, and they were just fine in dry weather. I’m sure me h discs would be a big upgrade when it’s wet
Yeah. With well-adjusted cantis with good pads, shouldn't make much real difference in the dry. Discs do offer better modulation when mucky, since they're better at sweeping their braking surface.

Last edited by HTupolev; 03-29-18 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-29-18, 05:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
For dry NorCal races? Not at all.
Old 03-29-18, 07:24 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
My cross bike has mechanical disc...work fine. My last one had cantis which also worked fine. The cantis did clog up with mud a little when the course got sticky.
Old 03-30-18, 12:48 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Necessary - not at all.
Races are still being won on bikes equipped with either brake system.
The day only disc bikes win races it’ll be b/c all riders capable of winning are on disc bikes. Presumably more by sponsorship deals, upgradeitis or sheer availability rather than any huge performance advantage.
How NICE and/or BENEFICIAL discs are vary from rider to rider.
And ever from ride to ride.
While I rode for decades with rim brakes with nothing more than some mild grumbling during wet rides and when a rim wore out, I sure appreciate that discs require less hand effort to give the same amount of braking.
Not having to wait a full turn of the wheel or two before getting good braking in the wet is also nice, particularly in tight situations.
Old 03-30-18, 08:39 AM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Until the newest gen of Shimano which shrunk the hydro shifters, Katie Compton was using mechanical disc brakes. She won multiple championships on mechanical disc; only started using hydro from 2017. That being said I'm a huge fan of hydraulic.

I have read of people having issues with mechanical in wet gravel races because the cable housing gets clogged with mud.
Old 03-30-18, 10:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Decades of races won on bikes with cantilever brakes.. Cross is a lot about running and getting on and off the bike fast.

The solution was a guy with a hose and a 2nd bike, swapped at the pits.. Mud is Heavy, so a cleaned bike lowers your lap times.

Rise and Repeat..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-30-18 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-30-18, 02:20 PM
MattyMurdah

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Cross // 2014 Scott Addict 10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the context guys! Good to know there's no real need to upgrade soon.
Old 03-30-18, 02:34 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I did my first season of CX on a Trek 660 with the narrowest knobbies I could find jammed under the caliper brakes. (It was fine for September races. Not so great in November. But I had a blast anyway.)

I'd show you a picture but Photobucket is holding it hostage.
Old 03-30-18, 02:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Seems DNF is part of Photo bucket's charm , a post so private that wont be visible by anyone.