Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Has technology progressed to the point that even cheapest groupset is ok quality?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Has technology progressed to the point that even cheapest groupset is ok quality?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-18, 03:58 PM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts

New Alivio and Tiagra are just amazing to look at. For such a cheap price and they perform flawlessly. Has cycling technology progressed or matured to the point that manufacturers cannot make crap quality parts for the low end lines in their hierarchy like they did in the past? Like they don´t save any money doing so. Also, I notice very little difference going from 105 to Dura Ace and SLX to XTR...
Old 03-30-18, 04:06 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
I've had Dura Ace, Record, ect. My modern bike has Ultegra 6700. I had a '15 Specialized Diverge with Claris. It was outstanding and if it was the only group I was ever able to have I would have been fine with it. It's good enough for probably 95% of riders. Light enough, peforms flawlessly and replacement components are dirt cheap. The new Claris R2000 is really sweet.
Old 03-30-18, 04:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4518 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,821 Posts
Originally Posted by Obeast
New Alivio and Tiagra are just amazing to look at. For such a cheap price and they perform flawlessly. Has cycling technology progressed or matured to the point that manufacturers cannot make crap quality parts for the low end lines in their hierarchy like they did in the past? Like they don´t save any money doing so. Also, I notice very little difference going from 105 to Dura Ace and SLX to XTR...
Most lower end stuff is still going to be crap at least for Shimano. Tourney doesn't really get better it just updates the look of the crap. First it came in brown and now it is gone green and next it might be yellow but crap is crap.

Certainly the mid level stuff seems to have some improvement especially in the looks department. I think if they got rid of Tourney, Claris and Altus for sure the line up at the low end would certainly look a lot better and perform a lot better as well. Make fewer gruppos and focus more time on each one making them better and trying to lower some prices but not quality.
Old 03-30-18, 04:17 PM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I never buy retail but I don´t see how Sram force shifters can cost more than full Tiagra groupsets on ebay. I guess it is the convergence of the Ikea effect and technology that pushes most of us to work on our bikes. Tons of tutorials on youtube, riddit and forum like this so it´s not like it´s a trade secret anymore on how to repair stuff. I just watched a video that taught me how to build wheels...

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Most lower end stuff is still going to be crap at least for Shimano. Tourney doesn't really get better it just updates the look of the crap. First it came in brown and now it is gone green and next it might be yellow but crap is crap.

Certainly the mid level stuff seems to have some improvement especially in the looks department. I think if they got rid of Tourney, Claris and Altus for sure the line up at the low end would certainly look a lot better and perform a lot better as well. Make fewer gruppos and focus more time on each one making them better and trying to lower some prices but not quality.
Old 03-30-18, 04:21 PM
Lazyass

Most lower end stuff is still going to be crap at least for Shimano. Tourney doesn't really get better it just updates the look of the crap.
Can you elaborate with specifics?
Old 03-30-18, 04:22 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I was just at CostCo and they had a $170 bike. I wouldn't call it "OK quality" - lots of stamped sheet metal. The RD said "Shimano" but I couldn't see a model name. (I've had Sora level bikes that were just fine - this $170 bike looked way below Sora level.)
Old 03-30-18, 04:27 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
That $170 bike I mentioned above had a RD hanger that looked like 1/16" sheet metal.
Old 03-30-18, 04:38 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 630 Posts
Also, I notice very little difference going from 105 to Dura Ace and SLX to XTR...
I'm not sure that's really much different than the distant past. The core mechanical design in a SunTour Cyclone rear derailleur isn't much different than a cheapo SunTour Honor of the same period; the former is just much lighter and less chunky and generally better-constructed.
The Cyclone was also more likely to be paired with ratcheting shifters for a satisfying click and light-action feel, compared with the simpler friction shifters that typically came with the lower-end stuff.

And that's mostly how things are today. When you go up component tiers, you're buying rear cogs and build quality. And like the old days, the big difference to shifting is in how good the shifter feels.

The actual derailing action is pretty similar at all levels because it works near perfect even on the bottom-end stuff: there just isn't much room for improvement. In terms of the mechanical requirements, Shimano had modern indexed shifting more or less figured out by the end of the 1980s. And most of those requirements can be implemented for pretty cheap.

A Tourney drivetrain looks chunky, weighs a lot, has a plasticky-feeling shifter, and likely has a shorter lifespan than the higher-end stuff. But yeah, when it's dialed in, it'll operate fine.
Old 03-30-18, 05:03 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by tyrion
That $170 bike I mentioned above had a RD hanger that looked like 1/16" sheet metal.
What does the hanger have to do with the group? The OP wasn't asking about bikes.
Old 03-30-18, 05:03 PM
rico_mack

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Arenburg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I normally buy one rung down from the top tier stuff, I.e xt, ultegra, force, etc. mostly because I can’t afford the price of top tier stuff. I have on occasion used 3rd tier stuff and found them out of the box to be very good and probably comparable to the 2nd tier stuff. But what I’ve noticed is the 3rd performance deteriorated quicker than the second tier items. Perhaps the same can be said when comparing 2nd tier with the top tier item. But I have no real experience with that.

Since performance longevity of components is important to me therefore I buy 2nd tier components. My $0.02 worth.
Old 03-30-18, 05:19 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 194 Posts
What does the hanger have to do with the group? The OP wasn't asking about bikes.
I suspect the hanger was attached to the derailleur itself, to be bolted on to the frame.
Old 03-30-18, 05:22 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
it may be helpful toe ht OP and the rest of us to clarify what "crap" means.
I'd say both Shimano and SRAM will be good enough quality to last and work as intended for a long time. What you get more with more $ is more gears (requiring more precision in design and manufacturing) and les weight. With even less weight, you may get less durability at a given number of speeds.

I'd say pick a drivetrain by the number of gears you want and the ratios available. then pick the lowest set in that speed-range. If you get the cheapest of each manufacturer's 11-speed groupsets, you still get excellent shifting quality, just a bit more weight (and with that possibly more durability?) than the most expensive 11-speed. but either option will shift fine.
Old 03-30-18, 05:42 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Aubergine
I suspect the hanger was attached to the derailleur itself, to be bolted on to the frame.
Tourney is Shimano's lowest end model. The hanger is not attached to the derailleur. Looks kind of cheap but I don't see any sheet metal.

This is their second from the lowest. It's basically what 105/Tiagra, ect was a few years ago. You would probably never wear it out. It's good enough for most people on this web site.

This is the new Claris R2000. You can't tell me that looks cheapo. You can buy one for twenty bucks.

Old 03-30-18, 06:00 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6286 Post(s)
Liked 4,329 Times in 2,425 Posts
For Shimano, I would say yes. And it depends on what part you are talking about. Shimano's front derailers, for example, are much better in the lower classes for both mountain and road. Ultegra front derailers are more difficult to set up and less forgiving of wider range drivetrains than the Tiagra, Sora and even Claris.

The very worst front derailer ever made is the XTR carbon e-type mount. The carbon is far too flexible for the job and doesn't shift well at all. Sometimes it's flexible enough that it won't even shift at all since the mount just flexes and the derailer doesn't move.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-30-18, 06:35 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2756 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,075 Posts
Tourney is Shimano's lowest end model. The hanger is not attached to the derailleur. Looks kind of cheap but I don't see any sheet metal.

They make stuff lower than tourney. Just not stuff we'd be thinking about.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=3494361
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-30-18, 07:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4518 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,821 Posts
I never buy retail but I don´t see how Sram force shifters can cost more than full Tiagra groupsets on ebay. I guess it is the convergence of the Ikea effect and technology that pushes most of us to work on our bikes. Tons of tutorials on youtube, riddit and forum like this so it´s not like it´s a trade secret anymore on how to repair stuff. I just watched a video that taught me how to build wheels...
Lighter and smoother shifting is part of it for SRAM Force. Also those might be used or counterfeit or just someone who bought a ton of them like an OEM type of deal.

Of course one can work on their stuff as well and keep it going. You don't always have to buy the latest and greatest but it can be quite nice.

Cheaper parts made from stamped metals or cheap plastic and other materials. The shifting isn't smooth and crisp but generally clunky and slow. Parts are going to be heavier but not stronger. In some cases low quality bearing seals and bearings or just cheaper bushings instead. Poor cable retention...the list could go on for a while but hopefully you get the point.
Old 03-30-18, 07:28 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 480 Posts
I never buy retail but I don´t see how Sram force shifters can cost more than full Tiagra groupsets on ebay.
Apparently SRAM does a good job of protecting their supply chain against this.

Inside SRAM, Chicago's thriving high-tech bicycle-components company - Business Insider
Old 03-30-18, 07:33 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
How thin can you slice the baloney?

Shimano, for example, makes so many different lines of components that I can't keep track of them all. Without a doubt the high end ones work a bit more crisply than the cheap ones. The question is how many groups do you have to move up or down before you can discern a noticeable difference? The good stuff also tends to be a little lighter in weight and definitely looks better. Honestly, there's a prestige factor at work here too.

Price, on the other hand goes up exponentially as you move up the food chain.

I think that selecting components is more a function of your price gag point than quality or performance.
Old 03-30-18, 07:38 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Probably most stuff works ok. It is the geometry that makes RD work right. So---no matter what the RD is made of, if it put the jockey wheel under the right gear it is going to shift.
Old 03-30-18, 09:11 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 2,003 Posts
Slop outta box
Deflection reflexes
Drag & Lag
Automatic indecisive gearing selecting
One time use hardware

that is what meets the elcheapo criteria & it will always exist in all pricings / brands.

I wouldnt say tech has defaulted to positive progression. It just got more creative.
Old 03-30-18, 09:50 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I have no experience with high-end components.

My first derailleur bike was a 70s Schwinn Varsity 2x5. My newest is a 1x9 with Shimano Acera. Both would qualify as entry level. The difference in shifting is night and day. I've also maintained a family fleet of entry level bikes.

I would trust entry level components from a reputable brand to function well and be reliable for years. Is there possible room for improvement? I'd like to see the use of materials and coatings that don't rust during the winter, though my Acera derailleur held up remarkably well after I applied a greasy coating to it before the beginning of road salt season.
Old 03-30-18, 10:28 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6286 Post(s)
Liked 4,329 Times in 2,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Slop outta box
Deflection reflexes
Drag & Lag
Automatic indecisive gearing selecting
One time use hardware

that is what meets the elcheapo criteria & it will always exist in all pricings / brands.

I wouldnt say tech has defaulted to positive progression. It just got more creative.
You have to go very deep into the cheap parts to see this kind of performance. I’m mean deep! Below Claris. Even Tourney on BSOs from Helmart are serviceable and have none of the attributes you list above. Their shifters are positive. They can be adjusted so that shifting is crisp and remains that way. And I see a lot of them on BSOs at my local co-op that are incredibly durable. No, it’s not great stuff but it’s not nearly as junky as cheap parts from the 80s and 90s was.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-31-18, 03:59 AM
Lazyass

Cheaper parts made from stamped metals or cheap plastic and other materials. The shifting isn't smooth and crisp but generally clunky and slow. Parts are going to be heavier but not stronger. In some cases low quality bearing seals and bearings or just cheaper bushings instead. Poor cable retention...the list could go on for a while but hopefully you get the point.
What groups would those be and which of those have you owned? With the OP mentioning Tiagra and Alvio, which are nice groups, I don't think he was referring to stuff on Walmart bikes.
Old 03-31-18, 07:05 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 2,003 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You have to go very deep into the cheap parts to see this kind of performance. I’m mean deep! Below Claris. Even Tourney on BSOs from Helmart are serviceable and have none of the attributes you list above. Their shifters are positive. They can be adjusted so that shifting is crisp and remains that way. And I see a lot of them on BSOs at my local co-op that are incredibly durable. No, it’s not great stuff but it’s not nearly as junky as cheap parts from the 80s and 90s was.

What is likely the case is that the "cheap" experiences that fail fast could just be NOS items reboxed and labeled. I've ordered online what was said to be one model, but received either the leftovers (returned it) or the revised one (tried it & kept it usually) that was relisted under the old parts info. I've also walked into lbs & found on display pretty old stuff that the store likely dusted off often. If it were not for me looking for something right near it, I'd have never picked up on it, googled searched it, & found it to be x years old.
Old 03-31-18, 07:49 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
If you don't mind 8 speed and a small amount of extra weight, absolutely Claris is at least "OK quality". Certainly way beyond "crap" and the general criticisms of sloppy shifting etc do not apply. It's doubtful that there is any drop in durability either.

There's not much wrong with Tourney either. When you get to levels of Shimano below that, the unnamed groups that they sell mostly for inexpensive mass produced bikes, we're better off avoiding. Although those also seem to work fairly well, I think they wear out quickly and they can be a pain to adjust and keep adjusted. Honestly I think that last part is the main reason why bike shop mechanics seem to despise them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.