Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ordered Celeste - Got Matte Black Celeste - Happy Accident?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-18, 11:59 PM
glowrocks

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito Celeste, Trek 7.5 FX, Felt Z6

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I wanted a Celeste Bianchi Infinito for a few years now.

Earlier this month, I pulled the trigger and ordered one to be delivered to a "local" branch of a small mid-west chain.

After 2 weeks of anticipation, I got the word that the bike was in, assembled and ready for me to pick up.

A short 4-hour drive (ha!) later, I walked in the store, back to the shop, and told them what I was there for.

You can imagine my utter disappointment when he wheeled out a black Bianchi. Not a Celeste Infinito.

Oh no!

So the manager checked, and indeed, they had shipped the wrong color.

But, he said, we have a generous return policy, and given how far you've driven, why don't you take this one home to ride until the Celeste model shows up.

Now here's the problem.

Having pulled the trigger on the Celeste, I started having second thoughts about the Celeste color. Maybe it was too much. Too showy. Not really my style.

Mild second thoughts that I presumed would vanish upon receipt of the bike.

So imagine my surprise at the major question I now face, because, as it turns out, having looked the bike over more closely, I kind of like it!

It is matte black (and that is a concern in and of itself) and has very nice Celeste touches throughout the body.

The Celeste bottle cage looks great, and I had already decided to keep the black tape on the Celeste model, but now I think the Celeste tape would look great on this Matte Black/Celeste combo.

Pictures tomorrow. I got home late and am too tired tonight.

Interesting problem to have, eh?

I'm curious if anyone has faced a similar decision, though of course it will be up to my heart to decide.

The answer is: NOT a happy accident. The Celeste model was ordered and has arrived!!

Last edited by glowrocks; 04-29-18 at 08:03 PM. Reason: UPDATE!!
Old 04-18-18, 05:43 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
It's up to you man, but IMHO the black Infinito is for people who don't have the balls to go full Celeste. It's OK, not everyone can pull it off. The black one is still a nice looking bike, but it's look is compromised IMHO.

Old 04-18-18, 06:40 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,462 Times in 4,673 Posts
I would stick with the Celeste or, at the very least, ask for a bit of compensation on the black bike.
Old 04-18-18, 07:06 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
If I got a Bianchi, I'd very much want it to be Celeste.
Old 04-18-18, 07:23 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
I'm in the other camp. Love the black with Celeste highlights. Standing by for pictures...
Old 04-18-18, 07:30 AM
indyfabz

Liked 17,451 Times in 8,154 Posts
It's just a Bianchi, which is a Swedish bike.
Old 04-18-18, 07:39 AM
colombo357

Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
It's been done before, I suppose.

Old 04-18-18, 08:26 AM
ljp3

Bikes: CDale Synapse Hi-Mod 3, Bianchi Oltre XR.1, Giant Anthem Advanced 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an oltre that is matte black with Celeste highlights, and yes Celeste bar tape does look great. However if I had ordered or had the option I would have went with predominately Celeste.
Old 04-18-18, 09:25 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My old carbon XL was black with Celeste decals. I kept Celeste cork bar tape on it and it looked great. I would have preferred a full Celeste bike but it wasn’t an option in the frame back then. In your shoes, I would keep it as black because I am too impatient to wait for a reorder. Get some Celeste bar tape to enhance the look and go ride it.
Old 04-18-18, 09:28 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
I have a celeste matte Oltre XR4 but wouldn't mind a black version with celeste bar tape. Both colors are gorgeous.
Old 04-18-18, 10:03 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Liked 561 Times in 347 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I would stick with the Celeste or, at the very least, ask for a bit of compensation on the black bike.

Agree....if buying a Bianchi bike, I would have to have that nasty green! Its awesomely ugly to me.
Old 04-18-18, 10:34 AM
glowrocks

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The current state is, they are trying to figure out if they even have a Celeste in stock (as their computer shows).

I'm still trying to decide (30 days max, so that's plenty of time!).

I get Bianchi == Celeste. That's where I started.

But this color scheme looks pretty sweet, so it's hard.

One thing though, re: other threads and matte finishes ... if I keep this one I will ask for a discount as the matte finish is already showing signs of the aging that is to come.

Photos soon.
Old 04-18-18, 12:17 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Liked 141 Times in 70 Posts
Before I leave Italy for good next year, I am hoping to buy an Infinito CV Disk. For some insane reason, they aren't making that particular frame in celeste. It only comes in the matte black with celeste accents. If it was available in straight celeste, I would be riding it now...
Old 04-18-18, 01:29 PM
glowrocks

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just got word from the store. NO Celeste 2017 Infinitos in any of their stores. Their computer shows stock, but a physical check reveals 2 codes pointing to one bike, and it's matte black/celeste.

So now the question is, what to do. This bike sold for $3200 + tax.

I've been shopping for them for 3-4 years and know that's a pretty good price, although each year you can find similar prices (usually).

So I'm not spending 5k (every time I specced one at Comp. Cyclist that's what it came out to).

I'll either keep this bike or wait and try for an end of life 2018 model late this year, early next year.

I do plan to ask for an additional discount, both for the (accidental, but still) mis-representation, as well as for the fact that the matte finish will likely be problematic (I think there's one stain on it already, more reason for additional discount).

Q: what's a reasonable amount to ask for?

I'm thinking 500, as $480 is right at 15% which I'm sure they can handle.
Old 04-18-18, 03:10 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
The correct answer is to own both. That way you can compare the ride quality of the color schemes.
Old 04-18-18, 05:13 PM
smarkinson

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I've got a red Bianchi.

'cause it's faster.
Old 04-18-18, 07:51 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Liked 561 Times in 347 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
I've got a red Bianchi.

'cause it's faster.

I know of places this would get you beat up.

Seriously funny though!
Old 04-18-18, 08:17 PM
himespau 

Liked 3,120 Times in 1,926 Posts
I think I'd return it because I'd always look at it and see something that wasn't quite what I wanted and be a little disappointed.
Old 04-18-18, 08:18 PM
glowrocks

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Photos are posted: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...-infinito.html

Last edited by cb400bill; 04-18-18 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 04-18-18, 08:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 8,075 Times in 4,480 Posts
Cool look or not- i wouldnt want a frame that already has wear and signs of aging to come(whatever that means).
Old 04-18-18, 08:50 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Liked 974 Times in 565 Posts
You obviously took some time deciding and shopping for the bike you wanted. Since this is not the bike you ordered, I would ask for an immediate refund and politely ask the shop to notify you if one becomes available in the configuration you requested. You've mentioned you're already having doubts about the paints durability which to me just reinforces the fact that this is not the bike for you.

I would not let the shop dodge the bullet by having you accept the wrong bike and not having to go through the motions of having it returned. Whoever built the bike should have immediately notice that this was not the color on the purchase order and contacted you long before you drove 4 hours for the wrong bike.
Old 04-18-18, 08:54 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Liked 1,413 Times in 904 Posts
Celeste is Bianchi's signature color.

Not getting is like getting the yellow sponge curlers and not the pink.

Or getting Cheeri-xs instead of Cheerios.

Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 04-18-18, 09:09 PM
glowrocks

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Current status: Erik's made me an offer to see if they can get a 2018 Celeste (which they don't have in stock, but hopefully can get from a Bianchi warehouse).

I told them yes, please try to acquire said bike and let me know how soon you can get it to the store.

As I told them, I ordered Celeste on purpose.
Old 04-18-18, 09:38 PM
softreset

Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
We'll get a 3rd thread when the correct bike comes in, right?

You ordered color X, you got color Y. Honestly, I wouldn't even have taken it home.

It's a nice looking bike, though.
Old 04-18-18, 09:44 PM
glowrocks

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by softreset
You ordered color X, you got color Y. Honestly, I wouldn't even have taken it home.
If I wasn't tired and frustrated after the 4 hour drive to pick it up, I might have not taken it home.

But the offer to ride the bike, if not the color, I wanted, for 30 days did work as a consolation prize for the hassle.

I've had two great rides on it already, and a much longer ride planned for tomorrow, so at least I get to enjoy this bike, pending receipt of the right bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.