Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What taught you the most about bicycle mechanics?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-18, 11:06 AM
SeraphimF

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The reason I'm asking the above question is that I love riding bicycles but can't do too much mechanical work on them. I can do simple things involving tires and handlebars but couldn't change brakes or shifters or a derailleur or anything involving ball bearings. I'd like to be able to get to that point, as I'm in the process of overhauling two bikes I have and it would save me a lot of money on labor and also, hopefully, be quite fun. Now that I have two bikes it feels more freeing because I don't have to work on one "urgently" since I can ride the other. One is just for fun road riding, the other for utility, and I may get another ice-on-the-road exclusive with year round studded tires since I'm soon moving far upstate NY and plan to live as car free as possible, and they have snow on the ground for a large part of the year.

My thought is that taking apart a bike and putting it back together, bit by bit, would be good, but I won't have anyone teaching me. There are plentiful resources on the web, of course, but its still a bit complex alone.

Is there a part of a bicycle or a component system that is best to start with? I.e. the headset or drivetrain or shifting mechanism? I'm switching one of my bikes from grip shifters to friction thumb shifters and want to start there.

Basically, any information regarding the best way to go about this is useful, including even specific tools or projects or whatever, whether or not they are specific to my situation.
Old 05-10-18, 11:24 AM
tonyfourdogs

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail (1991)

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't know if there's a best place to start, but changing brake levers/ shifters is as good as any. Maybe changing a chain too. There are tons of brilliant tutorials on youtube (I find RJ The Bike Guy's videos are really easy to follow) so I'd just learn each stage as you reach it. Taking bikes apart and rebuilding them is a lot of fun, and the only reliable way to learn is by doing. You'll get it wrong a few times at the start but that's ok. Once you get those rookie mistakes out of the way you'll gain confidence quickly.

And if you're working on old bikes, chances are you'll find plenty to challenge you for some time to come with seized/ rusted parts and so on. Just grab a wrench and get started, you'll soon get the hang of it.
Old 05-10-18, 11:37 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 725 Posts
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/ I find videos to be spotty, of widely varying quality, from great (many of those from members of this forum) to dismal.
Old 05-10-18, 12:04 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Sheldon Brown is very good and I also like the Part Tool website. https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
Old 05-10-18, 12:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Building up a bike from the frame. Sheldon (RIP) was a member of BF and would answer even the dumbest question.
Old 05-10-18, 12:18 PM
ign1te 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
"RJ the bike guy" on youtube has a ton of videos on reparing bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/user/shyflirt1
Old 05-10-18, 12:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Books
Old 05-10-18, 12:32 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 1,705 Times in 974 Posts
Just hop right in. Pay attention to how you took a thing apart & reverse the process when reassembling. For the most part remember to grease all bolt threads and use a torque wrench where practicle. A cheap torque wrench, although often not necessary, is $20 at Harbor Freight and for the most part keeps you from egregious mistakes and perhaps more importantly, offers piece of mind. Of course some here will scoff at the idea of using a torque wrench at all, citing "mechanics feel." Others will laugh at any so-called "precision" tool that doesn't require a second mortgage to pay for. Whatever.

Jump right in, the water's fine. Buy a tool here & there when the need arises, & don't be afraid to go to a shop for a bail-out once in a while. I still don't build wheels, & on ocassion $10 or $15 to pull a crown race or whatever is well worth the savings over usual shop prices.

Oh...and a head-lamp. You'll wonder how you ever got along without one.
Old 05-10-18, 12:37 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Trial and error, Google, YouTube in that order. But, the best thing would be to find someone local to help you out and show you the tricks. Personally, tinkering on bikes and cars when I was a kid helped me learn how to use tools properly, and learning the newer systems/tech using the web fills in the gaps. If you happen to be in the SF Bay Area I would be happy to help you out.

One piece of advanced advice: always use a soft touch when working on bicycles. Ham-fisting wrenches and fasteners on a bike is a recipe for total frustration.
Old 05-10-18, 01:06 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 252 Posts
I think that the key thing is to try some operation, and to give yourself the luxury of time and to allow for the possibility of failure in the short term. Make up your mind that you're going to do it, eventually. And stick with the task til you succeed. But pick a task, and try something.

If you can find a cheap bike on Craigs list that you can resurrect that might be very good experience.

Keep in mind that experience is mistakes repeated many times until you don't make that same mistake anymore. So be prepared to strip bolts and break stuff. If you buy replacement parts at a local LBS, they may be able to coach you if you ask for help.

It is probably not a good idea to buy a new CF bike with full Dura Ace or Record components, and challenge yourself to a field replacement of your handlebars using nothing but a multi-tool when you're 50 miles from home and 20 miles from the closest inhabited building. Start wiht small stakes (the cheap CL bike) and work where your comfortable and when you're not under time pressure.

BTW. it may be useful if you have a vise to buy some 6mm or 8mm bolts and put then in the vice and intentionally strip them, so that you have some sense of how much torque they can handle. Even better if you can buy or borrow a torque wrench so that you can see that the actual torque values needed to strip those bolts. This, better than learning about torque by stripping a titanium bolt in your stem, leaving a broken off stud.
Old 05-10-18, 01:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18451 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 3,387 Posts
I started working on bikes as a kid. A bit with dad's help, quite a bit on my own. They are pretty simple. Oh, and that was before YouTube

So, as @base2 mentions, just dive in. You may make a few mistakes (best not to make the mistakes on multi-thousand dollar bikes/components).

I figure that there is nothing that I can break that I can't fix. Life is a learning experience.
Old 05-10-18, 01:11 PM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Echoing others here, RJ the Bike Guy on YouTube is probably best.

Much as I like GCN and Park Tool, they have super clean workshops, often show modern bike components, and no clever solutions besides paying $25 on up for specialty tools. If you don't understand some of the bike theory, it can be tough to understand what's happening--and then it's just kinda blindly following instructions--which sometimes doesn't help you fix your bike.

But RJ covers a lot of grittier, older, more obscure, less staged repairs/maintenance. And for some jobs, he has homebrew tools, which he shows you how to make and use. Like, I needed to cold set the rear dropouts on a vintage frame--RJ has a tool for that to help accomplish in a reasonably controlled fashion--it cost a trip to the hardware store and about $5 in metal rod, nuts and washers.
Old 05-10-18, 01:12 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5915 Post(s)
Liked 3,568 Times in 2,121 Posts
I second the suggestion of buying an older bike on Craigslist, taking it apart and putting it back together. That will teach you a lot of basic stuff and at a low cost since you can sell the bike for what you paid for (and perhaps a profit). I'd suggest buying an older, less expensive bike as they tend to be more forgiving.
Old 05-10-18, 02:01 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Working on cars, mini bikes, go-karts, lawn mowers and other machines when I was a kid and a teen taught me how to work on bikes.

Once basic mechanical skills are learned they are easily transferable from one type of equipment to another, for the most part. A few specific techniques have to be learned for bikes but it wasn't a big deal. Picked those up from the interwebz.

-Tim-
Old 05-10-18, 02:44 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 241 Posts
Truthful answer for me is I learned the most from working professionally full time, followed by attending the United Bike Institute. But before either of those, I was a pretty good home mechanic. Some good things for learning:
-When I started working on my own bike, I bought Bicycling's Guide to Bicycle Maintenence & Repair (which is a decent book), but more importantly, I decided to follow their recommended maintenance intervals religiously, which led to a lot of chain cleaning and hub overhauling etc. I'm actually less diligent now but it was good practice. The takeaway is that trying to track maintenance intervals and performing their service, and by doing repairs on an as-needed basis, is kind of nice because it will acquaint you with a lot of things, reinforce the most common tasks, and will require smaller chunks of time invested than comprehensively overhauling bikes.
-Favorite resources are/were Sheldon Brown, Park Tools, and don't forget the actual official service manuals that most brands have freely available to the public (for example, Shimano's are at si.shimano.com).
-I volunteered at a bicycle cooperative which improved my diagnostic skills as well as acquainting me with a wider range of bikes. This was also a lot of social skills development.

But yeah, I'd mostly recommend learning recommended service intervals for your own bikes, diagnosing any problems you perceive with your own bikes, and performing service as needed. When you feel like you have a good overall sense, then perhaps something like a comprehensive overhaul of a bike could fill in some of the gaps.
Old 05-10-18, 02:48 PM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not having the right tools on hand sure made me creative

its a learning process, pull it apart and see if you can get it back in one piece, if not, you can "sheldon brown it"!

being the only right handed male in my street also helps, everyone shows up here for a quick fix
Old 05-10-18, 02:51 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts
Sheldon Brown. Very thorough and easy to read. He also got me curious in fixed gear bikes. After a point, forming a relationship with your local bike mechanic can really become a useful resource for work-arounds and other tips. All the mechanics I know are more than happy to dispense information if asked.
Old 05-10-18, 03:12 PM
JohnnyCyclist
Poseur Extraordinaire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some bike shops offer free mechanic classes.
Old 05-10-18, 04:20 PM
Ryderr

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The situation at hand is what teaches me the most…..usually under duress. Thankfully there are sites like this….and Youtube…..to help. I am new here and I don’t have my 10 posts yet. When I do I will have some questions for all of you.
Old 05-10-18, 04:48 PM
SeraphimF

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not going to respond to each post individually, but these are all very helpful responses. Thanks everyone! (and everyone to come).
Old 05-10-18, 04:53 PM
aggiegrads

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 180 Posts
Where do you live?

Another good way is to volunteer at with an org that builds (or rebuilds) bikes for kids.

My son learned a ton at the Community Cycling Center in Portland volunteering to rebuild bikes for their Holiday Bike Drive. He is a certified volunteer, and at 14 can strip a bike down to ball bearings and completely rebuild. He can also build wheels.
Old 05-10-18, 05:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,499 Posts
A lot of people learned a large part of what they know right here on bikeforums. They try stuff and then get into trouble, and we walk them out of trouble. So that is an option for you, too.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-10-18, 05:41 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
My dad I guess. I would tighten and replace spokes as a kid and change around seats and handlebars and stuff. Bicycles are really easy though, pretty much anyone can do them. Things have changed a little since then but probably for the easier easier not harder. The biggest worry seems to be incompatible parts ie you change your cassette now you need to change your chain and derailleur, things like that.
Old 05-10-18, 05:51 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
After wrenching on my British cars for the last 40yrs, bicycles are quite simple.
Tim
Old 05-10-18, 06:11 PM
superstring

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
John Barnett's bike mechanic's course. Can't say enough good things about this course.

https://www.bbinstitute.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.