Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Knit shoes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-18, 06:31 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Knit shoes?

was looking at shoes and came across some Giro Republic R Knit shoes. Then I read a review and I guess it's the new thing in the running world? Anyone have these kinds of shoes?

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...cycling-shoes/

Old 05-27-18, 07:23 AM
Cross Creek

Bikes: 2013 Rivendell Sam, 1996 Bianchi Milano, 1994 Trek 820

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I guess it makes some kind of hipster sense to go from sock-free runners to knit runners, lol... Actually, i've seen the ads, and am also interested in what early adopters have to say about them.
Old 05-27-18, 07:36 AM
Lazyass

I'm mainly interested in the ventilation. I deal with humidity from hell where I live.
Old 05-27-18, 09:31 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
.... rather than sandals? maybe chainmail ?

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-19-20 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-27-18, 01:30 PM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
.... rather than sandals?
No way. Its almost sandals season. Yay. Let my little piggies breathe.
Old 05-27-18, 01:36 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I wouldn't be caught dead in those.
Jon
Old 05-27-18, 01:53 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Looks like lots of crevices for dirt and sand to get trapped into. And stop the venitlation.
I wouldn't be using them off road. Supposedly the whole knit surface ventilates. I don't expect anyone to have these, but if knit running shoes are happening them maybe some had tried those.

And I'm not interested in opinions about looks. When it's 95 degrees and 90% humidity I couldn't care less about appearance.
Old 05-27-18, 02:17 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Shoelaces on a "cycling" shoe?
It's not 1968 anymore.

-Bandera
Old 05-27-18, 04:39 PM
ddub

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have the Empire knit model. I quite like them so far. Haven't had to use laces for years but they really aren't an issue. I sweat heavily so any extra ventilation is a plus. Couple of 50-60 mi rides and never even noticed them so I believe that is a positive sign. Hipster? Not a my age but I'm not worried. Maybe the hipsters will talk to me.
Old 05-27-18, 05:03 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I question the design of the gravel version.

High top shoes are not going to work in hot, deep south summers.

A knit fabric is going to get clogged with dust and/or mud. If they are not washable, or able to be rinsed like a leather or other hard shell material then they are a non-starter.

-Tim-
Old 05-27-18, 05:08 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
It's not 1968 anymore.

-Bandera
I've got a pair of Shimano shoes that has laces. But you don't tie them, there is a little cinch clip/slide thing, and then like the ones shown, there is an elastic band to tuck it in. They look like sneakers and are very comfortable. But I wear a more traditional road-looking shoe for 80% of my riding.
Old 05-27-18, 05:15 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by ddub
I have the Empire knit model. I quite like them so far. Haven't had to use laces for years but they really aren't an issue. I sweat heavily so any extra ventilation is a plus. Couple of 50-60 mi rides and never even noticed them so I believe that is a positive sign. Hipster? Not a my age but I'm not worried. Maybe the hipsters will talk to me.
Thanks. I'm looking at the Republic model. I have some leather Republic LX's and they're great but don't get much airflow.
Old 05-27-18, 05:21 PM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by WNCGoater
I've got a pair of Shimano shoes that has laces. But you don't tie them, there is a little cinch clip/slide thing, and then like the ones shown, there is an elastic band to tuck it in. They look like sneakers and are very comfortable. But I wear a more traditional road-looking shoe for 80% of my riding.
I'm sure that little "little cinch clip/slide thing" is totally reliable and laces would never get caught and jammed-up on the chain-ring as certainly did happen in old fashioned laces days.
Nothing like faux retro-style, although a mesh upper that is actually well designed for cycling shoe use w/ Boa fasteners: Sure.

-Bandera
Old 05-27-18, 05:28 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4763 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 1,011 Posts
I'm sure that little "little cinch clip/slide thing" is totally reliable and laces would never get caught and jammed-up on the chain-ring as certainly did happen in old fashioned laces days.
Nothing like faux retro-style, although a mesh upper that is actually well designed for cycling shoe use w/ Boa fasteners: Sure.

-Bandera
You should try clipless pedals. Then your feet and laces wouldn't be sliding and jumping anywhere close to the chainrings.
Old 05-27-18, 05:33 PM
Lazyass

-Bandera
I'm not sure why you're participating in this thread. Nobody asked for your opinion on laces. Which happen to be re-entering the pro peloton. It's irrelevant to the topic.

-Lazyass
Old 05-27-18, 05:41 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Interesting concept. The breath-ability aspect is appealing. I ride early as the sun is coming up, 90% + humidity is common.
Old 05-27-18, 05:44 PM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by Lazyass
I'm not sure why you're participating in this thread. Nobody asked for your opinion on laces. Which happen to be re-entering the pro peloton. It's irrelevant to the topic.

-Lazyass
If you post about a shoe expect comments about design elements both negative and positive of said shoe to result.
""Irrelevant"? It's a shoe with laces.

-Bandera
Old 05-27-18, 06:00 PM
igorek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Knit shoes or sneakers are fantastic, very breathable and very light, perfect for the summers.
Old 05-27-18, 06:04 PM
Lazyass

If you post about a shoe expect comments about design elements both negative and positive of said shoe to result.
""Irrelevant"? It's a shoe with laces.

-Bandera
I started the thread and specifically asked about the material of the shoe, not the retention system. Or the looks. The knit material. That's it. I've had cycling shoes with laces for 31 years. There's nothing about them you can educate me on.
Old 05-27-18, 11:19 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I'm wondering if the knit material would be much different than the breathable mesh stuff that a lot of sport shoes are made with now. Probably more flexible.
Old 05-28-18, 12:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Looks good to me. If they're stiff enough to minimize stretching when pulling up, and can resist coming apart from the soles.

I have no problem with laces. In fact I'd prefer them unless the alternatives offer at least four straps or closures rather than the usual three. I have really weird and picky feet -- very narrow with high arches, and too much pressure on the wrong part of the top of my feet can cut off circulation to my toes.

With my laced low top hiking shoes I have an elaborate lacing system that enables me to individually cinch down or loosen specific places to suit myself. It's a PITA to set up at first but works really well once it's done. Gives me just the right amount of snugness where it's needed without unnecessary tightness where it can interfere with circulation or cause pressure sores.

With my Scott Road Pro clipless shoes and three straps I'm often fiddling with strap tension while riding. I could avoid that with an additional strap or laces.
Old 05-28-18, 07:43 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by igorek
Knit shoes or sneakers are fantastic, very breathable and very light, perfect for the summers.
Agreed! I have a set of knit laced Adidas, which are comfortable, cool and have worn like iron. Laces are original, and tangling into the chain is strictly a matter of lacing technique, Bandera.

There’s also a solid leather version that is not bad for cooler weather.
Old 05-28-18, 08:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18526 Post(s)
Liked 15,872 Times in 7,452 Posts
It's not 1968 anymore.

-Bandera
The Carnac LeMond model had laces and were produced at least in as late as the 90s. IIRC, he insisted that they be made with laces in return for the use of his name. They also had a non-laces closure system that covered the laces. The combination allowed one to fine tune the fit.

My PI touring shoes have laces. Wouldn't have it any other way.

What's old is new again:

High Performance Giro Cycling Shoes for Road & Dirt
Old 05-28-18, 08:56 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I wouldn't be using them off road. Supposedly the whole knit surface ventilates. I don't expect anyone to have these, but if knit running shoes are happening them maybe some had tried those.

And I'm not interested in opinions about looks. When it's 95 degrees and 90% humidity I couldn't care less about appearance.
Where are you in NC? I'm from the west coast and about 20 years ago I spent a week vacationing on Emerald Isle. I can't see how you could ride a bike in that humidity. I have traveled somewhat extensively, and what I experienced in NC was far more brutal than anywhere else I've ever been. Just crushing, really. I love hot weather, but I like dry desert heat.

I can't say anything about those particular shoes, but I've had boating shoes that had similar uppers. The ventilation benefits were very real, and significant at high temps.

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 05-28-18 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-28-18, 09:20 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Where are you in NC? I'm from the west coast and about 20 years ago I spent a week vacationing on Emerald Isle. I can't see how you could ride a bike in that humidity. I have traveled somewhat extensively, and what I experienced in NC was far more brutal than anywhere else I've ever been. Just crushing, really. I love hot weather, but I like dry desert heat.

I can't say anything about those particular shoes, but I've had boating shoes that had similar uppers. The ventilation benefits were very real, and significant at high temps.
I'm in what's called the Sandhills, about 80 miles east of Charlotte right on the SC border. The humidity is a killer, your sunglasses fog up when you go outside at sunrise. But during the summer I ride in the mornings when the humidity is max because of the cooler temps.

I lived in El Paso and I also like the dry heat. But the roads there had so much junk on them from the winds blowing stuff in from the desert that I would get a puncture about every ride. My last flat here was four years ago and I ride almost everyday.