Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

64cm or above - Road/Gravel Bike

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-18, 10:49 AM
hexron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for a lightweight 64 or 66cm bike that can accept something like a 35c tire for gravel but still be fast enough for 18/19mph group rides. Is there any option other than Soma and Gunnar?
Old 06-01-18, 11:14 AM
CliffordK

Liked 4,571 Times in 3,395 Posts
I'd scour Craigslist, and maybe E-Bay. Tall vintage bikes regularly show up, especially if you're near a larger metro area (or a couple of them).

FAT tires might be a problem, but you might be OK with a 27" to 700c, or a 700c to 650b conversion.

You could, of course, strip it to a bare frame and rebuild to your own specs.
Old 06-01-18, 12:57 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Liked 930 Times in 281 Posts
Some more + check here XXL Gravel Touring bike list with Reach and Stack measurements - The Riding Gravel Forum

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/di...e-dsw/p/119017

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road/in...x-8-0-pro-race
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 06-01-18, 03:49 PM
hexron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh good God - that Inflite is now my dream bike.
Old 06-01-18, 04:02 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Those were pretty popular on the Canyon Belgian Waffle ride I did in April, 133miles total, with 46 on dirt and 11k vertical climbing.

The SRAM/Mavic neutral support cars had those to give to riders that broke their bikes while on course. One guy I rode with for a bit was on one with Zipp 404s and Sram Etap Reds. Nothing like demoing a 10K rig in the middle of a race/ride

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/04/phot...n-waffle-ride/
Old 06-01-18, 09:12 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I have to say — the AL version looks tempting. LETS BUY ANOTHER BIKE before I have the first. I just don’t want 1x11 here.
Old 06-01-18, 10:27 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a Black Mountain Monstercross built up as an allroad bike. I bought it as an experiment (it was cheap) but it is my favorite frameset ever. All my previous framesets were full custom, but the BM is super smooth riding and really lively, and it fits! Unlike Surley and most other production steel bikes these days, this one uses thinner gage steel. 28mm TT, 32mm DT 9-6-9 in the main triangle on the 64cm. They also have a road version (smaller tires and caliper brakes).
Black Mountain Monstercross
Old 06-01-18, 10:39 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a Black Mountain Monstercross built up as an allroad bike. I bought it as an experiment (it was cheap) but it is my favorite frameset ever. All my previous framesets were full custom, but the BM is super smooth riding and really lively, and it fits! Unlike Surley and most other production steel bikes these days, this one uses thinner gage steel. 28mm TT, 32mm DT 9-6-9 in the main triangle on the 64cm. They also have a road version (smaller tires and caliper brakes).
Old 06-02-18, 12:10 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Originally Posted by expatbrit
I have to say — the AL version looks tempting. LETS BUY ANOTHER BIKE before I have the first. I just don’t want 1x11 here.
I'm about 20mins away from the Canyon Showroom here in San Diego.....nice stuff in there!!

Old 06-02-18, 02:22 PM
hexron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
those were pretty popular on the canyon belgian waffle ride i did in april, 133miles total, with 46 on dirt and 11k vertical climbing.

The sram/mavic neutral support cars had those to give to riders that broke their bikes while on course. One guy i rode with for a bit was on one with zipp 404s and sram etap reds. Nothing like demoing a 10k rig in the middle of a race/ride

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/04/phot...n-waffle-ride/
nice
Old 06-02-18, 02:23 PM
hexron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by catgita
Rockin - thanks for throwing Black Mountain out there - I always seem to forget they make bigger cross bikes.
Old 06-04-18, 03:33 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
I'm about 20mins away from the Canyon Showroom here in San Diego.....nice stuff in there!!

I'd be in so much trouble if I went there. Lucky work rarely takes me to SoCal these days, though it was a LOT for a while.
Old 06-05-18, 09:46 AM
laxpatrick

Bikes: Canyon, Gunnar, Speshes mtb and phat

Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
Canyon Endurace goes to 33 (specified). Love my Endurace (64 cm, nice stack and reach for the tall guys).

LAX
Old 06-05-18, 11:11 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

[MENTION=355609]expatbrit[/MENTION] my daughter LOVED the pink canyon in that showroom, and asked me if I can get that for her when she's bigger. She's only 5/ I got a nice pic of her standing next to it with the biggest cheesy grin a kid can make
Old 06-06-18, 10:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 7,746 Times in 4,306 Posts
Originally Posted by hexron
Rockin - thanks for throwing Black Mountain out there - I always seem to forget they make bigger cross bikes.
i have a 65cm gen 3 monstercross frame and will always give it a mention or a +1 in these sort of threads.
It can easily handle that tire size and its still responsive and fun on pavement.

the caliper brake road bike now comes in a larger size too. Take a look at the stack and reach for thst frame since those numbers are better for comparing than a simple seat tube measurement. It can clear 33mm tires.
Old 06-07-18, 11:40 AM
Kobe 

Liked 359 Times in 188 Posts
I have never averaged 18-19 on any bike, but on a flat paved trail I can maintain 18 on my 65cm Black Mountain MC. I always run Bruce Gordon 43c tires that have some knobs, so that may slow me down some. So another shout out for Black Mountain Cycles, they're just great bikes and relatively cheap for us taller riders.