Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Another high gear crank/chain vibration thread

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 09:27 AM
zammykoo

Bikes: Trek 510, Dahon Classic III, Specialized Tricross, Raleigh Technium 460

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

I'm experiencing crank/chain vibration on a recent used bike purchase and wanted to see if anyone can point me in the right direction. It's a 9-speed Specialized Tricross and I only feel it in the last 2 cogs. The highest cog does it the most.

I've swapped out the chain for a new Shimano one but that didn't make a difference. Then I swapped out the cassette for one in my spare parts bin from the original HG50 to HG70, and that helped a bit. The vibration is still there but probably half as noticeable. Some say that this is just how it is and that I should be riding at the correct speed to be in those gears, but I wonder if there is anything else that I could look at.

I have not taken a look at the bottom bracket bearings because I don't have the lock ring tool (FSA mega exo), but the cranks spin smoothly on lower gears. I will probably replace the bearings soon anyway once I can.

Any other thoughts? Thanks!
Old 07-10-18, 02:47 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
That's most likely how it is, and yes you should be riding the proper gears for your speed. If you want to know more about the vibration, and some possible way to reduce it, just Google chordal action.
Old 07-10-18, 04:45 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Check your chainline

Chordal action can be increased/decreased by chainline. Putting a spacer in the BB, bringing the chainline a bit outwards helped to reduce the vibration in my bike, though not completely eliminate it.
Old 07-10-18, 08:41 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 3,996 Times in 2,376 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Chordal action can be increased/decreased by chainline. Putting a spacer in the BB, bringing the chainline a bit outwards helped to reduce the vibration in my bike, though not completely eliminate it.
Not sure this is true since chordal action is an issue of tooth count and power pulses. How the chain feeds off the cog isn't an aspect of chordal action. But really poor chain angle will induce some amount of roughness rhythmic with each tooth/link release. Andy
Old 07-10-18, 11:43 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Liked 725 Times in 515 Posts
2.2.1 Chordal Action
Old 07-11-18, 02:53 PM
zammykoo

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Interesting. I haven't checked my chain line since everything on the bike was original. I assumed that it was set up how the manufacturer intended.

It didn't seem like anything has been modified before I purchased it, but I guess we can never be too sure. I'll take a closer look and take measurements.
Old 07-11-18, 05:16 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 3,195 Times in 2,030 Posts
Does it only do it while pedaling?
Old 07-11-18, 06:30 PM
zammykoo

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Does it only do it while pedaling?
Yes, only while I put some muscle on the pedals in higher gears. On lower gears it seems perfect.
Old 07-11-18, 06:40 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by zammykoo
Interesting. I haven't checked my chain line since everything on the bike was original. I assumed that it was set up how the manufacturer intended.

It didn't seem like anything has been modified before I purchased it, but I guess we can never be too sure. I'll take a closer look and take measurements.
it may not be chordal action at all, but rather poor chainline.
Old 07-12-18, 01:38 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 3,195 Times in 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by zammykoo
Yes, only while I put some muscle on the pedals in higher gears. On lower gears it seems perfect.
more than likely the chain alignment being felt.