Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thinking about getting "good" tires.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-18, 06:47 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts

I currently ride on Gatorskins, which I'm told don't have great grip and feel dead. I enjoy never having to worry about running over debris and getting many miles out of them. But it's more fun to rail down mountains. I've currently got my eye on the Pirelli P Zeros. Does anyone here have long term experience with them? How are they with flats and tread wear? How much nicer are they than something like the Gatorskins?
Old 07-16-18, 07:41 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Gatorksins are one of the slowest tires imaginable. Nearly anything would be better than those, in my opinion.

Cont GP4ks are a go-to for many people worried about performance and value as they're a bit of a jack of all trades tire and perform pretty well.
Old 07-16-18, 07:54 PM
clasher

Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
When I switched from schwalbe marathons to vittoria open corsa it was a revelation. There are lots of nice tires out there, try some!
Old 07-16-18, 08:13 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
What do you want in a tire? You already have great puncture resistance of course. Light weight? Compliant ride?

Why do you ride? Fitness? Group rides? Racing?

As said, GP4000’s are great all around tires. Our roads are terrible. I’ve flatted once in the last season and a half. That’s about 2000 miles. They are comfortable and reasonably fast for fitness rides.
Old 07-16-18, 09:17 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by MSchott
What do you want in a tire? You already have great puncture resistance of course. Light weight? Compliant ride?

Why do you ride? Fitness? Group rides? Racing?

As said, GP4000’s are great all around tires. Our roads are terrible. I’ve flatted once in the last season and a half. That’s about 2000 miles. They are comfortable and reasonably fast for fitness rides.
I'm an aspiring (aka very slow) cat 5 racer who does tight/fast (for me) group rides in the mountains every week. I also ride very aggressively downhill and try to lean as hard as possible. Though I never feel comfortable leaning much with my current setup even at 85psi (135 + 20lbs). I chalked this up to my inexperience but I figured since it matters so much for cars maybe better rubber would help.
Old 07-17-18, 05:19 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smashndash
I'm an aspiring (aka very slow) cat 5 racer who does tight/fast (for me) group rides in the mountains every week. I also ride very aggressively downhill and try to lean as hard as possible. Though I never feel comfortable leaning much with my current setup even at 85psi (135 + 20lbs). I chalked this up to my inexperience but I figured since it matters so much for cars maybe better rubber would help.
You can definitely get something more supple and with better grip. Nothing fancy, but I just put on some Veloflex Master 25 (general purpose tires with high thread count) and am very pleased - very supple, and excellent grip.
Old 07-17-18, 05:27 AM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
GP 4000s are very much made to lean hard into corners, soft rubber with a supple casing, that's what those weird treads on the sides of the tire are for. They have way more "lean" that I can effectively use, but it's nice to know it's there, for emergencies.

How did you end up with Gatorskins? Those are definitely not racing tires.

Last edited by Colnago Mixte; 07-17-18 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-17-18, 05:59 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
$82.00 a set off Amazon...happy.

Old 07-17-18, 06:07 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Liked 812 Times in 472 Posts
Give a pair of Panaracer Gravelking Slicks (not the SKs) a spin. Fun, fast tires. Low rolling resistance, supple, flat protection, light(er), inexpensive, great selection of sizes...

Bikesmiths (Murray Ave, Milwaukee) on ebay(the_bikesmiths) or their own website has great prices. I have a half-dozen pairs of various type from them.

Old 07-17-18, 07:38 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
GP 4000s are very much made to lean hard into corners, soft rubber with a supple casing, that's what those weird treads on the sides of the tire are for.
Those treads are for people that won't buy tires without seeing treads on them.
Old 07-17-18, 08:48 AM
igosolo

Bikes: '17 Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod, '11 Cannondale Supersix, '13 Cannondale CAADX Disc, '13 Trek Superfly, '07 Cannondale System Six

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For 10 years I rode 23mm Bontrager Hard Case tires, wire bead as I was stuck in the mindset that I needed a heavy and slow tire like this to prevent flats. I just got a set of 25 mm Schwalbe One tires (not the Pro version) on my new bike and after reading great things about them decided to keep them on there for a while I am blown away by the performance difference and so far no flats in several hundred miles and they look brand new. I only got 1500-2000 miles on my rear Bontragers and about 3000 on the fronts. The other thing I noticed is that with the Bontragers I always got little stones and debris lodged in the tire that I had to pick out daily (no flats though). The Scwalbes I have yet to pick out a single chunk of anything.
Old 07-17-18, 09:21 AM
redlude97

Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Life's too short to ride ****ty tires, especially gatorskins. If you need something with more protection than the gp4000s, then go to the gp4season or micheline pro4
Old 07-17-18, 09:37 AM
PaulRivers

Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Gatorksins are one of the slowest tires imaginable. Nearly anything would be better than those, in my opinion.

Cont GP4ks are a go-to for many people worried about performance and value as they're a bit of a jack of all trades tire and perform pretty well.
gp4000
+ great grip (grip reduces in the wet with all tires but gp4000's are also some of the best for wet conditions)
+ great speed
+ good flat protection
- (drawback) slightly disconnected-from-the-road ride, not worse than the gatorskins but not necessarily an improvement
Old 07-17-18, 09:40 AM
smashndash

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
- (drawback) slightly disconnected-from-the-road ride, not worse than the gatorskins but not necessarily an improvement
This is exactly why I wanted to try the Pirellis. They seem to be the first tire that cares about things like road feel and handling, which are pretty important to me. I was hoping someone here would have an opinion as to how well they live up to those promises. But I'm definitely convinced that I should at least try a better tire while it still matters.
Old 07-17-18, 09:41 AM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Life's too short to ride ****ty tires, especially gatorskins. If you need something with more protection than the gp4000s, then go to the gp4season or micheline pro4
+ 1 on the GP 4 seasons. The GPs/GP4k's are the worst tire I've ever ridden in wet conditions. If you like slipping and crashing hard, put those on your bike, and the sidewalls are as thin as paper.
Old 07-17-18, 09:46 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by motosonic
+ 1 on the GP 4 seasons. The GPs/GP4k's are the worst tire I've ever ridden in wet conditions. If you like slipping and crashing hard, put those on your bike, and the sidewalls are as thin as paper.
obviously you've never ridden gatorskins in the wet then, they are like riding on ice skates. I don't find the gp4000s to be much different than the gp4season in wet warm weather and I have thousands of miles on but, and it's still the #1 tire I see at wet crits in the PNW and most of those guys can still corner faster than my nerves allow in those conditions. I have gone down in the wet using gp4000s but I blame bad line choice rather than the tire
Old 07-17-18, 12:34 PM
rubiksoval

gp4000
+- (drawback) slightly disconnected-from-the-road ride, not worse than the gatorskins but not necessarily an improvement
I genuinely have no idea what this means.

Disconnected from the road ride? What, through the tires, tubes, wheels, frame, stem, handlebars, tape, and gloves?
Old 07-17-18, 12:36 PM
rubiksoval

I raced Elite Crit Nats and the Sunny King PRT crit in the wet wtih GP4ks. Grip for days. We were bombing corners.

Done a number of other crits in the rain with GP4Ks, too. Excellent in the wet.
Old 07-17-18, 12:51 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Those treads are for people that won't buy tires without seeing treads on them.
And disrupting laminar airflow by bouncing moonlight off a weather balloon into swamp gas.
Old 07-17-18, 01:05 PM
PaulRivers

This is exactly why I wanted to try the Pirellis. They seem to be the first tire that cares about things like road feel and handling, which are pretty important to me. I was hoping someone here would have an opinion as to how well they live up to those promises. But I'm definitely convinced that I should at least try a better tire while it still matters.
Yeah, sorry I don't have an opinion on the Pirelis. I bought a pair of "Specialized Roubaix Pro 25/28" tires for my bike. I've only taken them on one ride so far. For road feel they're great, far better road feel compared to the gp4000's. But I don't know on the other points. Most likely the speed optimized gp4000's are probably a tiny hair faster. Reviews said the specialized tires main drawback is they don't last as long, but I bought them during a sale and they cost me half as much so not a huge deal.
Old 07-17-18, 01:09 PM
PaulRivers

It really sounds like you're either mixed up about which tire we're talking about, or you got a dud/imitation tire instead or something. I've ridden the gp4000's in the rain and they are pretty good. Sounds like some other posters rode them in more extreme riding conditions than I have. They were definitely a big step up in the rain compared to the tires my expensive road bike came with (which I had gone down in the rain at low speed with).
Old 07-17-18, 01:20 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
When you guys are ready to upgrade your GPsomethings then give a pair of Vittoria Rubino G+ Speed a try.

-Tim-
Old 07-17-18, 01:22 PM
smashndash

Yeah, sorry I don't have an opinion on the Pirelis. I bought a pair of "Specialized Roubaix Pro 25/28" tires for my bike. I've only taken them on one ride so far. For road feel they're great, far better road feel compared to the gp4000's. But I don't know on the other points. Most likely the speed optimized gp4000's are probably a tiny hair faster. Reviews said the specialized tires main drawback is they don't last as long, but I bought them during a sale and they cost me half as much so not a huge deal.
I actually do have a pair of Specialized Turbo Pros that came with my bike. I haven't put many miles on those because I quickly replaced them with Gators after getting 2 flats in 2 days (though I suspect both may have been pinch flats...). I can probably give those another shot before splurging on the pirellis. Does anyone have any idea how much of the "good tire" experience I'm getting with the turbo pros? I was under the impression that they were mediocre tires that just had a sticky and fast wearing compound.
Old 07-17-18, 01:39 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by TimothyH
When you guys are ready to upgrade your GPsomethings then give a pair of Vittoria Rubino G+ Speed a try.

-Tim-
Those are the tires that come on the new SystemSix right? I was curious about those but apparently they lack any sort of puncture protection and don't roll faster than a Pirelli or GP. The step down from there would be the Rubino Pro not Speed, which seem heavier and slower than the aforementioned.

Edit:
Though the idea of a triple compound does intrigue me. Hm.

Last edited by smashndash; 07-17-18 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-17-18, 02:29 PM
redlude97

I actually do have a pair of Specialized Turbo Pros that came with my bike. I haven't put many miles on those because I quickly replaced them with Gators after getting 2 flats in 2 days (though I suspect both may have been pinch flats...). I can probably give those another shot before splurging on the pirellis. Does anyone have any idea how much of the "good tire" experience I'm getting with the turbo pros? I was under the impression that they were mediocre tires that just had a sticky and fast wearing compound.
s-works turbos are very similar in RR and feel to the GP4000s with similar flat protection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.