Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano 105 5800, upgrade to what?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-18, 07:28 AM
Dubadai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

Got a Cannondale CAAD12 105 not too long ago, didn't know how much I would enjoy cycling, so went and bought myself som sweet wheels recently - Zipp 404 Firecrest.

Now, I was looking for the next upgrade to my bike.

I have been looking at SRAM eTap, but I'm unsure of how its gonna fit on my bike without changing other gear (want to use eTap with Shimano cassette, brakes, as well as the Cannondale Si w/ FSA rings crankset).

The alternative to eTap would be to upgrade to Ultra Di2, the newer version. Both would cost me about 1400usd. Or do you guys think its a silly update to do?

The final alternative would be to sell my CAAD12 and buy something with a better group set from the start...

What are your thoughts? eTap, Ultegra Di2, or sell bike and buy something with Ultegra or such from the start.
Old 08-07-18, 07:33 AM
noodle soup

Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
go Di2
Old 08-07-18, 07:37 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubadai
Hi everyone,

Got a Cannondale CAAD12 105 not too long ago, didn't know how much I would enjoy cycling, so went and bought myself som sweet wheels recently - Zipp 404 Firecrest.

Now, I was looking for the next upgrade to my bike.

I have been looking at SRAM eTap, but I'm unsure of how its gonna fit on my bike without changing other gear (want to use eTap with Shimano cassette, brakes, as well as the Cannondale Si w/ FSA rings crankset).

The alternative to eTap would be to upgrade to Ultra Di2, the newer version. Both would cost me about 1400usd. Or do you guys think its a silly update to do?

The final alternative would be to sell my CAAD12 and buy something with a better group set from the start...

What are your thoughts? eTap, Ultegra Di2, or sell bike and buy something with Ultegra or such from the start.
Why do you want to upgrade? 105 5800 for me is the "perfect" group, in the sense that it is reasonably priced, it shifts identically to the higher level groups from the same era (1 generation ago at this point), and it really isn't very heavy. You'd save just about 1 pound total going from 5800 to DA Di2. You can also save 1 pound by skipping a beer with dinner for a couple weeks. One of those strategies saves you money, one of them costs you over $1k.

The bike you have currently is pretty much the perfect budget race bike (minus the wheels... those are spendy), and it's definitely not holding you back in any way. You need to think carefully about what you're hoping to gain by spending all that money.
Old 08-07-18, 07:41 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Well Etap certainly won't work with your shift levers.

No matter what you "upgrade" to in the shifting department, I'm not sure asking here is gonna sway your opinion.

You'll probably save 30-200 grams "upgrading", the shifting will be remarkably the same, and you'll have spent $1400.

If you want cool gadgets, feel free to buy them, but the justification should be, "I wanted cool gadgets".
Old 08-07-18, 07:45 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Liked 644 Times in 330 Posts
Since when does upgrading a bike have to make sense?
Old 08-07-18, 07:51 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
It’s cheaper to buy a new bike with the upgrades already on in.

Old 08-07-18, 07:55 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Liked 187 Times in 123 Posts
What you have if fine unless you are just ready to part with cash you could go Dura ace but all you will lose is cash and a few grams in weight.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 08-07-18, 08:10 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Don't seel the bike. A better option would be to buy another bike with the u[graded components you want. Having more than one bike is always awesome!
Old 08-07-18, 08:23 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by brianmcg123

He already has the CAAD12 with 105, so upgrading will cost him less than purchasing a Di2 equipped bike. A Di2 conversion kit will cost about $900
Old 08-07-18, 08:24 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Liked 1,335 Times in 730 Posts
fwiw when I upgraded my Ultegra-equipped bike to eTap I was told that SRAM strongly recommends against using any other cranks/chainrings besides their own "22"-series models. Had something to do with the chainring spacing, I think.
This doesn't mean you need to get Red 22 cranks/chainrings, you can use Force 22 cranks/chainrings with eTap derailleurs...which is what I did.
Shimano cassette, chain, and brake calipers work fine with the eTap stuff.
Old 08-07-18, 08:26 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by deacon mark
What you have if fine unless you are just ready to part with cash you could go Dura ace but all you will lose is cash and a few grams in weight.
about 464 grams
Old 08-07-18, 08:35 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,700 Times in 1,949 Posts
The question is .... why do you want to upgrade?

"Just because" is a perfectly accpetable answer, but as for specific upgrades ... you would get better advice if people knew what you were after.

If all you want is to spend money on your bike .... I think you could coat it with epoxy and a blend of gold and diamond dust. Nitrogen instead of air for the tires won't cost enough to be worth it ..... maybe a custom chihuahua-skin saddle?

if you are determined to go with ETap, just do it. Call SRAM and ask abut compatibility, but i would listen to Bob Ross too ... he has more happy trees than anyone.

But if you are looking for performance upgrades .... sorry, you won't really get any faster through any kind of "upgrade" to the bike. You are pretty close to the limit of what a bike can do for you.

I'd say, save your money and hire a faster rider.
Old 08-07-18, 08:37 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
On camera forums, when someone asks what they should get next, 95% of the time the correct answer is "if you have to ask, you need to shoot more (with what you have) until your need/want becomes apparent." The same often applies to bikes.
Old 08-07-18, 08:40 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by WhyFi
On camera forums, when someone asks what they should get next, 95% of the time the correct answer is "if you have to ask, you need to shoot more (with what you have) until your need/want becomes apparent." The same often applies to bikes.
OP should get a Hasselblad and put it on a handlebar mount.
Old 08-07-18, 08:49 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Why do you want to upgrade? 105 5800 for me is the "perfect" group, in the sense that it is reasonably priced, it shifts identically to the higher level groups from the same era (1 generation ago at this point), and it really isn't very heavy. You'd save just about 1 pound total going from 5800 to DA Di2. You can also save 1 pound by skipping a beer with dinner for a couple weeks. One of those strategies saves you money, one of them costs you over $1k.

The bike you have currently is pretty much the perfect budget race bike (minus the wheels... those are spendy), and it's definitely not holding you back in any way. You need to think carefully about what you're hoping to gain by spending all that money.
This. CAAD12 105 owns the sweet spot for price and performance.
Old 08-07-18, 08:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 7,729 Times in 4,298 Posts
What is lacking in your current setup? What dont you like?

those should guide you to what you should upgrade to.
Old 08-07-18, 09:21 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123

Would it? What's the price of a used CAAD12 105 plus the price of his upgrade (let's assume he keeps his wheels and would move them to the next bike)? I'm guessing a Di2 bike is going to be far, far more expensive.

My vote is Ultegra Di2 but doesn't the electronic shifting end up weird and out of place on a bike that was built for cable shifting?
Old 08-07-18, 09:39 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

If OP wants to be different and drop money on a groupset no one else has, might as well go hydro-

https://rotorbike.com/uno-groupset/

Would require a disc-capable bike and wheels.
Old 08-07-18, 09:42 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I would upgrade saddle, tape, brake pads, tires and tubes to the best I could afford. and ride the crud out of it.

Replace derailleurs with R8000 or whatever is out by then when the 105's wear.

Maintain it scrupulously and it will give many years of great service.
Old 08-07-18, 09:49 AM
Lazyass

Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
New rider and already has $1300 carbon wheels haha. I can dig it, most of us knows about the mod bug. Some just go to extremes and it's usually the younger crowd. No mods are going to make you a stronger rider, only pain will, but if you must change the group I personally would go with Campagnolo.
Old 08-07-18, 09:53 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
New rider and already has $1300 carbon wheels haha.
It might be $1300 for the one wheel, but not both.
Old 08-07-18, 10:55 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
If OP wants to be different and drop money on a groupset no one else has, might as well go hydro-

https://rotorbike.com/uno-groupset/

Would require a disc-capable bike and wheels.
The link shows they have a groupset for rim brakes. Looks like a cool but expensive group. I first heard about it from one of the GCN vids:

Old 08-07-18, 11:17 AM
Dubadai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of different answers here, sadly it seems like the community is parted by those who get irritated when people ask for upgrade advise and those that genuinely want to help. Yes, I do understand that the bike will never be faster than I am as a rider...

I had never ridden a road bike before, got the CAAD12 due to all the great reviews, and ended up riding 750 miles in less than two months. Felt like I wanted some nicer wheels, so I got the ZIPP. Yes, they are expensive, but so are many other things in life.

Now I am looking for some advice when it comes to groupsets as I haven't used anything else but the 105.

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Don't seel the bike. A better option would be to buy another bike with the u[graded components you want. Having more than one bike is always awesome!
Haha, yes. Just gotta convince my girlfriend that I need another bike hanging in the Livingroom (aint gonna happen anytime soon...).

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
fwiw when I upgraded my Ultegra-equipped bike to eTap I was told that SRAM strongly recommends against using any other cranks/chainrings besides their own "22"-series models. Had something to do with the chainring spacing, I think.
This doesn't mean you need to get Red 22 cranks/chainrings, you can use Force 22 cranks/chainrings with eTap derailleurs...which is what I did.
Shimano cassette, chain, and brake calipers work fine with the eTap stuff.
Thanks for the information, I'll keep that in mind! Read some about the spacing as well... hence why I am leaning towards Shimano.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
The question is .... why do you want to upgrade?

"Just because" is a perfectly accpetable answer, but as for specific upgrades ... you would get better advice if people knew what you were after.

If all you want is to spend money on your bike .... I think you could coat it with epoxy and a blend of gold and diamond dust. Nitrogen instead of air for the tires won't cost enough to be worth it ..... maybe a custom chihuahua-skin saddle?

if you are determined to go with ETap, just do it. Call SRAM and ask abut compatibility, but i would listen to Bob Ross too ... he has more happy trees than anyone.

But if you are looking for performance upgrades .... sorry, you won't really get any faster through any kind of "upgrade" to the bike. You are pretty close to the limit of what a bike can do for you.

I'd say, save your money and hire a faster rider.
I get that I won't get faster with a new group set, but with that logic no one except professional racers should be using anything above 105. Apply that to everything in life and life would be horribly boring.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I do agree with that. The reason that I am asking primarily is because I haven't ridden with anything else, and therefore want some input from riders who maybe have used different groupsets.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What is lacking in your current setup? What dont you like?

those should guide you to what you should upgrade to.
There isn't anything that I don't like necessarily. I just like the thought of having faster shifting, and if that can be assisted by electronics, a nerd like me won't say no!
Old 08-07-18, 11:41 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
There isn't anything that I don't like necessarily. I just like the thought of having faster shifting, and if that can be assisted by electronics, a nerd like me won't say no!
Is it true that Ultegra Di2 shifts faster than 105? This is a measurable quantity, I just can't find any measurements on Google.
Old 08-07-18, 11:43 AM
noodle soup

I get that I won't get faster with a new group set, but with that logic no one except professional racers should be using anything above 105. Apply that to everything in life and life would be horribly boring.
Some people will always argue that Di2 is unnecessary, but If you want it(and the money isn't a big issue), why not get what you want? Di2 works great, and you won't need a full groupset for the upgrade.

This about all you'll need https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano...it-112246.html

If you think you might want to use a huge cassette, the GS derailleur is the one you want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.