Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin Varia Radar

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 03:11 PM
rick47601

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garmin Varia Radar

I looking at getting Garmin rear radar to link to my 520 plus on my country bike rides . There are 2 on the market
One for 129.00 at Clever Training
Garmin Varia 129.00
the other
Garmin Varia RTL510

Im not sure if any differnce in the 2 units expect looks and size ,
Should I get the cheaper unit ?
Thanks
Rick
Rick
Old 09-02-18, 08:39 AM
JerryZ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have had the 1st model for a couple seasons; it just gives another level of awareness to traffic coming up from behind. The main thing I see that the RTL510 has is the 3 colors. If it were me, I would go for the RTL. You cannot have too many warnings of upcoming traffic. They are not really an "up in your face" warnings, but I say every little bit helps the drivers notice you. Living in an area where people are not very cyclist aware, a very good investment in my future.
Old 09-03-18, 05:01 PM
rick47601

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JerryZ
I have had the 1st model for a couple seasons; it just gives another level of awareness to traffic coming up from behind. The main thing I see that the RTL510 has is the 3 colors. If it were me, I would go for the RTL. You cannot have too many warnings of upcoming traffic. They are not really an "up in your face" warnings, but I say every little bit helps the drivers notice you. Living in an area where people are not very cyclist aware, a very good investment in my future.
Thank you
Rick
Old 09-04-18, 11:30 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,647 Times in 6,055 Posts
I had the original one. It works very well. New one looks like an improvement in form factor.
Old 09-05-18, 10:25 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Liked 246 Times in 182 Posts
I have both the old and the new.

The old one works well for radar but as a tail light, I feel it is next to useless. This is a big deal to me because I find that riding with a bright taillight all the time changes the way car drivers approach me. The horizontal form factor was also an issue with me. If I did not have it positioned perfectly, I’d get interference with my thighs on occasion. The last issue with the first version is that the head unit does not have a beeper which renders it just about useless.

The new one fixes all of that. The taillight is super bright, it’s a vertical form factor and the head unit has a beeper which you can turn on or off.

So I’m a fan. All of these radars are useless in an urban setting where there are too many “targets.” Riding in a rural setting, they are wonderful.

J.
Old 09-05-18, 12:19 PM
angerdan

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
The old one works well for radar but as a tail light, I feel it is next to useless.
The new one fixes all of that. The taillight is super bright, it’s a vertical form factor and the head unit has a beeper which you can turn on or off.
Thanks for your experience
Old 09-06-18, 09:34 AM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,647 Times in 6,055 Posts
So I’m a fan. All of these radars are useless in an urban setting where there are too many “targets.” Riding in a rural setting, they are wonderful.
I actually find it useful in the city (Seattle). I had to turn the beep off because, as you say, it's almost constant. But I could see where there's a gap in traffic without looking behind me. So I'd be able to merge without looking backward as often and keep my eyes ahead. I found that valuable.
Old 09-06-18, 09:40 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by rick47601
Should I get the cheaper unit ?
If you have a separate tail light you are happy with, the old one has the same radar functionality that the new one has, and at that discount, is worth it.

If you need the brighter tail light and/or vertical form factor, get the new one.

Either way, it is well worth getting it, if you have a compatible Garmin head unit.
Old 09-06-18, 02:03 PM
rick47601

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The old one works well for radar but as a tail light, I feel it is next to useless. This is a big deal to me because I find that riding with a bright taillight all the time changes the way car drivers approach me. The horizontal form factor was also an issue with me. If I did not have it positioned perfectly, I’d get interference with my thighs on occasion. The last issue with the first version is that the head unit does not have a beeper which renders it just about useless.

J.
thank you . great info there
Rick
Old 09-06-18, 08:29 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I actually find it useful in the city (Seattle). I had to turn the beep off because, as you say, it's almost constant. But I could see where there's a gap in traffic without looking behind me. So I'd be able to merge without looking backward as often and keep my eyes ahead. I found that valuable.
Probably more accurate to say "less useful". "Useless" was a bad choice of words,

Riding in the city you have to be mindful that the Varia Radar only shows vehicles behind you that are going FASTER than you are. So if you have a car that is pacing you (or slowing down), they fall off the display. That can obviously lead to a problem if you were to not look behind you before you made some sort of maneuver that would bring you across their path. You're a lot more likely to have cars going your speed in the city than you would on a road in a more rural setting with higher speed limits.

J.
Old 09-06-18, 11:42 PM
angerdan

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Lightbulb

Riding in the city you have to be mindful that the Varia Radar only shows vehicles behind you that are going FASTER than you are. So if you have a car that is pacing you (or slowing down), they fall off the display.
That can obviously lead to a problem if you were to not look behind you before you made some sort of maneuver that would bring you across their path.
I wasn't aware of this, thanks for your comment!
Old 09-07-18, 04:39 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by angerdan
I wasn't aware of this, thanks for your comment!
I very nearly learned the the hard way. Be careful with that. I think it's in the manual but it wasn't in the original one.

J.