Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

⛍ Dooring

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-18, 01:01 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
⛍ Dooring

This video started me thinking. With all the advancing technology and safety going into cars these days, how come some type of door lock or warning mechanism hasn't yet been installed to prevent accidents like these from happening? I would think I'd have a huge impact on lowering insurance premiums? Not to mention cyclist would certainly appreciate it.

Caution: graphic content
Old 09-22-18, 04:36 AM
dabac

Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
It isn’t common enough to be worth the cost/effort.
Also, how would it work?
Setting up a sensor to watch for traffic from the rear - easy.
Setting up a sensor to distinguish between those who’ll plow right in and those who’ll swerve and miss will be near impossible.
One might as well have a delay, keeping the door locked for a few seconds before opening.
Old 09-22-18, 06:55 AM
CliffordK

Liked 4,671 Times in 3,454 Posts
Or, simply an auto opening door that would open in say 3 seconds, and avoid slamming into stuff. So, an astute cyclist can adjust course when they see the door cracking.
Old 09-22-18, 07:30 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Car manufacturers make safety features for the occupants only. They couldn't care less about anybody else unless it causes some sort of damage to the car.
Old 09-22-18, 08:12 AM
jon c. 

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
It would have a huge impact on premiums only if insurance companies are currently paying large settlements on a lot of such accidents. I have no reason to believe this is true.
Old 09-22-18, 08:29 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Car manufacturers make safety features for the occupants only. They couldn't care less about anybody else unless it causes some sort of damage to the car.
This is not true.

The sensors in my Toyota alert me to passing pedestrians and cyclists all the time. I like to think I am vigilant and cautious, but it has saved me (and them) a close call more than once.
Old 09-22-18, 11:12 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Liked 2,013 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
This video started me thinking. With all the advancing technology and safety going into cars these days, how come some type of door lock or warning mechanism hasn't yet been installed to prevent accidents like these from happening?
A much less expensive step would be to mandate that drivers open their car door with their right hand - this forces the driver to turn their body slightly and have more awareness of things coming up alongside. Teach this in driver ed, make it part of driver's license tests, and ticket those that don't do it.

They do this is some countries. I wish bicycle advocates would push this in the USA. (It would require state laws in USA - each state would need it's own advocacy campaign, but their could be a nationwide coordinating body to give advice to local campaigns.)
Old 09-22-18, 01:05 PM
alcjphil

Liked 1,901 Times in 1,111 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
This video started me thinking. With all the advancing technology and safety going into cars these days, how come some type of door lock or warning mechanism hasn't yet been installed to prevent accidents like these from happening? I would think I'd have a huge impact on lowering insurance premiums? Not to mention cyclist would certainly appreciate it.
Hyundai already has a system that detects oncoming vehicles and disables the rear door latch handles until the vehicle has passed
Old 09-22-18, 01:19 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,671 Times in 3,454 Posts
The reality is that most car drivers/occupants really don't want to hurt others. Hurting others both becomes an emotional burden, as well as potentially huge liability issue.

Thus, things like backup sensors and cross-traffic sensors (which can detect pedestrians).

It wouldn't take much to put in a bike lane sensor interfaced with doors. Not that one can't generally safely open a door into bicycle traffic... just make cyclists aware of the upcoming danger.

Good sensors and cameras could also prevent a person from stepping into traffic. No sense in getting the door ripped off by a passing bus, unless it is time to upgrade the car.
Old 09-22-18, 01:35 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Liked 1,746 Times in 864 Posts
There were some painfully idiotic cyclists in that video.
Old 09-22-18, 01:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Driving, you Practice what is called the "Dutch Twist"...

you open the door with the hand furthest from the door.
Left hand drive, your Right, & Right hand drive, use your Left hand.

and in doing so you are twisting your body around to see behind you..
Old 09-22-18, 02:36 PM
vol

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Before a solution is found, just don't ride too fast in a door zone, and always anticipate a door opening before you. At least that minimizes the potential injuries.
Old 09-22-18, 05:37 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
Before a solution is found, just don't ride too fast in a door zone, and always anticipate a door opening before you. At least that minimizes the potential injuries.
Even at a leisurely pace you can't keep up that level of alertness all the time -- there's just too many cars to scan everyone -- because you have to look our for other hazards. Besides, you can't see into half the cars or any large trucks. It would also make cycling an very unenjoyable activity.

I try to avoid those narrow car-on-the-street roads in the first place, but doing so is limited and can take you miles away from your intended route. I like the exterior warning idea, but some people just fling the door out without the slightest care as to what may be coming up next to them.

That guy on the freeway almost hit the first motor bike and still didn't check. Worst part, he wasn't even apologetic, which goes to show some folks just don't care if others get hurt by their actions.

Last edited by KraneXL; 09-23-18 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-22-18, 06:43 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Don't want to know what happened after 3:45...
Old 09-22-18, 10:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,332 Times in 2,788 Posts
Ah, having your car door hit means a new door and front fender panel virtually always, even when hit by just a 20# bicycle. (Usually the door cannot be closed.) And almost everywhere, the owner of the car is liable. Cyclist is usually tossed into the middle of the lane. If he is hit, the liability will be on the owner of the opening door, not the overtaking vehicle. So at least the car owner has a lot to lose.

I have witnessed three doorings, two on me and one by a car right in front of my office window while I was looking. (That drivers was very lucky not to get hurt. The door was tossed like a wet noodle hit by a baseball bat.)

Ben
Old 09-23-18, 06:02 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
Better yet: Just don't ride in the door zone. Doorings are thus easily preventable.
Old 09-23-18, 06:32 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,649 Times in 1,110 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
Better yet: Just don't ride in the door zone. Doorings are thus easily preventable.
Sure, just always ride in the regular traffic lane, regardless of the traffic density or speed of the surrounding traffic, without a care in the world because now the cyclist is protected from parked car doorings.

What other considerations could there be; what could possibly go wrong?
Old 09-23-18, 06:43 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Liked 1,760 Times in 872 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Hyundai already has a system that detects oncoming vehicles and disables the rear door latch handles until the vehicle has passed
I just saw a TV commercial for it, shortly after reading this post.
Old 09-23-18, 07:10 AM
jon c. 

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Sure, just always ride in the regular traffic lane, regardless of the traffic density or speed of the surrounding traffic, without a care in the world because now the cyclist is protected from parked car doorings.

In my urban riding, the higher traffic streets with on street parking have sharrows directing cyclists to ride in the traffic lane. Because that's the correct spot for a vehicle on such roads. Works quite well in my experience. Yes, the cars behind have to go a bit slower than they otherwise would, but that's life in the city.
Old 09-23-18, 06:13 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The solution for this problem was first available in 1954:
Old 09-24-18, 05:34 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike

There are many hazards that we encounter while cycling. That means that we must continually scan for and react to them in a way that minimizes risk. To ignore the very significant hazard presented by dooring because of other hazards, as you seem to be advocating, is imprudent. If these other hazards are so treacherous that you must ride in the door zone, perhaps you should select a different route.

I never, ever ride in the door zone and once or twice a year this pays off.
Old 09-24-18, 05:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by rgconner
The solution for this problem was first available in 1954:
Solution? If it was opening when you hit it, it might decapitate you. Far better were those French cars with doors that had teh hinges in the back so you just get a glancing blow, slamming the door shut.

Ben
Old 09-24-18, 06:50 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Solution? If it was opening when you hit it, it might decapitate you. Far better were those French cars with doors that had teh hinges in the back so you just get a glancing blow, slamming the door shut.

Ben
If that decapitated you, you were riding WAY too close to it!

And rear hinged doors are called "Suicide doors".
Old 09-24-18, 10:57 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by rgconner
If that decapitated you, you were riding WAY too close to it!

And rear hinged doors are called "Suicide doors".
Suicide doors, yes, but they didn't kill others. And the drivers who didn't learn to look stopped being an issue for us.
Old 09-25-18, 10:42 AM
adablduya

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
in each of the instances in the video, the cyclist is the problem. sure, legally, the one opening the door may be culpable, but that doesn't do the cyclist any good when he's flopping on the deck like a fish on the beach. my point is, avoiding the door zone is on the cyclist. it is an obvious and completely avoidable hazard. we don't need cars with built-in crap to take care of the hazard. all it takes is for cyclists to be situationally aware.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.