Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Insurance

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 11:23 AM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Bike Insurance

What do you guys do about bike insurance? My new bike (a CAAD12) is valued less than my homeowners' deductible and reducing the deductible wouldn't make economic sense. My insurance company (USAA) doesn't offer separate bike insurance and the item cannot be added to the valuable personal property policy.

Are there other options?

Last edited by Robert A; 10-03-18 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-03-18, 11:27 AM
nesposito

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
There's company called Big Ring Insurance that insures bikes. I had mine insured through them when I traveled with my bike a lot. It was only about $9/month. You might look into that.
Old 10-03-18, 11:30 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
What do you guys do about bike insurance? My new bike (a CAAD12) is valued less than my homeowners' deductible and reducing the deductible wouldn't make economic sense. Are there other options?
Call your insurance company. Some if not most insurance companies offer riders for different types of things and the deductibles are usually adjustable for each type. For example, my HOI has a 750.00 deductible. I have a rider for my firearms. The deductible for those is 250.00 and the rider only costs me about 100.00 a year. . I say all this to say, call your insurance company and ask what they can do for you.
Old 10-03-18, 11:34 AM
Robert A

Originally Posted by yarbrough462
Call your insurance company. Some if not most insurance companies offer riders for different types of things and the deductibles are usually adjustable for each type. For example, my HOI has a 750.00 deductible. I have a rider for my firearms. The deductible for those is 250.00 and the rider only costs me about 100.00 a year. . I say all this to say, call your insurance company and ask what they can do for you.
Just updated my OP.
Old 10-03-18, 11:36 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Just updated my OP.
? What am I missing? I also use USAA BTW...
Old 10-03-18, 11:37 AM
Robert A

My insurance company (USAA) doesn't offer separate bike insurance and the item cannot be added to the valuable personal property policy.

Originally Posted by yarbrough462
? What am I missing? I also use USAA BTW...
Old 10-03-18, 11:38 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

My insurance company (USAA) doesn't offer separate bike insurance and the item cannot be added to the valuable personal property policy.
I have mine added to my USAA? It may be because they are covered on my rider since I am overseas and my HOI is for my house in the States? I'd call again. You will get a different rep and may get a different answer. USAA is terrible for this. In fact, I am going back to State Farm when I get back to the US...
Old 10-03-18, 11:52 AM
Robert A

USAA simply won't cover it with a separate deductible. I've been through this several times. They once allowed me to add a bike to the VPP policy but that's because it had classic/vintage value. Nowadays, only jewelry and cameras can be separately insured.