Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Hybrid vs Gravel Geometry?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-18, 09:30 PM
Maxlee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hybrid vs Gravel Geometry?

I was wondering what's the difference between a hybrid and gravel bike if I were to put drop bars on a hybrid frame. Is the frame geometry similar? I'm a little curious because they seem somewhat similar in some aspects like having the capability of putting on a similar sized tire.
Old 10-05-18, 10:29 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxlee
I was wondering what's the difference between a hybrid and gravel bike if I were to put drop bars on a hybrid frame. Is the frame geometry similar? I'm a little curious because they seem somewhat similar in some aspects like having the capability of putting on a similar sized tire.
Framesets for flat-bar bikes are sometimes "longer" than for drop-bar bikes, since the handlebars themselves create less reach. Drop-bar conversions thus sometimes require high and short stems.

Another consideration is steering geometry, particularly trail. When using narrow handlebars, a high-trail geometry can feel floppy at low speeds and stiffen up too much at high speeds. Hybrids vary considerably in trail, but their numbers are usually higher than for road bikes. If you're using very wide flared bars, then you'll likely be okay; if you're aiming for a road-bike-like posture, your bike will likely have a livelier feel if you err toward lower trail.

Some other things to keep in mind:
1-You'll probably need new brake levers and shifters. Drop bars have a diameter of 23.8mm, while flat bars use 22.2mm, so you can't just move the components from the hybrid onto the drop bar. A few brands make special 22.2mm drop bars specifically to get around this (like the Pure Fix Drop Bar), but the ergonomics of straight-bar components on drop bars will still be a bit odd. (You could similarly "create" drop handlebars by just adding drop-shaped bar-ends to your straight bars.)
2-Pay attention to brake lever and shifter compatibility with the existing components. This includes brakes: if the hybrid has linear-pull brakes (full-size v-brakes or mountain mechanical discs), you'll need to either use a linear-pull brake lever (like an RL520 or Tektro Drop-V) or a pull adapter (like a Problem Solvers Travel Agent).
3-Also budget for cables, housing, bar tape, etc.
Old 10-06-18, 02:27 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Gravel bike: A hybrid with drop bars. We've come full circle.
Old 10-06-18, 07:22 AM
Buddha2499

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Gravel bike: A hybrid with drop bars. We've come full circle.

I mostly agree with this. Actually, I think the term “hybrid” is better applied to gravel bikes than actual hybrids.

The problem with your question is that the term “hybrid” bikes is basically meaningless. My first adult bike was a 2007 Trek FX 7.6, which was a road bike with flat bars. I ended up putting drops on it and it is as much a road bike as any other, just a bit heavier.

My my wife has a lower end FX she bought on the same day, which is much more hybrid like than my old hybrid. My dad has a hybrid that I can’t see is good for any type of road or trail, but is probably nice for an out of shape 66 year old man who doesn’t want to bike faster than 7mph. Today’s hybrids seem to encompass anything that isn’t a drop bar road bike or a full mountain bike, the term is meaningless and there’s no common geometry to speak of.
Old 10-06-18, 09:15 AM
Maxlee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input
Old 10-06-18, 09:37 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Buddha2499

I mostly agree with this. Actually, I think the term “hybrid” is better applied to gravel bikes than actual hybrids.

The problem with your question is that the term “hybrid” bikes is basically meaningless. My first adult bike was a 2007 Trek FX 7.6, which was a road bike with flat bars. I ended up putting drops on it and it is as much a road bike as any other, just a bit heavier.

My my wife has a lower end FX she bought on the same day, which is much more hybrid like than my old hybrid. My dad has a hybrid that I can’t see is good for any type of road or trail, but is probably nice for an out of shape 66 year old man who doesn’t want to bike faster than 7mph. Today’s hybrids seem to encompass anything that isn’t a drop bar road bike or a full mountain bike, the term is meaningless and there’s no common geometry to speak of.
Actually, there are some specific specifications that are common to basically all hybrids. Chief among them is a more relaxed geometry. After that, they may include spacing for larger wheels/tire, compact gearing, rack mounts, but may or may not include flat handlebars. In many of these specifications a gravel bike (or cross bike) could both fall well within the area and/or be considered hybrids.
Old 10-06-18, 10:11 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
I'll take a shot at this, but take my answers with a grain of salt as I have zero professional experience in bike building.

First off, while the term "Hybrid" can apply to many differrent facets of cycling, for simplicity I am going to assume you are comparing something like a Cannondale Quick, Trek FX or Giant Escape to an "All Road" type of bike such as Giants AllRoad or Cannondales Slate.

1. Top Tube length/reach -As mentioned above, the top tube for a flat bar hybrid is longer than a gravel drop bar bike. The reason for this (also as mentioned) is that your stem length on a flat bar bike is shorter. If you look into a road bike you are adding on avg 9-12cm of stem length to get to the handlebars an maybe 4-6cm to that to get you to the hoods where most riders spend their time. So while the top tube may be shorter, the overall reach for a rider on a road/gravel bike tends to be longer. Gravel bikes tend to have an even shorter top tube than their road brethren to give riders more stability in the front end to support additional weight when jumping on and off their bikes and control aroumd quick turns and short corners.

Adding drop bars to a hybrid will give you a nice long reach, great for riders with longer torso's and stable fast paced rides with stability in the front end when sweeping wide corners on descents.

2. Trail/Rake - Again as mentioned above the longer trail on a hybrid makes for a comfy, easy ride. You will find a longer trail on a hybrid than most road/gravel bikes and probably an even shorter trail on CX specific bikes. Remember above where the top tube is slightly longer but the overall reach may be shorter on a Hybrid? The longer trail allows a shorter reach to have more control at speed. Allowing the better handling and less twitch on fast descents.

3. Wheelbase - Have not seen this mentioned yet but the wheelbase on a hybrid is usually 4-5cm longer than on a road/gravel bike. This allows for a nice comfy ride, more suspension to the overall frame (longer length) and better tracking. The cross/gravel bike has a shorter wheelbase to assist getting around corners quicker, better response at the bottom bracket (Shorter frame length) and a more rigid controlled climb up short steep hills. Im going to also assume that it helps to keep the weight of the rider over the real wheel (shorter chainstays) for better traction.

Thats my no-clue best guess as to the difference between the 2 frame styles. I think depending on your build and riding style you could certainly convert. Although I dont think you would get the advantage from a hybrid that a gravel bike was designed for.

-Sean

Last edited by Wilmingtech; 10-06-18 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-06-18, 10:41 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
gravel is generic.

gravel bikes range from road race geo on a fatter tire 35/38 max, all the way to MTB geo with mtb tires that happens to have a drop bar.

Due the current customer base for hybrid bikes, and the demand for sit up relaxed style of riding. I reverted back to the 90's for my hybrid.
Old 10-07-18, 05:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
geometry, is angles and lengths data to compare..

here mostly it's opinions..
Old 10-08-18, 09:37 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
geometry, is angles and lengths data to compare..
Exactly. so I'm looking at my wife's hybrid (Crosstrail) and comparing it to a Roker and a warbird

Hybrid has
+30mm top tube
+ 5-10mm wheelbase
about the same head tube angle (slacker than the Roker, same as the Warbird)
+50mm on the wheelbase
+40mm on stack
+25mm on reach (it has a super short stem and flat bar)

This make the bike feel more stable and easier to ride - a bit less nimble. Makes for a good gravel bike if I'm not in a hurry and don't need razor sharp handling.
Old 10-08-18, 10:34 AM
KraneXL

Seems to me what makes a hybrid a hybrid would also work well for gravel? Maybe we should ask GCN to do a comparisons to see which fairs better on the gravel? Then again I suspect if has to do with distance, where the dedicated gravel bike would have the obvious advantage. Such as a 200 mile run across Kansas.
Old 10-09-18, 09:42 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
It does. But you are taking relaxed gravel geometry, and making it a even more relaxed. Its typically more upright too, although you can adjust that. That longer wheelbase makes it more stable in gravel or in long graceful turns, although its going to be harder to cut a tight turn if your are going slow, or turning hard on pavement. But yeah it would be good for 200 mile run.

80% of my rides are 90 minutes or less
20% of my rides are 3 hours or less
one ride per year would be across state.

Personally I target a bike for the majority of my riding, rather than the once a year thing. For something like that, even renting a bike from LBS is an option.