Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dura Ace 7900 shifters - replacement?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-18, 09:27 AM
shopco43

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

My Dura Ace Grouppo from 2004 is getting long-in-the-tooth and I am concerned about keeping it going. I purchased my bicycle at a time when I could afford it but since I retired that is no longer the case. I am specifically worried about the shifters. So the question is should I buy a lightly used set off ebay or something or are there currently produced units that will work? The bike is a 10 speed (20 speed). I have not ridden for a long time but am now getting back into it.
Old 10-31-18, 07:07 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 101 Posts
The problem with buying from eBay is you never really know how lightly used stuff is. You can actually buy a new Dura-Ace 7970 set from Chain Reaction Cycles at roughly half-price, if that's of interest. Otherwise you'd be reduced to fitting 105, which is about half as much again.

Do you have any reason to believe the Dura-Ace shifters are nearing the end of their life? You could spend a lot of money buying a spare and end up never using it.
Old 10-31-18, 07:28 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I'm in a similar position, with my 7800 shifters starting to show their age. Probably the safest bet would be to get a new set of 105 levers, you will barely notice the difference other than the lack of shiny bits.
Old 11-03-18, 02:27 AM
ManyBikess

Bikes: 22 Specilaized Roll 3, 18 Sirrus Carbon, 07 Colnago CLX, 03 KHS 304, 79 Schwinn Super LeTour

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have had good luck with ebay parts for my 07 ultegra 6600

Last edited by ManyBikess; 11-04-18 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-03-18, 12:24 PM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shopco43
My Dura Ace Grouppo from 2004 is getting long-in-the-tooth and I am concerned about keeping it going. I purchased my bicycle at a time when I could afford it but since I retired that is no longer the case. I am specifically worried about the shifters. So the question is should I buy a lightly used set off ebay or something or are there currently produced units that will work? The bike is a 10 speed (20 speed). I have not ridden for a long time but am now getting back into it.
I have those shifters on a couple of bikes (my old road bike and my cross bike) Anyway, I broke a shifter on the road bike when a cable broke inside and couldn't be removed. I took the shifter off the rarely-ridden cross bike to get the road bike back into operation. I then purchased a replacement shifter from ebay for the cross bike. It works great.