Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Terry Osell Build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Terry Osell Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-18, 03:40 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Terry Osell Build

I picked this up last year at the Westminster swap. It was late in the day, and this frame had sat there the entire day, unloved. I had just picked up an Eisentraut Limited that had likewise been ignored, and wasn't sure about this one. But the seller had lowered the price through the day; it might have been the best made frame in the entire show: no slop in the build, elegant and understated with some superior attention to detail. So I made an offer on what I felt was the low side of fair, and after the seller asked for $20 more-- entirely reasonable, as was every price he'd had it at through the day-- I walked off with the frame, fork, DA headset, and matching Silica pump for 220$.

Slowly, I put it together. You all know the dance. Find a donor bike (in this case, a Dura Ace 7400 equipped Vitus). Order a few favorite parts (bars, stem, pedals, cages both toe and bottle). Clean stuff off. Regrease, rebearing, reinstall.

Today it was rideable. Only part I needed was a front shifter; the cable was frozen in the DA one; I'll be taking it into work and subjecting it to heat later in the week, but I needed to make a shakedown cruise, so I rode it down to the local co-op and bought cheap a set of shimano shifters, of the light action variety. Front one works perfect and doesn't look really out of place. The guys at the co-op laughed at my ape like arms that necessitate putting such a long stem on even this giant bike. It rides, well, you already know.

Osell was a Minnesota framebuilder. Don't know much more; but as I get older, I find myself more interested in bikes like this: high quality handbuilds, not off a production line and not all that well known. I'm just no longer interested in working on a regular old bike, be it a Colnago or a Roadmaster. Something cool. This is it.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Likes For Poguemahone:
Old 11-04-18, 03:43 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Next project is this Alain Michel:

Old 11-04-18, 03:58 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Liked 6,577 Times in 3,776 Posts
That's literally the beauty of "small, obscure, not well known" builders, you know it when you see it regardless of the name. Locale is often overlooked as well, here in the PNW Merz, Newlands, Davidson, Rodriguez, Erikson and many others from back in the day are not well known away from here but you know it when you see it.

That Osell is excellent.

Last edited by merziac; 11-04-18 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-04-18, 04:28 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Originally Posted by merziac
That's the literally the beauty of "small, obscure, not well known" builders, you know it when you see it regardless of the name. Locale is often overlooked as well, here in the PNW Merz, Newlands, Davidson, Rodriguez, Erikson and many others from back in the day are not well known away from here but you know it when you see it.

That Osell is excellent.
One of my great regrets in this hobby is not picking up or at least bidding on a beauty of an Erikson touring frame that was on the bay. Fillet brazed, with some gorgeous unique touches. IIRC, it wound up going for >120.

I swore if something that cool passed my vision again, even on ebay, where I don't normally deal, I'd at least make an effort.

Old 11-04-18, 04:47 PM
kydeadhead

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That Osell is nice. My brother had an Osell tandem in the early 80's. I believe his shop was in North Minneapolis at the time. Terry was active in the Twin Cities Tandem Club so there are probably are some members here from the Cities who can fill you in on him.
Old 11-04-18, 05:24 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Originally Posted by kydeadhead
That Osell is nice. My brother had an Osell tandem in the early 80's. I believe his shop was in North Minneapolis at the time. Terry was active in the Twin Cities Tandem Club so there are probably are some members here from the Cities who can fill you in on him.
You're the second person to mention his tandems. Much as I'd like one, my wife wouldn't. You could fit what I know in a couple of paragraphs, no make that sentences. I do know he's still about, but retired. His braze work is superb, and the bike is a very nice rider. I'll be making minor tweaks over the next week or so; pretty standard in any build, at least mine. The bike was a pleasure to work on: so well made everything just, well, went on.

Old 11-04-18, 05:55 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Liked 6,577 Times in 3,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Poguemahone
You're the second person to mention his tandems. Much as I'd like one, my wife wouldn't. You could fit what I know in a couple of paragraphs, no make that sentences. I do know he's still about, but retired. His braze work is superb, and the bike is a very nice rider. I'll be making minor tweaks over the next week or so; pretty standard in any build, at least mine. The bike was a pleasure to work on: so well made everything just, well, went on.
Seems like many of the good builders did tandems if they wanted, Merz only built one I think but it set an STP record that stood for a while and is now on display at West End Bikes in PDX and is absolutely awesome, Davidson built many and they are beautiful from a mile away as well as excellent performers. Any that embraced them naturally excelled as a matter of course. I will buy one if I find the right one, whether my better half gets on board may be another story. The only thing I really know about them aside from what a pita they can be is they have to fit well to be viable and can be a lot of work to succeed with.
Old 11-04-18, 06:07 PM
seypat

Liked 2,585 Times in 1,536 Posts
Wow, that is a gorgeous frame! The details/paint are so pretty. I know we haven't seen much sun lately in RVA, but please post a pic in the the bright sunlight. That bike is going to sparkle in the sun. Beautiful.