Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why does bike weight make sure a difference when climbing but your weight does not?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why does bike weight make sure a difference when climbing but your weight does not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 11:25 PM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My late-great CAAD 12 came in at just under 18 pounds.
My Fuji touring bike at 26 pounds.

Now if my weight had been constant over the last few years there would be no question posted. But I've lost 30+ pounds and the Fuji was a pain in the ass to climb with when I was 205 pounds and now that I'm 175 its still a pain.

In contrast the CAAD 12 was always a joy to climb with regardless of weight.

In fact it was easier to climb with my CAAD 12 at 205 pounds than it is with my Fuji touring at 175 pounds!

So why is that that 8 pounds of bike mass makes such a difference?
Old 11-19-18, 11:44 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
The geometry and material probably plays a role. Slack geometry and springy steel frame on the Fuji vs race geometry and stiff aluminum with large geometry tubing and bottom bracket on the CAAD. So you are tansfering more power to wheels on the CAAD and losing more energy on the Fuji.
Old 11-19-18, 11:59 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'll say that the bike is still extra weight from your norm. Carrying extra exte.rnal weight feels different from it being just part of you, IMO.
Old 11-20-18, 12:12 AM
colnago62

Liked 413 Times in 231 Posts
Greg Lemond said something to the effect riding doesn’t get easier, you just get faster 🤣😂😅
Old 11-20-18, 12:30 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,336 Times in 2,790 Posts
A piece of this may well be the stiffness as other have said. One factor is that we learn to tailor our riding style to the bikes re ride regularly. 40 years ago no one climbed on bikes as stiff as todays and a lot of us climbed on biked far less stiff. We learned to climb within the constraints of those flexible bikes, mostly by learning to keep our efforts smooth. If you took a racer of my day and put him on your Fuji tourer, it would set him back, yes, but probably a lot less that it does you because the adjustment he would have to make would be a lot less.

The other piece, as other said, is bike fit. That's huge. Less than optimum fit could be costing you 5-10% of your top end. (8 pounds in 190 pounds is 4.2%. 190 pound = 18 (bike) + 2 (waterbottles, tools, stuff in pockets) + 5 (clothes and helmet) + 165 (you).

Ben
Old 11-20-18, 02:23 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 601 Times in 332 Posts
From my experience, body weight makes a big difference when climbing.
Old 11-20-18, 03:17 AM
Aubergine 
Francophile

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Liked 676 Times in 331 Posts
IMO the wheels make a lot of difference. Not so much the bike.
Old 11-20-18, 03:33 AM
dabac

Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
If you were a riding robot, the key things would be overall weight of vehicle + rider, assuming that gearing, geometry/ergonomics/frame/fork properties are reasonably similar.

However, very few of us are riding robots. We tend to react disproportionally to fairly small changes in bike behaviour and performance. The consequence of this is that we tend to ride harder on "nice" bikes.

Spoke to a guy who'd stuck a power meter on his beater/commuter bike.
He'd "always" claimed that the bike was undeniably slower than his nice bike. Then data showed that he consistently used less effort when he used that bike. If he tried riding by the numbers instead of by feel, the difference between beater/commuter-nice bike became a lot smaller.
Wheel weight/rotating mass is something I react strongly to. Climbing gives a far more notchy or jagged speed curve than flat riding. While one could argue that heavier wheels keeps more inertia etc, my legs certainly don't agree. A wheelset/bike that reacts faster to each power stroke simply feels like a better bike uphill. Easier to motivate yourself to keep cranking.
Old 11-20-18, 06:24 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
IMO the wheels make a lot of difference. Not so much the bike.
Wheels make little difference. Tires and tubes make a bigger difference than the wheel.

In terms of "feel" when climbing, especially standing, I'd assert that a heavy saddle makes a much bigger difference on feel than wheels versus a light saddle.
Old 11-20-18, 08:36 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Your body weight alone doesn't tell you much. Likely more imagination than reality.
Old 11-20-18, 09:02 AM
OBoile

Liked 331 Times in 209 Posts
Body weight matters just as much as bike weight. Gravity doesn't care if the weight is on you or on your bike. You probably don't notice because your body weight isn't changing by 8 lbs from one day to the next.
Old 11-20-18, 09:15 AM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
If you were a riding robot, the key things would be overall weight of vehicle + rider, assuming that gearing, geometry/ergonomics/frame/fork properties are reasonably similar.

However, very few of us are riding robots. We tend to react disproportionally to fairly small changes in bike behaviour and performance. The consequence of this is that we tend to ride harder on "nice" bikes.

Spoke to a guy who'd stuck a power meter on his beater/commuter bike.
He'd "always" claimed that the bike was undeniably slower than his nice bike. Then data showed that he consistently used less effort when he used that bike. If he tried riding by the numbers instead of by feel, the difference between beater/commuter-nice bike became a lot smaller.
Wheel weight/rotating mass is something I react strongly to. Climbing gives a far more notchy or jagged speed curve than flat riding. While one could argue that heavier wheels keeps more inertia etc, my legs certainly don't agree. A wheelset/bike that reacts faster to each power stroke simply feels like a better bike uphill. Easier to motivate yourself to keep cranking.
I agree with this assessment most, I have several bikes of different weights, one being a touring bike and a fairly light road bike, I find I won’t put out as much effort into the heavier bike because the results aren’t the same as when effort is put into lighter bikes. There is no perception of instant acceleration on the touring bike like there is on the road bike. More like driving a truck compared to a sports car.
Old 11-20-18, 09:16 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 2,839 Times in 1,594 Posts
Bicycle weight changes the center of gravity of the man / machine system and a lighter bike raises the center of gravity. 8 pounds is a lot of weight to lose off the bike and would definitely change its feel.

Are your times faster with the lighter bike up your favorite climb than would be predicted by calculation with the 8 pound weight reduction?
Old 11-20-18, 09:57 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Climbing at 175 with a crappy bike you're probably still going faster than climbing with the light bike at 200+ pounds. It just feels like crap.
Old 11-20-18, 10:19 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Ask Peter Sagan if being heavier than Julian Alaphilippe matters on climbs.
Old 11-20-18, 10:36 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Liked 513 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
From my experience, body weight makes a big difference when climbing.
This ^^ As I look at how much weight I've gained recently (damn you tasty tasty beer) my ability to climb had been getting slower and slower. Plus it just feels 'bad' having to move the extra weight up the hill. Good incentive to get on the weight loss program over the winter.
Old 11-20-18, 10:49 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
I would agree that body weight makes a difference. I've been building muscle mass in the gym, and climbing at 195# is harder than 180#, gravity doesn't care if it's muscle, fat or bicycle.

I do much prefer climbing with a stiff bike.
Old 11-20-18, 11:00 AM
PaulRivers

Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
It's probably the difference in bike design and geometry that makes one feel slower.

But another possibility is that when you lose weight you lose muscle and thus the gains from less weight are lost.
Old 11-20-18, 11:03 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I agree, suspect geometry or other aspects that affect handling. And I think that it's possible that a particular person's technique could just be more suited to one type of weight distribution than to another.

For me, 5 pounds off my body makes more difference climbing than 5 pounds off the bike. But I barely move the bike when I'm out of the saddle and it stays in a pretty straight line, so maybe that's it.
Old 11-20-18, 11:16 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Liked 491 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
My late-great CAAD 12 came in at just under 18 pounds.
My Fuji touring bike at 26 pounds.

Now if my weight had been constant over the last few years there would be no question posted. But I've lost 30+ pounds and the Fuji was a pain in the ass to climb with when I was 205 pounds and now that I'm 175 its still a pain.

In contrast the CAAD 12 was always a joy to climb with regardless of weight.

In fact it was easier to climb with my CAAD 12 at 205 pounds than it is with my Fuji touring at 175 pounds!

So why is that that 8 pounds of bike mass makes such a difference?
It's important to understand Weber's Law when considering a perceived difference in weight.
Old 11-20-18, 11:34 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Two years ago I was 185-190lb and had a 15lb carbon bike with 50/34 11-28. Right now I'm 165 and have an 18lb aluminum bike (basically same geometry as lighter bike) and 52/36 11-28 . I can do same climbs that I needed 34/28 gear combo with 36/25 now . I am much lighter as I mentioned but also spent about a year in gym doing a lot of squats and strength work over that time
Old 11-20-18, 01:11 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Liked 828 Times in 460 Posts
This reminds me of a racer who was said to to take his bottle out from its cage and put it in his jersey pocket before a climb, so his bike was lighter.
Old 11-20-18, 01:29 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Liked 400 Times in 196 Posts
Try climbing with a 30 pound backpack on. Then try it without. I think you'll notice a pretty significant difference.
Old 11-20-18, 01:30 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Liked 400 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
This reminds me of a racer who was said to to take his bottle out from its cage and put it in his jersey pocket before a climb, so his bike was lighter.
10/10 extremely pro.
Old 11-20-18, 01:46 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by joelcool
I would agree that body weight makes a difference. I've been building muscle mass in the gym, and climbing at 195# is harder than 180#, gravity doesn't care if it's muscle, fat or bicycle.

I do much prefer climbing with a stiff bike.
Well, not exactly. Although the difference might not show up over small increments, muscle still produces work. While additional fat is just dead weight.
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
It's probably the difference in bike design and geometry that makes one feel slower.

But another possibility is that when you lose weight you lose muscle and thus the gains from less weight are lost.
Makes sense. We mostly just refer to weight, but its actually a ratio of strengh to weight that matters most.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.