Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cannondale warranty, will it cover me if a buy a 2nd hand bike that isn't registered?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cannondale warranty, will it cover me if a buy a 2nd hand bike that isn't registered?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-18, 06:12 PM
RaphaJimmy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an opportunity to buy a new cannondale frame from the original owner who hasn't registered the bike yet. Will I get covered if I buy it and register my name?
Old 12-25-18, 06:14 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Most likely a matter of how well the shop that it was bought from recorded info and how much bending of info you are willing to do. I know my shop records frame serials to purchase recipts which may interfere with your ability to claim proof of purchase.
Old 12-25-18, 07:16 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Liked 2,207 Times in 1,252 Posts
Pretty much all warranty claims need to be processed by an authorized dealer, so the question is can you convince a dealer into thinking you are the original owner. They may want a receipt if they didn't sell it to you. Thus I think you will run up against the original owner clause.
Old 12-26-18, 05:09 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Personally, if I were buying a frame on the contingency that it had to have a factory warranty, I wouldn't buy one 2nd hand. I could see real issues trying to ever collect on that warranty if the frame broke or was damaged in some other way.
Old 12-26-18, 05:48 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by RaphaJimmy
I have an opportunity to buy a new cannondale frame from the original owner who hasn't registered the bike yet. Will I get covered if I buy it and register my name?
As much as I like Cannondale bikes, I'd still operate with the assumption that if their frame warranty is extended only to the original owner (as it says in the warranty literature) that's how it will be.

I'm the original owner of my Cannondale Synapse road bike. I'm the second owner of my Cannondale hybrid. While I don't expect it ever to come up, I'm fairly certain that I would not be successful in a warranty claim with my 2nd-hand Quick CX frame. But in the other hand, I got it for a lot less than it would be priced new, with the expectation that I own any problems that may arise.
Old 12-26-18, 12:00 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
This is where a deep and meaningful relationship with your LBS comes in handy. They can make all kinds of good things happen for those they know and love. Without such a relationship, you’re pretty much stuck with “by the book.”

-Kedosto
Old 12-26-18, 12:17 PM
TiHabanero

Liked 1,394 Times in 733 Posts
"Frames, excluding those listed below: Lifetime of the original owner.

Frames of Gravity, Freeride, Downhill, Dirt Jump and other ASTM Category Five Bicycles: Three years from original retail purchase.

Swing Arms, Chainstays, Seatstays, and Shock Links of Full Suspension Frames: Five years from original retail purchase.

Cannondale Lefty and Headshok Suspension Forks and Unbranded Forks: The fork structure is covered under the frame warranty. The internal components are covered as Cannondale Branded Components.

Paint and Decals: One year from original retail purchase.

Cannondale Branded Components: One year from original retail purchase.

Non-Cannondale Branded Components, including Non-Cannondale Branded Forks, Electronic Systems, Shocks, and Other Components, are covered by the stated warranty, if any, of their manufacturer, and are not covered under this limited warranty. Please check in your owner’s manual pack for information regarding these warranties."

Only covers original purchaser. Specialized and Trek the same. I believe Giant does not specify original owner in their warranty.
Old 12-26-18, 12:40 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,428 Times in 2,076 Posts
Does the original owner have the original receipt? Does it have their name on it?
Old 12-26-18, 12:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Lifetime of the original owner. means save your receipt , & it expires when it is resold.. so a used bike has none..
Old 12-26-18, 02:32 PM
TiHabanero

Cheaters never win, they only fool others for a short period of time. Original owner must have a receipt with their name on it. Back dated receipts are invalid. Honesty is the only policy.
Old 12-26-18, 06:13 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Liked 272 Times in 160 Posts
Don't count on it.
Old 12-27-18, 10:35 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,565 Times in 1,028 Posts
Just get a copy of the original receipt from the original owner? While there's always this original owner wording, is this to say that anything purchased as a gift for someone else is always not covered by warranty?
Old 12-27-18, 05:44 PM
TiHabanero

Gifted items are the exception.
Old 12-27-18, 05:53 PM
alcjphil

Liked 1,771 Times in 1,028 Posts
So, what? You buy a second hand frame at {hopefully) a discount and expect that you will receive the same benefits as the person who paid full price for it? Why? Buying second hand saves money because you do not enjoy the warranty protections that an original owner has paid for. You cannot expect to get both a lower price and the advantages of buying new

Last edited by alcjphil; 12-27-18 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-27-18, 07:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,272 Times in 2,851 Posts
Original owner does mean original owner. If you are worried about warranty buy a new bike from the shop and you will get your warranty. When you buy a used bike from someone else you get nothing from the manufacturer or the bike shop because you didn't purchase from them.
Old 12-27-18, 10:36 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by alcjphil
So, what? You buy a second hand frame at {hopefully) a discount and expect that you will receive the same benefits as the person who paid full price for it? Why? Buying second hand saves money because you do not enjoy the warranty protections that an original owner has paid for. You cannot expect to get both a lower price and the advantages of buying new
Why not if the item is still within the age that the manufacturer warranteed their product to be within? If the original buyer sells it for a price that's the same as MSRP, then is the 2nd owner somehow entitled to warranty coverage? Someone paid an amount for the product to be warranteeable for the period of time that the manufacturer set; in theory that's what the manufacturer *should* be concerned with.
Old 12-28-18, 08:05 AM
Trakhak

Liked 3,262 Times in 1,859 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Why not if the item is still within the age that the manufacturer warranteed their product to be within? If the original buyer sells it for a price that's the same as MSRP, then is the 2nd owner somehow entitled to warranty coverage? Someone paid an amount for the product to be warranteeable for the period of time that the manufacturer set; in theory that's what the manufacturer *should* be concerned with.
Why not? Because that's the deal, literally. Some companies in other industries choose to offer transferable warranties; no companies of which I'm aware in the bike industry do.
Old 12-28-18, 09:31 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Why not? Because that's the deal, literally. Some companies in other industries choose to offer transferable warranties; no companies of which I'm aware in the bike industry do.
Sure, of course that's the way the warrantees are written for bike stuff. But I was responding to someone else who appeared to imply that to desire a transferable warranty, is somehow immoral or unethical. I guess I'd argue that non-transferable warrantees are closer to being unethical.
Old 12-28-18, 10:24 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,179 Times in 7,598 Posts
Someone paid an amount for the product to be warranteeable for the period of time that the manufacturer set; in theory that's what the manufacturer *should* be concerned with.
Uncorrect. If someone pays an amount for a product that includes a non-transferable warranty than that is what manufacturer offered and what the purchaser agreed to accept. It's the terms of the deal that both parties should be concerned with. That's the point of a contract.
Old 12-28-18, 12:07 PM
TiHabanero

I have an idea. Have the original owner provide a warranty to you as the second owner. At the shop we do that on certain used bikes. The warranty is strictly through the shop and we back it up completely. Never had any problems doing this, but we are very picky about what used bikes we warranty.
Old 12-28-18, 12:09 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Uncorrect. If someone pays an amount for a product that includes a non-transferable warranty than that is what manufacturer offered and what the purchaser agreed to accept. It's the terms of the deal that both parties should be concerned with. That's the point of a contract.
I'm not going to get into a english language debate.. though it's why I used the wording "in theory" and "should" and not the word "is".
Tangentially related, someone indicated that gifted bike items are somehow covered by warranty.. how does this work anyway?
Old 12-28-18, 12:31 PM
indyfabz

Liked 16,179 Times in 7,598 Posts
Tangentially related, someone indicated that gifted bike items are somehow covered by warranty.. how does this work anyway?
Assuming we're talking about a item with a non-transferable warranty...Likely because there is only one intended first user/owner of the item.
Old 12-28-18, 01:14 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Hmmmm, another 1 post wonder. You know what I'm thinking?

Old 12-29-18, 09:04 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I have an idea. Have the original owner provide a warranty to you as the second owner. At the shop we do that on certain used bikes. The warranty is strictly through the shop and we back it up completely. Never had any problems doing this, but we are very picky about what used bikes we warranty.
I be this would totally work if the original owner would cooperate.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.