Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trying to find replacement headset

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-19, 09:02 AM
Spearmin

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Hi,

I have removed the headset from my Bianchi C2C 928 carbon (2011?2012?) bike. On one of the bearings, I found: FSA Industries 1 1/8 45X45.
Does anyone know what type of headset this might be? I can't find any other information.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-07-19, 09:25 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
FSA Orbit CE or CE Plus. IS42/28.6 / IS42/30

The CE Plus is listed as the OEM. It has a carbon headset cap and appears to be discontinued. The CE is still widely available.
Old 01-07-19, 10:12 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,340 Times in 2,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Spearmin
Hi,

I have removed the headset from my Bianchi C2C 928 carbon (2011?2012?) bike. On one of the bearings, I found: FSA Industries 1 1/8 45X45.
Does anyone know what type of headset this might be? I can't find any other information.

Thanks in advance
We just went through this at my local co-op. The "45x45" is in reference to the external and internal angles of the bearing. It's a mostly meaningless categorization. You need to measure the inner diameter of the bearing, the outer diameter of the bearing and the thickness with a pair of calipers. That will tell you what bearing is needed.

The information given by DrIsotope is probably valid but it is best to measure first.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-08-19, 02:31 AM
Spearmin

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for this guys. What do the following mean: IS42/28.6 / IS42/30?
Old 01-08-19, 07:42 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
For future reference, Cane Creek has an excellent Headset Fit Finder tool

https://blue.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

Below is for the 2011 928.

IS means integrated. There are also ZS (zero stack), EC (external cup) and a few others.

-Tim-
Old 01-08-19, 07:49 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Liked 1,099 Times in 745 Posts
As DrIsotope noted, buy an FSA Orbit CE replacement headset. It will be a direct replacement. Here is Amazon's listing for it:

​​​​​​https://www.amazon.com/FSA-Orbit-CE-.../dp/B0083CQYDO
Old 01-08-19, 10:22 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,340 Times in 2,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Spearmin
Thanks for this guys. What do the following mean: IS42/28.6 / IS42/30?
The "IS" stands for "integrated headset". Why it isn't "IH", I don't know. The "42" stands for "type of headset" but is really related to the diameter of the bearing. The bearing internal diameter (OD) should be 41.8mm but they round it up to 42 for the sake of confusion. A "41" type stands for a 41mm bearing OD so I guess "41" was taken and, I suppose, they ran out of decimal points (?).

The "28.6" and "30" are the ID of the bearing or, perhaps more specifically, the OD of the steer tube and the crown crown race, respectively. I guess they had a quota of decimal points since they were willing to use one but not 2 (or 4)

For more confusion, check the Park website for the Standardized Headset Identification System (SHIS). It does make it a little clearer but you really need to read through the whole article to understand it.

Originally Posted by TimothyH
For future reference, Cane Creek has an excellent Headset Fit Finder tool

https://blue.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

Below is for the 2011 928.

IS means integrated. There are also ZS (zero stack), EC (external cup) and a few others.

-Tim-
Could they have made it any more confusing? Why not include the actual measurement of the bearing OD so that someone coming across a 41.8mm bearing would know that it's a type 42? Would it kill them to use decimal points? And while ZS stands for "zero stack" the SHIS system calls it an "Internal headset". Would an "IH" designation be more confusing than calling it a "ZS" and then referring to the headset as an internal headset?

I know headsets are confusing but, honestly, a "standard" system shouldn't add to the confusion.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-08-19, 10:36 AM
Spearmin

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm still not sure I understand all this, but I'll try buying the replacement headset.
Old 01-12-19, 03:14 AM
Spearmin

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
One more question guys. The Orbit CE headset comes in 8 mm and 15 mm. Do these measurements refer to the bolt size. I asked on an on-line shop and they said it was to do with height?
Old 01-12-19, 11:00 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It’s the height of the headset cap. You can of course just reuse the one you have now.