Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is a "tacoed wheel" a wheel that is folded in two....

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-19, 11:50 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

like an Ortega taco shell?

What are the major causes of tacoed wheels?

1. hitting curbs fast?
2. running into telephone poles?
3. car accidents?
4. being overweight?
5. other?

I prefer my wheels to be straight and round like tostada shells.
When I get cold in the winter, I like to burrito up (wrap up like a mummy) under the covers while embracing an attractive partner.
Just make sure you don't get "sandwiched" between two large vehicles while riding in the streets.

Last edited by JonBailey; 01-19-19 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-20-19, 12:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Aka Pringled.

crisps in a can.. If you don't have Tacos, there..

How is it done?
Un attended to, not all spokes equally balanced.. tension... poorly built wheel?

dropping a wheel in the trolley track slot..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-20-19 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-20-19, 12:17 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,338 Times in 2,433 Posts
Originally Posted by JonBailey

1. hitting curbs fast?
3. car accidents?
4. being overweight?
5. other?

When I get cold in the winter, I like to burrito up (wrap up like a mummy) under the covers while embracing an attractive partner.
Just make sure you don't get "sandwiched" between two large vehicles while riding in the streets.
Seldom do wheels fold in half when “tacoed”. A better description would be a Pringles. The rim usually bent in two places 180° from each other like, well, a Pringles.

The causes can be many. Least likely (and, frankly, a bit insulting) is being overweight. You can easily “taco” a wheel by letting it fall over in a wheel trapping bicycle rack. I always park my bike in that kind of rack with the rear wheel only because a bike can fall over and the weight of the bike can bend the rim. Impacts can cause them but it is dependent on the angle of the impact. A straight up impact probably isn’t going to taco a wheel. A side glance could.

And if you are running into telephone poles, you have other problems you neeed to address.

Having loose spokes can cause a rim to taco, especially on hard corners. A wheel build to asymmetrical spokes...spoke heads pointing in the same direction instead of being a mirror image...is more prone to bending.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-20-19, 12:54 AM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Un attended to, not all spokes equally balanced.. tension...

dropping a wheel in the trolley track slot..
In other words, the wheel is warped like an LP record that sat in the hot sun all day long.

Shaped like the brim of a cowboy hat??
Old 01-20-19, 01:05 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
In August I was riding at night and hit a boulder that must have been chucked out into the road, or fallen off a truck. It sent me into the curb really hard. I went down, and as I hit I remember thinking how hard the impact was; it was harder than anything I had ever felt before. I had an abrasion on my chest where I landed on the stem. Both elbows and knees were badly gashed up. My left elbow had a bone chip.

The front wheel was bent such that at 0 deg and 180 deg it would rub the left brake caliper. At 90 and 270 it would rub the right brake caliper. The tire was torn open. My left shifter's little inner shift tab had a half inch snapped off it. I released the brake caliper (as if to repair a flat) and rode home on that wobbly wheel with a flat (irreparable) tire, seven miles. Well, at first I started walking but then did the math and realized I'd take more than two hours to walk home, and would wear out the shoes along the way. It got a little skittish around corners, but I made it. My gloves had blood in them from running down my elbows.

That's the closest I've come to "tacoing" a wheel. None of the spokes broke, which was pretty surprising. And in the end it was a good excuse to upgrade to a nicer wheel set. I was riding within a week, though it took a couple weeks before I could get away with not wearing gauze under my clothes.

So yes to #1 : hitting a curb at about 17 mph was enough to do it, though I suspect that it was partially the force of me landing on it, too.

I really doubt that being overweight could do it unless there was some other event to spark the tinder. Mostly it probably takes some good side force. At any rate, it's not something to worry about while riding down the road under normal conditions.
Old 01-20-19, 07:56 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,428 Times in 2,076 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You can easily “taco” a wheel by letting it fall over in a wheel trapping bicycle rack. I always park my bike in that kind of rack with the rear wheel only because a bike can fall over and the weight of the bike can bend the rim.
Learned that lesson years ago and had to ride 20 miles back to the car with a brake unhooked
Old 01-20-19, 08:45 AM
jasnooks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In other words, the wheel is warped like an LP record that sat in the hot sun all day long.

Tacoed front wheel on my cheap commuter, after hitting the side of a pickup truck that turned in front of me.
Old 01-20-19, 11:44 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Buy a new wheel .... collisions are always effective in damaging wheels and more...
Old 01-20-19, 12:13 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
It means you dropped the chalupa
Old 01-20-19, 12:29 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
5. Twenty four paired spokes.
Old 01-20-19, 12:31 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts

Taking a right-hand corner @ ~20mph. I heard a loud blam, and I was on the ground. Either the tube blew and that took out the wheel, or the wheel folded and the tube/tire were just collateral damage.

But hey, I landed on the non driveside. So silver lining.
Old 01-20-19, 03:04 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Liked 773 Times in 402 Posts
I have had wheels taco when brand new. It happens if you overtension the spokes.

I blame mechanical incompetence. 'Scuse me while I go slap myself silly.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-20-19, 03:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,078 Times in 2,640 Posts
A spoked bicycle wheel has two stable configurations - the nice round true shape we all love and that wavy form in the pictures above, much like a potato chip; "tacoed". Taco'd wheels can often be saved by backing off the spoke tension until the rim pops back to the original shape, then re-tightened and trued like a new wheel build. If this if the case, the second try will be as good as if the tacoing never happened.

Ben
Old 01-20-19, 06:06 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Liked 563 Times in 449 Posts
I was in a bike/car wreck that tacoed both wheels - handbuilt wheels from excel sports with power tap hubs. Got them rebuilt.
Old 01-20-19, 06:16 PM
408mopar

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My wife and I had just come to a stop, I was off my bike, and she lost her balance as she brought her leg over her bike to dismount. Her bike fell against mine and my rear wheel tacoed. Boom. That quick and easy.
With advice from members of this forum, I was able to repair it.
I don't think the spokes were too tight. It's an early 80's Motobecane Grand Record that sat in a basement for years, it didn't have enough miles on it to ever have been repaired. But, who knows?
Here's a link to the thread about it: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...epairable.html
I've ridden it maybe 200 miles since then. (Including a crash that took out my left rotator cuff.) Maybe I've been lucky; it's been fine. From what I've read here, it could've folded up again.
Old 01-20-19, 08:31 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 942 Times in 622 Posts

1. hitting curbs fast?
3. car accidents?
4. being overweight?
5. other?

5. Other ..... A bonehead in a race crashes right in front of you, and you crash into him, resulting in a tacoed wheel.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-20-19, 09:24 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Yes but “warped like an LP that sat in the hot sun all day long” or “shaped like the brim of a cowboy hat” or ”shaped like a formed potato chip like a Pringles” just doesn’t have the punch of “tacoed”.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-20-19, 09:33 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
I have had wheels taco when brand new. It happens if you overtension the spokes.

I blame mechanical incompetence. 'Scuse me while I go slap myself silly.
I suspect that your wheel was asymmetrical. If the spoke heads on both sides of the hub opposite of each other face in th same direction, this can make the wheel more unstable and prone to tacoing. Think of it this way, the forces spokes tend to face in the same direction so that the rim warps. If the spokes are symmetrical, the forces cancel out and the wheel stays flat

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
A spoked bicycle wheel has two stable configurations - the nice round true shape we all love and that wavy form in the pictures above, much like a potato chip; "tacoed". Taco'd wheels can often be saved by backing off the spoke tension until the rim pops back to the original shape, then re-tightened and trued like a new wheel build. If this if the case, the second try will be as good as if the tacoing never happened.

Ben
I don’t argree. You might be able to bring back an asymmetrical wheel but it would be doubt full. Once bent, however, a wheel tends to stay bent. It’s really tough to get it straight again. You have to really overtension some spokes and leave others undertensioned.

Old 01-21-19, 10:53 AM
davidad

Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I had one taco when a dog ran in front of me while going slow. I turned the wheel too far and it skidded sideways.
Old 01-21-19, 11:43 AM
madpogue 

Liked 1,763 Times in 1,198 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yes but “warped like an LP that sat in the hot sun all day long” or “shaped like the brim of a cowboy hat” or ”shaped like a formed potato chip like a Pringles” just doesn’t have the punch of “tacoed”.
"Pringled" seemed to be the buzzword of choice BITD, in the heyday of the eponymous snack. I suppose "tacoed" is preferred over the march of time. I had a front wheel tacoed when I was T-boned* by a Crown Vic in 2000. I managed to get it at least back "in the ball park", but it sat in the basement for want of an assignment, until this year. Now it, and its companion from the same bike, are the "spare set", shod with the studded tires, for my wife's winter commuter. So far so good.

*How many food-metaphoric buzzwords can one squeeze into a post?
Old 01-21-19, 12:23 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by madpogue
"Pringled" seemed to be the buzzword of choice BITD, in the heyday of the eponymous snack. I suppose "tacoed" is preferred over the march of time. I had a front wheel tacoed when I was T-boned* by a Crown Vic in 2000. I managed to get it at least back "in the ball park", but it sat in the basement for want of an assignment, until this year. Now it, and its companion from the same bike, are the "spare set", shod with the studded tires, for my wife's winter commuter. So far so good.

*How many food-metaphoric buzzwords can one squeeze into a post?
I don’t know how far back you go in BITD but I go back about 40 years and the term used has always be “to taco” a rim. A few people have tried “potato chip” but I don’t recall anyone calling a bent wheel a “Pringle”.

Old 01-21-19, 08:39 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Liked 342 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
I had one taco when a dog ran in front of me while going slow. I turned the wheel too far and it skidded sideways.
It sounds like the dog did not end up being canine carnitas. That's good.
Old 01-21-19, 10:54 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,562 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

Taking a right-hand corner @ ~20mph. I heard a loud blam, and I was on the ground. Either the tube blew and that took out the wheel, or the wheel folded and the tube/tire were just collateral damage.

But hey, I landed on the non driveside. So silver lining.
The way it sounds like you ride, you really really should consider going tubeless.
Old 01-24-19, 12:51 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Liked 6,654 Times in 3,294 Posts
A bus tacoed a wheel of mine ... from the inside.

Inside the bus. One of those folding buses. And I was sitting in the folding part. The wheel i was holding got stuck during a turn.

Bizarre occurrence, and shocking at the time. But not a big deal. Bought another Sun rim and built it back up. Fortunately, it wasn't a vintage, irreplaceable rim.
Old 01-24-19, 02:52 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
It sounds like the dog did not end up being canine carnitas. That's good.
I've seen that in the TdF before. Buy the dog a TV.