Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Short tubeless presta valve pump problems

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-19, 05:48 AM
SlinkyWizard

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.5, Giant Fastroad Comax 1 2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts

My LBS installed some tubeless tires on my bike, I had one original presta valve ( a long one ), and lost the other one , I changed tubeless to airless tires , and now going back to tubeless. The guy at the store said he had a short presta valve, and set up my wheels with one long and one short presta valve.

I went to check air pressure in my tires this morning, first the wheel with the long presta valve, locked the floor pump onto the valve, the indicator said 80psi, so pumped to 100psi,

then went to lock the pump onto the short valve, the needle on the gauge said 0 psi, I tried to push down on the pump, and I couldn't, it seemed to be stuck.I took off the pump lock thingy, tried again and same result.

I have never had a problem with the longer presta valves, but I couldn't get any air into the tire with the short valve.

Is there some kind of trick I'm missing, or something I am doing wrong?

Thank you for any advice.
Old 03-24-19, 06:09 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 377 Posts
If the valve is too short for the pump head to mechanically push it open, you have to blow it open with air pressure. It takes considerably more pressure than what is currently in the tire to do this as the surface area on the inner face of the valve is greater than that of the outer face. Try letting some air out of the tire before trying to inflate. If your pump is capable of producing the pressure needed to blow it open, you will see the pressure spike, then hear a pop as the valve blows open and your gauge should then read the pressure in the tire.
Old 03-24-19, 07:22 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 621 Posts
Maybe the valve is stuck. On Presta valves, after unscrewing the lock-nut, I always "burp" it by giving a quick tap to make sure it's not stuck.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 03-24-19, 09:10 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Maybe the valve is stuck. On Presta valves, after unscrewing the lock-nut, I always "burp" it by giving a quick tap to make sure it's not stuck.
Agreed - if the valve is the least bit sticky, it can sometimes defeat any pressure you might impose with the pump. I have occasionally unscrewed the the locknut, attached the chuck, and spiked the pump pressure to 130-140 psi to no avail. Once I pull the chuck and push the valve plunger to free it up, it inflates with no problems
Old 03-24-19, 09:13 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
+1
first thing to try