Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM Purchases Powertap

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

SRAM Purchases Powertap

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 08:03 AM
cycledogg

Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
SRAM Purchases Powertap

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...-family-419725

Seems like SRAM is trying to create a monopoly on bike products. IIRC, SRAM bought Zipp, which is a big player in the bike scene. Not sure who else SRAM bought either. But, I still consider SRAM third tier in the component lineup with Shimano, Campangnolo ( depending which side of the pond you are on) and then SRAM. In point, eTap and 1x don't seem to be doing well in the realm of things, but SRAM must be doing something right to have this ability to purchase such large companies?
Old 04-12-19, 08:23 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Shimano needs to make PM pedals.
Old 04-12-19, 08:23 AM
Quiglesnbits

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
SRAM seems to be forging ahead full steam with trying to convince consumers that bicycles should be 10,000 dollar objects.
Old 04-12-19, 08:39 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledogg
... but SRAM must be doing something right to have this ability to purchase such large companies?
Or the companies weren't doing too well and could be had for a good price.
Old 04-12-19, 08:41 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...-family-419725

Seems like SRAM is trying to create a monopoly on bike products. IIRC, SRAM bought Zipp, which is a big player in the bike scene. Not sure who else SRAM bought either. But, I still consider SRAM third tier in the component lineup with Shimano, Campangnolo ( depending which side of the pond you are on) and then SRAM. In point, eTap and 1x don't seem to be doing well in the realm of things, but SRAM must be doing something right to have this ability to purchase such large companies?
I would be willing to wager that they make most of their money on the MTB side of things. They own a very large stake of the OEM market there. Probably more than Shimano (except at the department store level where Shimano is still king...) On my MTBs, I prefer Sram drivetrains and Shimano brakes. SRAM also owns Rockshox so they have at least half of the suspension market too...

Last edited by Pizzaiolo Americano; 04-12-19 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-12-19, 09:08 AM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Good for them. Competition is good and there's nothing wrong with SRAM stuff. Don't they own Quarq as well? (I could be mistaken on that one)
Old 04-12-19, 09:11 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
Seems like SRAM is trying to create a monopoly on bike products.
Good morning, Mr Van Winkle!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-12-19, 09:13 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Yes, this is odd. SRAM already owns Quarq. This means less competition in the power meter market. (Consolidation had to happen, but it's a little surprising SRAM would be the ones doing it. The price must have been very enticing!)
Old 04-12-19, 09:48 AM
noodle soup

Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by luevelvet
Good for them. Competition is good and there's nothing wrong with SRAM stuff.
Old 04-12-19, 10:44 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,212 Times in 7,610 Posts

Seems like SRAM is trying to create a monopoly on bike products.
Uh oh. The "M" word.

Old 04-12-19, 12:32 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
they didn't not purchase Saris, Cycleops, and Fixation? they were all one big conglomerate of brands in one company with Power Tap.

Powertap is an American company out of Madison Wisconsin I believe.
I like Powertap stuff, even if their CS is subpar.

this seems crazy to me.....
Old 04-12-19, 12:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Shimano needs to make PM pedals.
SPD, please.
Old 04-12-19, 12:57 PM
enveous
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In point, eTap and 1x don't seem to be doing well in the realm of things
You need to look in the right realm - take a look at how many mountain bikes have SRAM 1x as OEM. They have been dominating that space with Eagle and Shimano is still playing catch up.
Old 04-12-19, 01:14 PM
redlude97

Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
SPD, please.
Why? Thats the last place I want a PM offroad. My SPD pedals are bashed to hell. The G4 disc powertap hub would indicate to me that quarq is even less likely to do an SPD version
Old 04-12-19, 01:30 PM
jadocs

Originally Posted by redlude97
why? Thats the last place i want a pm offroad. My spd pedals are bashed to hell. The g4 disc powertap hub would indicate to me that quarq is even less likely to do an spd version
spd-sl
Old 04-12-19, 01:34 PM
redlude97

spd-sl
shimano already makes a crankset based PM, not sure how interested they would be, this acquistion for sram IMO is to try to capture more of the OEM market which Shimano already dominates
Old 04-12-19, 01:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by redlude97
Why? Thats the last place I want a PM offroad. My SPD pedals are bashed to hell. The G4 disc powertap hub would indicate to me that quarq is even less likely to do an SPD version
Yeah good point about the pedals getting beat up. But I'd love to have a PM when I ride MTB (which isn't often) and I'd really like it on my gravel bike. I'm using Vectors and that means Keo cleats. Getting off the bike in the mud means it's going to be hard to clip back in. And sometimes I'd like to be able to get off the bike and walk more than a few steps. I got two flats on Mission Peak once, had to do the road walk of shame for a few miles back to my car after my last tube died. Rough dirt and gravel road, I ground the bottom of the screws and couldn't get the cleats off the shoes without destroying them. Mountain shoes would have been more comfortable to walk in, and the cleats last years.
Old 04-12-19, 01:59 PM
redlude97

Yeah good point about the pedals getting beat up. But I'd love to have a PM when I ride MTB (which isn't often) and I'd really like it on my gravel bike. I'm using Vectors and that means Keo cleats. Getting off the bike in the mud means it's going to be hard to clip back in. And sometimes I'd like to be able to get off the bike and walk more than a few steps. I got two flats on Mission Peak once, had to do the road walk of shame for a few miles back to my car after my last tube died. Rough dirt and gravel road, I ground the bottom of the screws and couldn't get the cleats off the shoes without destroying them. Mountain shoes would have been more comfortable to walk in, and the cleats last years.
With the new powertap wheel coming out, I'm hoping cross compatibility between TA standards with endcap swaps that will allow it to be used on my future road/gravel/mtbs.
Old 04-12-19, 02:21 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,572 Times in 3,396 Posts
Interesting.

Apparently when SRAM bought Zipp, they stopped putting Powertap hubs in the Zipp disc wheels. So, no Zipp discs with G3 version hubs (other than factory upgrades of previous hubs).

So, will the Zipp Powertaps be coming back?

The one thing that I find annoying about SRAM is their history of just dropping product lines. So, they bought SACHS, but have dropped most of the SACHS products. It also makes for odd business decisions.
Old 04-12-19, 02:24 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
SPD, please.
Agreed. They could sign me up. Not for MTB . . . for gravel.
Old 04-12-19, 02:29 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,572 Times in 3,396 Posts
Several companies (including SRAM) make crank based power meters than could be used with SPD pedals. And, of course, the hub based power meter doesn't care what kind of pedals you are using.
Old 04-12-19, 02:36 PM
jadocs

I would be interested in actual Shimano SPD-SL Power meter pedals. I already have a crank based power meter with SPD-SL pedals mounted. The flexibility to move the PM Pedals from bike to bike is what I'm looking for. Not interested in existing PM Pedals that require special cleats...and I'm not a fan of Garmin.
Old 04-12-19, 02:42 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
I would be interested in actual Shimano SPD-SL Power meter pedals. I already have a crank based power meter with SPD-SL pedals mounted. The flexibility to move the PM Pedals from bike to bike is what I'm looking for. Not interested in existing PM Pedals that require special cleats...and I'm not a fan of Garmin.
​​​​​​https://cycling.favero.com/assioma
Old 04-12-19, 03:21 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Several companies (including SRAM) make crank based power meters than could be used with SPD pedals. And, of course, the hub based power meter doesn't care what kind of pedals you are using.
Sure. But SPDs work on any bike, even road. And I have a Cervelo which means a weird bottom bracket. And the bike came with a good crank, but not pedals, so it made financial sense to get a pedal based PM. A nice bonus is when I travel and rent a bike, it's very easy to take the pedals with me and still have a PM where I'm going. Not that you need it for a couple rides on a vacation but it's nice to have, and not usually available in small towns.
Old 04-12-19, 03:27 PM
redlude97

I forgot, did we already have this discussion about using the garmin 6800 ultegra pedal conversion kit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.