Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hop after roadside flat - that fixes itself!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-19, 11:13 AM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi all,

I have a new (to me) issue that I haven't seen before on my other bikes. My current rim / tire combination (Krylion 2 700x28 / Alex DM18) seems to seat off-center after roadside fixes. The symptom is that the rear tire has a hop, as if the rim was out of true, and inspecting the bead shows one section that is seated a little deeper than the rest. In the past I've fixed this by deflating and reseating the tire at home. Today, I had a flat about 20 miles before the end of the ride, so I had no choice but to ride it out. After about 10 miles, the hop went away. Inspecting the bead confirms that it is seated OK all the way around. Has anyone had this kind of issue, and am I OK without reseating it later on?
Old 05-09-19, 03:17 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ivan_yulaev
Hi all,

I have a new (to me) issue that I haven't seen before on my other bikes. My current rim / tire combination (Krylion 2 700x28 / Alex DM18) seems to seat off-center after roadside fixes. The symptom is that the rear tire has a hop, as if the rim was out of true, and inspecting the bead shows one section that is seated a little deeper than the rest. In the past I've fixed this by deflating and reseating the tire at home. Today, I had a flat about 20 miles before the end of the ride, so I had no choice but to ride it out. After about 10 miles, the hop went away. Inspecting the bead confirms that it is seated OK all the way around. Has anyone had this kind of issue, and am I OK without reseating it later on?
Is there some reason you couldn't deflate and reseat the tire on the road? Were you using CO2 and were out of cartridges perhaps? This is one of the reasons I always carry a pump with me, even if I also have CO2 cartridges for convenience. You never know when you'll need to deflate the tire and try again in case it didn't seat correctly, or the tube got kinked, etc. With CO2, if the inflator allows it, you should at least start by inflating the tire partway, then inspect and deal with any issues before the final full inflate. I usually work my way around both sides of the bead with my fingers, pushing it in towards the center of the rim, making sure no part of the tube is trapped and the seating is good. Then when everything looks good I hit it with the full force of the rest of the cartridge.

As for whether it's safe to ride a tire like this...now that it's seated, it's probably fine. As to whether it was safe to ride it while it wasn't seated, I don't know. I probably wouldn't risk it with a tubeless, but for a tubed tire I don't see how having the bead seat too deep would increase the risk of blowoff. After all, in order for the bead to depart from the rim, it would have to slide upward over the rim wall, but the hook would catch and seat it before that could happen. With tubeless, not having the bead seated properly could cause the tire to burp and deflate which would be more dangerous.
Old 05-09-19, 03:32 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,449 Times in 1,958 Posts
A little soapy water on the tire bead will allow it to slide into place more readily.