Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

First Across The Line!

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

First Across The Line!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-05, 09:56 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
First Across The Line!

No matter the Category, Type of Race, Sprint or Breakaway. Is there any better feeling than first across the line, arms raised! Everyone who races a Bike should experience this at least once.
Old 07-01-05, 10:12 AM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
No matter the Category, Type of Race, Sprint or Breakaway. Is there any better feeling than first across the line, arms raised! Everyone who races a Bike should experience this at least once.

I hired a coach this summer for that very reason....I WILL WIN A RACE THIS YEAR. It's the last thing I say to myself before I go to sleep and the first thing I say to myself when I wake up. So far in just 3 weeks I've raised my max sustainable wattage 150w....and I'm riding less hours per week. I want to feel that arms raised and screaming before this season ends!!!!
Old 07-01-05, 10:20 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Rodies
I hired a coach this summer for that very reason....I WILL WIN A RACE THIS YEAR. It's the last thing I say to myself before I go to sleep and the first thing I say to myself when I wake up. So far in just 3 weeks I've raised my max sustainable wattage 150w....and I'm riding less hours per week. I want to feel that arms raised and screaming before this season ends!!!!
Did you install hydraulics in your legs?
Old 07-01-05, 10:28 AM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PenguinDeD
Did you install hydraulics in your legs?
Hmmm I wonder if that's against UCI rules........I do know a really good orthapedic surgon
Old 07-01-05, 10:31 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
That's an amazing increase in wattage. How much is the coach costing you?
Old 07-01-05, 10:35 AM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've experienced it, but didn't have the energy to raise my arms - it was all left back on the road! I have on ocassion not been able to resist doing it after winning a club sprint!
Old 07-01-05, 10:37 AM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's an amazing increase in wattage. How much is the coach costing you?

The first 3 months is 600 bucks, but that included my LT/Vo2max test, which was 220 bucks. The rest of the year will be $125 a month which includes one day a week (for 90mins) of personal coaching, a gym membership and unlimited email and phone calls. The pesonal coaching has been mainly in the gym working on strength training and core work. There will be a couple times when he will ride with me to check my form, especially on the TT bike.

As for the wattage increase I should mention that I was off the bike for over a month before the first test due to a calf injury. That increase would probably not have been so dramatic if I hadn't had the lay off.
Old 07-01-05, 12:55 PM
lemurhouse
carpe napum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, yes, actually I can think of at least one better feeling.....
Old 07-01-05, 12:57 PM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep on visualizing it everytime I go and race, it gets me in the mood to go and kick some butt!
Old 07-01-05, 01:37 PM
BikeInMN
Dude who rides bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Rodies
So far in just 3 weeks I've raised my max sustainable wattage 150w....and I'm riding less hours per week.
Most who actually train with power will be extremely skeptical of a 150 watt increase sustainable at any level over only 3 weeks. I'd say something is amiss if your coach is telling you that.

OnTopic - Voodoo76, you're correct!! Nothing is better than having a large enough gap that you can actually sit up and do some cheesy salute when you cross the line.

My last solo win was in a 4th of July crit last year where I got into a 3 man break and nearly lapped the field. It ended up being a 2 up sprint that I took by probably 5 bike lengths giving me enough time to do a Petacchi like 2 hand salute. Freaking awesome it was... hoping to possibly pull a rabbit out of my a$$ again this year.

Last edited by BikeInMN; 07-01-05 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-01-05, 01:59 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeInMN
Most who actually train with power will be extremely skeptical of a 150 watt increase sustainable at any level over only 3 weeks. I'd say something is amiss if your coach is telling you that.

OnTopic - Voodoo76, you're correct!! Nothing is better than having a large enough gap that you can actually sit up and do some cheesy salute when you cross the line.

My last solo win was in a 4th of July crit last year where I got into a 3 man break and nearly lapped the field. It ended up being a 2 up sprint that I took by probably 5 bike lengths giving me enough time to do a Petacchi like 2 hand salute. Freaking awesome it was... hoping to possibly pull a rabbit out of my a$$ again this year.
MN, Ill bet just being back warming up on that same course will give you goosebumps. There are a couple of Towns that I can't even drive through w/o getting a flashback.
Old 07-01-05, 02:11 PM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get flashbacks from racing even when I do not win... always thinking posistive is they key... racing is painful but the feeling you get at the end is all worth it!
Old 07-01-05, 02:13 PM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeInMN

Well my coach doesn't have to tell me that my PowerTap tells me that. Again read my reply to Penquin, I was off the bike for 5.5 weeks due to a calf injury. I did my testing after that long layoff. After training for 3 solid weeks I was up 150w. I stated that if I hadn't been off the bike for so long I doubt that the increase would have been so dramatic. The other possibility is that the day I did the test I was tired and when I did the test the second time I wasn't. All I can do is go by what the PowerTap tells us and those numbers are what we got.
Old 07-01-05, 06:23 PM
ZackJones
On Your Right

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I won the first bike race I ever entered and I still keep the $2.50 trophy I got for it proudly displayed on the shelf. It is a wonderful feeling, indeed!
Old 07-01-05, 06:41 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
The best thing is the realization that you will be the first one across the line and that it's YOU that gets to celebrate instead of explaining why you finished 2nd, 4th, or whatever.

And I think the next best thing is giving a lead-out to someone who knows how to finish it off.
Old 07-01-05, 08:40 PM
jit2
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by my58vw
I get flashbacks from racing even when I do not win... always thinking posistive is they key... racing is painful but the feeling you get at the end is all worth it!
I think that you actually have to win once before you can get a flashback. I believe what you have is wishful thinking.
Old 07-01-05, 09:28 PM
my58vw
Meow!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jit2
I think that you actually have to win once before you can get a flashback. I believe what you have is wishful thinking.
I said, I get flashbacks from races that I DID NOT win, usually moments like when I did something like breakaway at the front or was in the final 1 or 2 laps with the pack... Racing is not always about winning, sometimes it is about accomplishing a goal... and for me knowing that I will most likely NOT win a race this season is accomplishing my goals... like staying with the pack!

And yes winning is the most awsome feeling... I can still remember when I stood up on stage infront of 4000 people after winning the state parlimentary procudure contest 5 years ago...

Right now I am sycing up myself for my race on Sunday... I can still see the vision of looking back and realizing that the peloton is no where in sight... and having 50+ plus people screaming on the side of the road as I move by at over 25 MPH solo! \

Oh ya, and I have been first across the line... 1. at the start and 2. for a prime.

Last edited by my58vw; 07-01-05 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-01-05, 10:03 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
It is the best feeling.. The last race I won was about 10 years ago.. I moderately hilly road race in Calimesa, CA.. It was very windy and the field was riding in echelons for a lot of the race.. A small break formed, I joined in.. There were 3 of us riding pretty well and before we know it we have a minute on the field.. After about 10 miles of working pretty hard, we cross a set of railroad tracks.. As soon as we hit the tracks the the arms come down and a train is coming.. We all look at each other like, there never going to catch us know.. Sure enough it was a pretty long freight train and gave us an extra 5 minutes on the field.. We never saw the field again..

The finish had a short tough little climb with a slight downhill finish, which favored me.. I figured if I can hang on during the climb I would take the sprint.. 1 rider attacked hard on the climb and started to blow up at the top.. I countered and the other rider stayed with me.. I took off with about 400 meters to go and there was no way my breakaway partner had enough speed.. Hands in the air for my final victory

My prize was a 3 day all expenses paid trip to Catalina Island.. It was a nice feeling of accomplsihment when I was relaxing on the beach soaking up the rays..

The good ole days...
Old 07-08-05, 11:05 AM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...first across the line, arms raised!...
Not sure about current USCF rules, but if you take both hands off the bars to celebrate victory in a collegiate race, you will find the officials will bump you to second place.

I learned that one the hard way.

Also, if you scream at another rider "Get the f*ck out of my way!" in a group sprint the officials will also drop you place.

Who knew?

-Z
Old 07-08-05, 11:50 AM
Gustaf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I won my first race i just rolled across, primarily because i was so gassed from the sprint, but honestly I didnt realize what i had just done.
Old 07-08-05, 12:05 PM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DinoShepherd
Not sure about current USCF rules, but if you take both hands off the bars to celebrate victory in a collegiate race, you will find the officials will bump you to second place.

I learned that one the hard way.

Also, if you scream at another rider "Get the f*ck out of my way!" in a group sprint the officials will also drop you place.

Who knew?

-Z
Sounds like rather arbitrary, needless rules. If I was relegated to 2nd place because of that, I would ultimately be relegated to last place after I told the officials to go f*ck themselves!
Old 07-08-05, 12:20 PM
cedo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you finally cross the finish line in first, act like you've been there before. Too much fist pumping and screaming WOO-HOO and eveyone knows you're a noob.
Old 07-08-05, 12:38 PM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You must mean like this guy...

Obviously a noob.

-Z

Last edited by DinoShepherd; 07-08-05 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-08-05, 01:14 PM
Keith99

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Well first across the line, throwing the bike forward at the line, knowing you won but having to wait for the phote before it is official might be just a little better.
Old 07-08-05, 02:03 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
zZipping up your jersey as you cross the line is better than waiting for the film.

Gibby Hatton comes to mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.