Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Should I get a Kona Rove ST?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-20, 03:25 PM
TortoiseAvenger

Liked 24 Times in 4 Posts

I recently posted that I'm in the market for a new bike. I really appreciated everyone's help and comments. Thought about it more and done more research. (Yes, I'm in analysis paralysis.) I test rode the Kona Rove ST today. I REALLY liked it. A lot. I'm not crazy about the price though. What do y'all think about it?

To review, the bike, for now, will be my only bike. Mostly road. I'll be using it as a car replacement. I wanted:Endurance-y Road Geometry
Steel
Disc Brakes
Fender/Rack mounts
Integrated shifters, ideally SRAM
A frame worth keeping and/or upgrading.

This bike checks all the boxes--with the exception that I can't speak to how great Kona steel frames are. I really love it. Comfortable, perfect geometry (I can see traffic well but still roadish enough). What I don't like is the price... but I can swing it. Any warnings or words of caution before I pull the trigger?
Old 03-11-20, 03:29 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by TortoiseAvenger
Any warnings or words of caution before I pull the trigger?
You want endurance road geometry, but choose a gravel bike. It'll be heavier and slower than an endurance road bike. Cable-actuated disc brakes are shrug-worthy. "Integrated shifters" have been industry standard for about 20 years now.
Old 03-11-20, 03:33 PM
TortoiseAvenger

Originally Posted by Cypress
You want endurance road geometry, but choose a gravel bike. It'll be heavier and slower than an endurance road bike. Cable-actuated disc brakes are shrug-worthy. "Integrated shifters" have been industry standard for about 20 years now.
My comment about geometry should be taken to read, "Practical for city roads, don't care so much about speed."
As far as the shifters, on most bikes yes, on many of the touring bikes that potentially match my criteria, not always.
Old 03-11-20, 03:38 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
My comment about geometry should be taken to read, "Practical for city roads, don't care so much about speed."
As far as the shifters, on most bikes yes, on many of the touring bikes that potentially match my criteria, not always.
If your city roads require gravel geometry and handling, then sure, get a gravel bike. If you're riding pavement all of the time, why bother with the extra weight of a gravel bike and the pain in the butt of finding 650B road tires?

It sounds like you've already made up your mind...
Old 03-11-20, 03:58 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Seems like a nice enough bike, but it has a couple of negatives in my book:
- 650b wheels (although you can easily fit 700c for extra $$, not worth it unless you are buying a really small size or want fat tires)
- 1X drivetrain
- mechanical disc brakes
Lots of folks around here with Kona bikes, quality seems ok
Likes For mercator:
Old 03-11-20, 04:46 PM
TortoiseAvenger

Originally Posted by mercator
Seems like a nice enough bike, but it has a couple of negatives in my book:
- 650b wheels (although you can easily fit 700c for extra $$, not worth it unless you are buying a really small size or want fat tires)
- 1X drivetrain
- mechanical disc brakes
Lots of folks around here with Kona bikes, quality seems ok
I also was concerned about the 1x drive train. I'm told it can be upgraded if I feel the need. I don't know enough about wheels to have any sort of feeling on that. Based on the rest of specs, should hydraulic disk breaks be expected at $1600?
Old 03-11-20, 05:33 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I also was concerned about the 1x drive train. I'm told it can be upgraded if I feel the need. I don't know enough about wheels to have any sort of feeling on that. Based on the rest of specs, should hydraulic disk breaks be expected at $1600?
Expected? Not sure.
Available? Certainly, here's a smoking deal:
https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/equilibrium-disc-20
725 steel with 105, hydro brakes and a carbon fork
Old 03-11-20, 06:16 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Yes you should get the Kona. Those fat 47mm tires are great for city streets. Wheels/tires are tubeless ready.

The only issue is the somewhat narrow gear range. If you live in a very hilly place you might want a smaller chainring, which takes away from your high end. But that 11-42 cassette with 1x seems very popular, so it can't be that bad.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 03-11-20, 07:28 PM
bpcyclist

Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Here's just another possible way to do it: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-ar-1-2020
Old 03-11-20, 08:30 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Liked 1,056 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
If your city roads require gravel geometry and handling, then sure, get a gravel bike. If you're riding pavement all of the time, why bother with the extra weight of a gravel bike and the pain in the butt of finding 650B road tires?
It sounds like you've already made up your mind...
650b road tires are quie plentiful as I've discovered todat. Trying to fit 26x1 road tires on my daughters bike. Best I could find was a 26x1.1 somewhat decent conti. 27.5/650b had a discouragingly high number of options by comparison. Times have changed and that size is in.

I would think hydro should be. Kona tends to cost more then competitors in my experience but they are also very adept and confidence inspiring so typically worth the difference.
Old 03-11-20, 08:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 7,742 Times in 4,302 Posts
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr-725/
multiple options and the 1x has hydraulic brakes and a carbon fork for the same price as the Kona.
It checks all your other boxes too.

The 650 wheelset isnt what i would want, but you can get high quality 650 tires that are fast. 1x also isnt what I would want, but I get that many people do like it.

Kona is a reputable brand and has had a bunch of steel frame bikes thru the years.
When a brand doesnt release details about its steel frame, it's usually because it is simple/basic/nothing to highlight. That doesnt mean it's bad, it just means it is typically thicker and uses less strength enhancing features. It isnt heat treated or air hardened because if it were, Kona would mention so. It's maybe 9/6/9 butting or 1/7/1 perhaps, which will be thicker than the 725 tubing used on the Ribble bike.

In the end, geometry is most important. If it fits you well and you like how it rides, that's key.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-11-20, 09:55 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The Kona I had rode well.
Old 03-12-20, 07:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,018 Times in 3,452 Posts
You aren't crazy about the price and you think you might want to change 1x to 2x. Might be a hint there but does that override the positive hints? I don't know. There are a lot of good bikes out there. I don't think any sell a bad bike, just maybe not the right bike for any particular individual.
Old 03-12-20, 05:48 PM
jmess

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I went with a Kona Libre when they came out. I have a combination of 105 and Ultegra 2x components. I haven't found any faults with the build quality of the bike.
Old 03-15-20, 08:22 PM
TortoiseAvenger

Thanks for all the suggestions... I appreciate everyone's time to try to help me out
Likes For TortoiseAvenger: