Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Burping Magura HS11 rim brakes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-20, 01:18 AM
Winfried

Liked 119 Times in 100 Posts

Hello,

A couple of friends bought bikes that come with the Magura HS11 rim brakes.

Although the bikes are barely six months old and the pads are still far from worn, they both find the brakes a bit soft/spongy, ie. you must pull the lever a bit too much before it really brakes.

Using a T25 key, I screwed in the adjustment screw until it's flat, but it didn't make much difference.

As I suspected, Magura told me that there might be air in the system, and try bleeding the brakes.

Since 1) the bike stores are currently very busy, 2) Magura uses mineral oil, and 3) I'm used to burping my Shimano disk brakes using Shimano's funnel… I was wondering if I should try just filling/burping the HS11, and if Magura or someone else provided a similar tool instead of buying the whole kit with "Magura Royal Blood".

Could I use a simple syringe and standard mineral oil for the job?

Thank you.
Old 06-28-20, 04:06 AM
onsay99

Bikes: 3 road steelys, 3 alu, 1 mtb, 1cx

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
I have used a syringe with magura HS33 rim brakes. The magura bleed kit has a syringe in it
with magura blue mineral oil, but in an emergency, I would have no problem using shimano
red mineral oil. I have never worked with HS11 magura brakes, but the procedure is probably
very similar.
Old 06-28-20, 06:39 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Liked 1,101 Times in 729 Posts
Since you are repairing brakes, which most would consider safety-critical items, I would obtain the proper tools and supplies to do the job correctly. Brakes and tires, at least in my mind, are no place to cheap out, especially considering the liability concerns of working on someone else's bikes.
Old 06-28-20, 11:53 AM
Winfried

Liked 119 Times in 100 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'll get a kit.
Old 06-28-20, 12:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Yea, Magura's rim brakes are a closed system, where Disc brakes are open , expansion tank for heated fluid expansion..
Get the Service kit, It should include a how to page..

Raised my Bars needed to replace the rear hose, did so. (old rear shortened to be new front)

After that, haven't needed to do anything but replace brake pads in 12 years..