Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New bike won't shift

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New bike won't shift

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-20, 10:42 PM
808HIcycler

Bikes: 2020 Scott addict RC 10, 2024 Polygon Siskiu D7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
New bike won't shift

Hafa Adai all, I finally got my 2020 Scott Addict RC 10 two days ago and now it will not shift on the right shifter. At first it would shift up and I could feel the shifter clicking and attempting to engage when down****ing, but now it will do neither. The RD wants to consistently pull its self down to the smallest cog, even after slightly loosening the tension on the RD. Thanks for any help that can be provided.
Old 11-28-20, 10:44 PM
masonv45

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCRc2, 2016 GT Aggressor Expert

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
Sounds like the rear cable is slipping in the rear mech locknut.
Likes For masonv45:
Old 11-28-20, 11:43 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 484 Times in 381 Posts
If this is a new bike bought from a shop just bring it in and they'll adjust it. If not, I'll agree with the post above that the cable needs to be adjusted and tightened. Just tightening the cable won't be enough It isn't hard, but being methodical helps. Try this video as a guide: Park Tool Rear Adjustment Guide
Old 11-29-20, 12:59 AM
808HIcycler

Bikes: 2020 Scott addict RC 10, 2024 Polygon Siskiu D7

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
If this is a new bike bought from a shop just bring it in and they'll adjust it. If not, I'll agree with the post above that the cable needs to be adjusted and tightened. Just tightening the cable won't be enough It isn't hard, but being methodical helps. Try this video as a guide: Park Tool Rear Adjustment Guide
Unfortunately the shop I bought it from is closed on Sundays and I am leaving the area for several weeks tomorrow. I did watch that video with no success. The shifters are still not engaging and the RD is flush on the H screw. The alignment looks good as well. I'd rather not break anything since I can't ride it for a few weeks anyways. Plus, I will be bringing it in once I get back on island.
Old 11-29-20, 09:41 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,094 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Per this document, the bike has an electronic shifting system: https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/p...arl-white-bike so no cable adjustments.
Old 11-30-20, 07:41 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 484 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Per this document, the bike has an electronic shifting system: https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/p...arl-white-bike so no cable adjustments.
Oh. I guess I'm so old school I don't even remember that electronic shifting exists. That bike is way too hi-tech for me, and I've got power meters, sensors, and all the add-on doodads you could want. No electronic controls though.

I'd say then to just take it back to the shop, and I'm willing to bet that even they have trouble with it.

In the early days of TV, and of radio before it, everything had tubes. When things went wrong it was usually either a bad tube or a bad connection in the tube socket. You jiggled the tubes, and if that didn't work you ran the tubes through a tester and replaced the bad one. When transistors replaced tubes, it became too difficult to fix. You can't just replace the cable on the bike anymore.