Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Two different 2021 bikes that just disappeared

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-20, 03:20 PM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts

I thought this was kind of weird, then I thought it was almost as strange that no one brought it up here at all. I guess that they're not popular bikes, which of course would explain why they are no longer with us.

But still, I do find it curious. I have been mildly interested in the Trek 920 since this past summer. There were pros and cons in my mind, of course, but it was a solid contender for my 2021 winter purchase. The 2021 appeared as a frameset only, which suited me just fine. Then a week or so ago, I went again on the Trek website to gaze upon its beauty once more, and it was just gone. You click on "models" and there is no 920. It was just gone like it had never existed. This just a few months after it had been "released". Now I think it's reasonable to think the framesets were just old stock and it wasn't worth it to build complete bikes, etc. But still, all sizes were shown to be in stock just before the disappearance. It just seems so weird without any logic.

The same with the GT Grade. I think this one is even weirder. This was a definite new bike for 2021 with differences in geometry and components. This bike had both carbon and aluminum models. Just gone. All Grades have just disappeared from the website as if they never existed.

I did a search on the search engines and got nothing. Am I incredibly oblivious about something? Is this some common knowledge thing that I just missed? Have I been secretly confined to some restricted corner of the internet by some "need to know" parameters?

Can anyone enlighten me?
Old 12-05-20, 03:39 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
The 920 is here, "archived 2018-2021" :

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...0/920/p/21996/

And GT only have the "Grade Elite":

https://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/grade-elite

That's all I could find with google (well, DuckDuckGo).
Old 12-05-20, 04:19 PM
JWK

So there is no clue as to what happened.
Old 12-05-20, 04:38 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
They didn't sell well-enough? They had to prioritize due to materials and parts choices and the pandemic? The reason doesn't matter much, imho. They probably had a reason.
Old 12-05-20, 04:55 PM
Koyote

Liked 11,831 Times in 5,056 Posts
Originally Posted by JWK
So there is no clue as to what happened.
How would the reason for their discontinuation matter for your bike purchase decision?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-05-20, 06:00 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 1,127 Times in 748 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
How would the reason for their discontinuation matter for your bike purchase decision?

just a curiosity i guess.
Likes For DMC707:
Old 12-05-20, 07:06 PM
HTupolev

Liked 1,300 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by JWK
Can anyone enlighten me?
It's very common for online storefronts to remove items from the listings if inventory is depleted and the item is discontinued. Since new bicycle model years are essentially new items, this means that listings will routinely be pulled even for bicycles where a model line hasn't been discontinued.

In some cases, manufacturers will maintain some sort of archival information page for past items. Trek's 920 page is still up as an archived page, for instance, it's just not accessible from the active catalog:
Old 12-06-20, 01:58 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,150 Times in 1,402 Posts
Giant moved production for the USA to Taiwan a couple years ago due to tariffs and then back to China to meet this year’s demand. It would not seem shocking if some things got rudely canceled
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-08-20, 05:53 PM
JWK

Sorry I haven't responded. Power went out Saturday and we just got it back this evening.

Yeah, I was just curious. Knowing a reason is not, of course playing a part in any decision. I've just never seen a model disappear in the middle of a model year. Like I said, GT Grade was the real puzzler. Anyway, not so strange to some here, apparently. I'll bow to the more experienced.
Old 12-08-20, 06:01 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Liked 182 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
The 920 is here, "archived 2018-2021" :

{snipped}
I love how they used a stick to prop the bike up in the Trek picture. Seems a bit low rent for a company like Trek, although the aesthetic is kind of cute.
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 12-08-20, 07:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 8,075 Times in 4,480 Posts
The 2021 GT Grade is listed at various sites outside the US. Its on foreign GT sites and on retailer sites.
Odd that it isn't listed on the US site, but I doubt its permanent since GT just fully redesigned the bike last year.
Old 12-08-20, 07:28 PM
JWK

Originally Posted by Chinghis
I love how they used a stick to prop the bike up in the Trek picture. Seems a bit low rent for a company like Trek, although the aesthetic is kind of cute.
OMG, that's funny! In all the times I've looked at that photo, I've never noticed that stick.
Old 12-09-20, 07:59 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,170 Times in 1,333 Posts
I'd suggest you keep watching the manufacturers' sites, and see if those models don't magically reappear sometime next spring.
Old 12-09-20, 08:22 AM
indyfabz

Liked 17,454 Times in 8,156 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
The 920 was touted as an "adventure bike," hence the stick rather than a man-made item. One ad for it showed a guy running across a stream with one on his shoulder. I found that odd for a "go anywhere bike."

BTW...Surly recently discontinued a few models. including the well-regarded LHT. It now only offers the disc brake version of the LHT. You can read about why on its website.
Old 12-09-20, 05:15 PM
JWK

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'd suggest you keep watching the manufacturers' sites, and see if those models don't magically reappear sometime next spring.
Ah, I see what you're saying. I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't thought about that possibility. The events of the past year could certainly explain it.
Old 12-09-20, 05:28 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 4,049 Times in 2,756 Posts
I think they usually photoshop away the holder, but it's really common to have someone hold the bike up and run away from it while the cameraman takes pictures before it falls. So I'm sure the stick was intentional.

It's possible that an entire run of bikes might miss 2021. Who knows at this point. They are talking June for a lot of bikes. Of course, most companies have already sold through all of their 2021 bikes.